FosterMom

To Knot or not?

Question

I have always been told that you should never make knots when crocheting but I am always afraid that the darn thing will fall apart someday with just weaving in ends. I just asked my niece this weekend if her afghan fell apart yet. Her answer " No, should it have?" LOL.

What do you guys do?

Thanks,

K

25 answers to this question

Purists say not to knot; but I do. I tie a knot when changing colors or ending off and leave long ends which I then weave in. To weave properly, go in one direction a bit, and then another so the stretch of the fabric won't pull them out.

I knot and then weave also. I am afraid that it will come apart if I don't!

To keep knots from showing you crochet over them so they are hidden under a stitch. That way, you can neither see them or feel them.

I also knot then weave in ends. I try to make the knot in the midst of the stitch, so it is somewhat hidden by the stitch.

I've only done a knot once. I didn't like the way it looked so I ended up taking it out and just weaving the ends in.

I never knot and have never had a problem with my ends coming undone.

You make a tiny little tight one and then work it into the center of the st.

I still have and use the ghan my grandmother made me when I was 12. I'm 35 now. 2 of the ends have finally worked their way out. I am happy that she knotted them - it was just a matter of running them under instead of having to fix a st. (granny sqs with wintuk and G hook)

If a knot is necessary, I knot it. If I can get away with weaving over when changing colors, or fastening off one color then starting in the next with weaving I do that. If I'm awfully concerned about it coming undone, I knot it. Especially if it is a gift; I certainly wouldn't want it coming undone. I make a tight knot and work it into an inconspicuous spot. It's like bottle feeding vs. nursing---some are so against tying knots that you almost feel guilty for doing it. Go ahead. Tie a knot if it makes you feel better :)

I never knot and have never had an issue with it coming undone. When I am done with one color or end a skein, I finish it off, or fasten off, leaving a tail to weave in. Then I do a starting loop on the hook with the next color or new skein of yarn and do a slip stitch in the required stitch and then the stitch asked for --- or I start the new color with the starting loop on the hook (like when you are doing your starting chain) and begin with a single crochet in the required stitch.

Each end is finished off

Each start is started with the starting loop, also leaving a tail to weave in

If I am changing a color in the course of a row and I am 'done' with the old color, I keep the last remaining two loops on the hook and use a second hook to fasten the old color off through the last loop, then I put the new color on the end of the hook with a starting loop and draw it through the two loops on the hook and complete the stitch. Then the next stitch counts as the first stitch of the new color.

Edited by YarnMover

Knot and then weave, I'm another one who's afraid it will come apart.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer and explain. I have knotted and always felt like I was doing something wrong and any crocheter that saw my work would know it. I have also just weaved in ends and as I said, worry that it wil fall apart. Of course I doubt that if that happened the person would tell me LOL.

Thanks again,

K

I knot! It's easy to hide on an afghan because I just do a border of some sort to cover it up.

I usually just weave my ends in, but when working with the fluffier yarn (Buttercup, boucle, etc) knotting wasn't really an issue since you can't tell. It was easier knotting those then trying to weave in because of the size of the stitches and way the material came together. I don't think it really matters as long as you can't see or feel the knot in the project.

I knot and then weave the end, knot and all. The knot usually hides really well. I had a sweater that I just weaved and gave as a gift unravel on one seam, since then, I knot!

I also knot and weave. I've never had any knots sticking out. I just can't finish an item without knots. :D

sore

Yes, my name is Toni and I am a knotter. :lol. I knot both thread and yarn. I make my knots very small and tight, then weave in the ends. I have never had anything come apart and have had to actually cut things open to take something out because I had the ends woven in so well even I couldn't find them.

I make sure they are hidden and can't be felt.

I know that you are not supposed to knot and when I do counted cross stitch, I never knot, however those items are not used like an afghan or doily or wearable.

TLOL,

Toni

Well I crochet a little loose so if I am doing an afghan in caron simply soft wen I change colors at the end of a row I tie the new color onto the old snugging it right up against then I start the stitch with the old color and finish it with the new then when I turn I crochet over the ends a little then when done weave in. A lady from my church group that has crocheted many years taught me this and that is how they do it on my coats and clark CD and it works for me. Mary!

I have crocheted for almost 30 yrs and have never done a knot! I am obsessive about how I weave in end though!!:lol:hook

I weave (well just a bit), knot, weave. I do a tight knot so it can go under the stitches. And so it's not bulky.

I crochet so loose that if I just weaved, it would come out.

Plus I'm one of the ones afraid it will come apart.

Of course if you can weave in ends and not knot, then do that.

I remember seeing a video on youtube how to weave in ends, but the way he showed it, as I said on mine they would come out because the stitches are too loose... So you can check youtube if you need to. Just do a search.

I'm a knotter (nutter, too!). I made granny square afghans when I was pregnant with each of my children. Lots of color changes, lots of knots.

Those blankets have been thru the wash a thousand times, and not one thread has ever shown.

My eldest is 30yrs old, my youngest is 27.