Must-buys from JoAnn's?

kelvweb

I'm so excited- I am getting a new Joanns store near my home. I've never been in one.

Are there any neat crochet items that Joanns sells that can't be found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby? (both of which are near me).

Thanks! It's opening soon. :cheer

11FNt%2Bbt73L._SL160_.jpg

Ball winder

51c5Z6%2B48kL._SL160_.jpg

Yarn swift

I use my ball winder all the time to wind regular skeins that I purchase at craft stores into center-pull balls. I use the winder and the swift together to wind the hanks I purchase from LYSs into center-pull balls.

Disclaimer: Links above are to items that can be purchased through Crochetville's amazon associate account. I think the same items can be purchased directly at Joann's. I don't have a local Joann's, so I'm not sure if they're available just on the Joann's website or if you can also get them in a local store.

I looked for that ball winder on their website and they no longer carry it. When I was in their store I couldn't find any ball winders at all. :( I'm really disappointed because I wanted to use my 40% off coupon to get me one.

I love Joanns. Unfortunately the closest one is kind of a drive and it's hooks/yarn section is always empty. But the one where I use to live is amazing. It carries double ended crochet hooks, circular crochet hooks, tunisian crochet hooks, tons of yarn. Alot of items that michaels doesn't carry. But that might be locations. I dont know.

I looked for that ball winder on their website and they no longer carry it. When I was in their store I couldn't find any ball winders at all. :( I'm really disappointed because I wanted to use my 40% off coupon to get me one.

Hi,

I just ordered the yarn ball winder form Jo Ann's web site today. Click on the knit/crochet tab and it's there on the drop down menu.

Happy crocheting,

Hi,

I just ordered the yarn ball winder form Jo Ann's web site today. Click on the knit/crochet tab and it's there on the drop down menu.

Happy crocheting,

They have one on there, but not the one Amy posted which was the one I wanted. I've heard that the red one is more difficult to use.

Joann's used to carry the blue ball winder, as that is where I bought mine from. I think I've seen this item go on and off their website, depending on availability. I would check back in a week or two, just to see if it's back in inventory and available on their website again.

They have one on there, but not the one Amy posted which was the one I wanted. I've heard that the red one is more difficult to use.

I have the red one...i use it all the time. I love it, but then again, i haven't used any other ball winders. Mine works great though.

I got mine from Joanns with a 40% off coupon...i've had it since early spring '08.

Joann's used to carry the blue ball winder, as that is where I bought mine from. I think I've seen this item go on and off their website, depending on availability. I would check back in a week or two, just to see if it's back in inventory and available on their website again.

Oh thanks! I'll keep checking. It was there before Christmas and then disappeared. I'll admit to being partially biased since blue is my favorite color. :)

if i wish hard enough, will a Joann's come to my area???

Why don't you send an email to the company to get one in your area!!! The new ones are awesome, and you would love it!!! BTW...my husband was born in your town,, but I can never spell it!!!!

Also, for all the others here, JoAnn's.com has different things than the store does. It is run by a separate company using JoAnn's name with permission. So, the ads and items are different than the store.

Some of their line of Sensations yarns is pretty nice and they often have good sales on it. I like that they have both yarn and fabrics and a small section of cross-stitch, too, as well as magazines and books. I've even bought some of their seasonal decorator items.

Are you getting a Joann's or a Joann's Etc? The Etc is larger and carries a larger variety of items. There can be some differences in what one store carries. Maybe it's what they think will sell better in a particular area. I guess that's pretty much true for any store though.

lucky you to get a new store!!!

Ours is a tiny one and has about 10 square feet of yarn and needles---boohiss

Same here. Both are about a 45-50 mile drive from me but the Michaels has far, far more yarn and crochet supplies than Joanns and that's not a lot. I'm not even sure it would be 10 square feet at the Joanns. Michaels has one aisle with yarn on both sides and about 4 feet on the next aisle on one side.

Same here. Both are about a 45-50 mile drive from me but the Michaels has far, far more yarn and crochet supplies than Joanns and that's not a lot. I'm not even sure it would be 10 square feet at the Joanns. Michaels has one aisle with yarn on both sides and about 4 feet on the next aisle on one side.

well our M's right near the Jo's is as bad as the Jo's! But about 35 miles away in Binghamton, NY there is a large M's, Jo's, HL and ACMoores! But oddly enough I never drive there...funny how the 20 miles to Elmira is so short compared to the 35 to Binghamton! LOL!!!

Archived