Pics of yarn storage?

kelvweb

i don't have pics, but i basically have yarn shoved in every corner that is (was) empty, under the couch, behind the couch...But i do have a large basket (laundry size) that i keep by the couch, and that holds all the yarns i plan to work with in the next month or so. then i have a smaller basket that holds small balls. Oh, and i have a cabinet on the den side of the kitchen that is full of yarn...mostly cotton, some baby yarn & other yarn that I don't know what to use for.

If you have an extra space in a closet, you could get those hanging closet organizers (they have them for sweaters) that hangs off the rod and is like 4-6 squares, so you can put your sweaters in them folded. They would be great for keeping skeins organized. If your not planning on putting it in a closet, then I would use underbed boxes or large shoe boxes and store it under your bed. Some folks use those plastic tote bins too, but i don't have room in my house to put them anywhere except in the attic. And its a pain to have to go up in the attic everytime I need a certain color, so i just brought all of it downstairs. thats why i have it shoved in every corner thats empty!!

I use the plastic cube things. I can't do a good job describing it, so here's a link.

I bought two sets of those and put them on one wall of my closet. In the very bottom I put some small containers for scraps, thread, nylon yarn like Omega, and cotton. That's convenient, because it's like drawers, and I don't have to get down on the floor to see what's there. If you choose this product and this method, be sure to turn the folded-over edge of the plastic down to face the floor when you assemble it. Then your "drawers" won't catch on it, and will slide smoothly.

It works great! I used to use tubs, and I got so tired of digging for yarn that I wound up buying more rather than dig. This way I can see exactly what I've got, and when I start getting too much I know I have to stash-bust.

Right now I don't have much yarn in my stash, so I have most of it in a tote downstairs. I have a bag in my bedroom closet because I forgot it was there and didn't put it in the tote, and the yarn I'm using for my current project is sitting in a tote bag next to the couch. Eventually I'm hoping to have more storage built into all the rooms of the house and will have a small closet just for the yarn. My mom took over my old bedroom and in the closet she has those hanging sweater things filled with yarn she sorted, crates stacked up with yarn she sorted, and a few totes full of odds and ends of yarn. That's kind of what I'll be going for when I get the storage and more yarn to fill it! :)

I use the plastic cube things. I can't do a good job describing it, so here's a link.

This is what I was thinking of getting. My only concern is that I've seen these before as wire mesh cubes and they would collapse if there was too much weight on them because the plastic bits that were used to connect them weren't strong enough. Have you had any problems loading these up with stuff?

• 1 year later...
This is what I was thinking of getting. My only concern is that I've seen these before as wire mesh cubes and they would collapse if there was too much weight on them because the plastic bits that were used to connect them weren't strong enough. Have you had any problems loading these up with stuff?

I was digging up this old thread because of another more recent conversation about stash storage, and I just saw that you asked me a question that I never got back to answer. Sorry about that!

I realize it's probably too late to do you any good, but for the sake of anybody else who is reading this thread - the answer is no. I have not had any trouble with the shelves collapsing. But I'm not storing books or anything really heavy, either. I'm storing yarn. So I can't say if they'd hold up under a lot of weight. :yarn

I store my red heart worsted weight in an old dresser. One drawer holds, reds, yellows, oranges, another has pinks, purples, another blues, greens, another brown, black and another for white. I have a duffel bag that holds my sugar n cream yarn. I keep my dishcloth book, pr of scissors and a G hook in there so I can just grab n go if I need/want to grab somehing in a hurry.

ON top of the dresser holds all my crochet books/magazines.

Yarn stash is in plastic tubs - I have 6 of them in various locations throughout the house

Current projects are in a basket by the couch

Pattern books are stashed next to the couch - leaning against the wall

Hooks, sissors, stitch markers, etc - on table next to couch

Completed projects in large basket on top of TV cabinet

One large project in the works is in a tub by itself with the yarn to go with it - it is a project I am working on with a neighbor as I teach her new stitches - it has turned into a long term project, and I cannot get ahead of her :)

I have a pretty bag that I can throw whatever small current project into and take with me - as I crochet everywhere I go....

I use plastic milk crates, and i have them lined up on my shelfs in my bedroom clset

I get mine from a local resturant that my 2 friends and myself meet at weekly for coffee and crochet. they just throw them away so I asked them to save them for us.

they work nice.. all my yarn is visible.. and stored neatly.. and easy access

post-31502-135897578554_thumb.jpg

I store all my crochet stuff in one large plastic bin by the couch. I try to only buy yarn for specific upcoming projects so my stash isn't very large. I keep all of my printed patterns and sketched ideas in one of those big zippered notebooks along with a pencil/pen, templates for sketching out ideas, and a copy of the Standards and Guidelines for Crochet and Knitting from yarnstandards.com. I keep all of my hooks, measuring tape, needles, etc. in a latchable box that a granny square kit came in (one of my first crochet-related purchases). So far it is working out well. It's even big enough to store my one unfinished project (blanket for my niece).

• 10 months later...

Right now yarn and books/mags not currently using for a project are stashed in plastic totes under the bed, in the basement, and in the living room. WIPs are in all sizes of tote bags in bedroom and living room and some older ones in totes. I'm hoping to find an old wardrobe or cabinet for cheap at an auction so I can refinish or paint it. Then organize it all (or most:think) together where I can see what I have in one place. My husband and sons will be glad when that project gets done.

Archived