Sign in to follow this  
kelvweb

Link to winding ball so yarn comes out of the middle?

While reading a thread about must-have crochet supplies, someone mentioned that she doesn't use a yarn winder to make balls from yarn.

Instead, she said she learned to wind balls of yarn herself so that the yarn threads from the center of the ball (like it can from a skein).

Does anyone have a link that explains how to do that? :think

Thanks!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I think it's pretty nifty. Haven't tried it myself, so I"m not sure how well it works..

Hope this helps.

I don't know a website, but in looking at a 'ball winder' I would think you could do it manually as long as you don't wind over the top and bottom of the 'ball'.

I thought about giving it a try when I read the thread on winding a hank yourself. I thought I would find a piece of plastic, I'm thinking my Q hook. I'm going to leave the end hang down the hook and then wind the yarn sort of the way thread is wound on a bobbin. (winding it down the length of the hook from the top to the bottom (keeping it away from the hook end of course) and then winding it from the bottom back to the top -- doing both at a pronounced diagonal instead of horizonal circles) Then when done, carefully slide it off the Q hook.

Edited by YarnMover

I'll check this out too but we got a yarn winder for Christmas and my mom and I have never had so much fun!!:lol (Does that make us sick???)

I can tell you how I've self made center pull balls ever since the '70's. I mainly hold the ball in progress in my left hand and wind with the right, so I'm saying left or right here to indicate what I do, but feel free to use whichever hand feel right, or change them off now and then when they get tired.

Hold the starting end in your left hand with the 'tail' dangling downyour arm past your wrist and the 'hank or skein end' up to your fingers. Holding it in place with your free fingers and thumb, gently wind around your middle and pointer fingers held together about 20 times or so; then slide the yarn 'around' a little; and start mushing it loosely into a ball shape as you wind. Slip it off your fingers at this point and hold it in your hand while you continue to wind.

Mash into shape and wind loosely, so the yarn doesn't stretch out and lose it's elasticity. After every few winds, turn the ball slightly so the new layers of yarn overlap slightly but not completely. Keep going till done or until the ball is as big as is managable. I usually hold them together with large elastic bands, and try to remember to hold the skein label on there too, unless the dogs have eaten it.

and try to remember to hold the skein label on there too, unless the dogs have eaten it.

:lolmine is more like the kids take off with it!