My Wonderful New Doily Board

Katchkan

Any of you that know me know that I do a lot of doilies. I have been using a cutting table with padding to do my blocking on, But I have been wanting to have something a little less cumbersome to use for my blocking. One that gives me a large range of sizes. After a lot of thinking and planning I came up with this. It is 30 inches across so I can do a doily up to 29 inches across easily. It is set up so I have guide spokes for 6 and 8 point doilies. It also has concentric circles of 1 inch intervals so I can pin equally around. I just used it for the first time on my latest design and I can't tell you how pleased I am with it. It is wonderful to work on and it was so easy to get my doily just the way I wanted it pinned out. It holds my pins firmly, but is easy to pin into.

th_DoilyBoardB.jpg[/url]th_DoilyBoard.jpg

I just had to share this with you.

It looks great, Kathy. Similar to what I use, but mine is only 26" diameter. I used a piece of pink foam (insulation of some sort) I got at Home Depot, and my DH did the concentric circles on it, at 1" intervals. I cover it with plastic wrap.

It looks great, Kathy. Similar to what I use, but mine is only 26" diameter. I used a piece of pink foam (insulation of some sort) I got at Home Depot, and my DH did the concentric circles on it, at 1" intervals. I cover it with plastic wrap.

Mine is done with high density foam, felt and canvas. It doesn't need to be wrapped in plastic wrap to use. Moisture won't hurt it. Should last me a long long time.

That looks like a wonderful, useful tool. Maybe you should market them for all of us doily fans. I sure would get one.

Marcia

Unfortunately it is a little pricey to make. Would have a hard time marketing it for anywheres worth the time and money put into it. For me it was worth it as I use it so much. The thought did cross my mind though. Not to mention this hummer is fairly heavy, it would cost a fortune to ship.

That is super...

How did you attach the felt and canvas? Would spray adhesive work, or would it cause the pins to not go in?

And that blue doily is exquisite...

I used to do uphostlery work when I was younger so I used the method I would have used to do a chair seat. The canvas is stretched over everything once it is all put together. The felt? I did use spray adhesieve to attach it to the high density foam.

I used to do uphostlery work when I was younger so I used the method I would have used to do a chair seat. The canvas is stretched over everything once it is all put together. The felt? I did use spray adhesieve to attach it to the high density foam.

Thanks Kathy, if you don't mind my borrowing the idea, I think I may try it...

I'm working on an oval doily and was wondering if you'd come across something that would make radiating spokes for an oval with the proper proportions? I've been struggling trying to remember high school geometry. Something like an oval has 2 focal points but I haven't been able to figure out how that would help me with the radiating lines.

I think that I'd draw a straight line between the 2 focal points and lines would be perpendicular to that line while being parallel to each other. But how to make the radiating spoke lines?

What did you use to mark the circles and lines?

Marcia

I used a sharpie. I did test it on a piece of canvas to make sure it wouldn't run when wet or sprayed with spray starch. DO NOT use Scotch guard on it it will run. There is a chemical in it that loosens the dye. But water and spray starch don't hurt it in the least. I used black on the 8 point spokes and the circles and blue on the 6 point spokes.

For anyone doing one of these:

I used 2 layers of the high density foam, covered with felt and then completely covered with my marked canvas. It is all on a piece of 1/2 inch plywood. I have a card board backing on the backside to protect my floor and table when I am using it.

I put a lot of thought into making this. Tried to cover all my needs.

I do plan on making one more with a graph for doing my filet work. But it will have to wait until next month. Spent enough on this project for right now.

I'm working on an oval doily and was wondering if you'd come across something that would make radiating spokes for an oval with the proper proportions? I've been struggling trying to remember high school geometry. Something like an oval has 2 focal points but I haven't been able to figure out how that would help me with the radiating lines.

I think that I'd draw a straight line between the 2 focal points and lines would be perpendicular to that line while being parallel to each other. But how to make the radiating spoke lines?

I have no idea where you could find a graph for that. I use a regular graph when I do my oval doilies. Not perfect but works well enough for my needs. I have plans of making a square graph blocking board next.

Kathy-

Please share the one you plan for the filet pieces. I am working on a very large Elvis graph in filet and know I'm going to have a problem when it comes time to blocking. I would love to see what you come up with!

Thanks,

Krista

Ovals vary so much in shape that I don't think you could come up with a formula to fit all of them. I'm trying to reach waaaaaaayyyy back in my memory here to 1965, so bear with me, but I think you draft an oval with string following around two points, not a single point like in a circle. Lemme try to look it up...

OK, that's right. Take a look at pages 8 and 9 of Does Earth-Sun Distance Cause Seasons? for instructions on drawing a pefect oval. Only... depending on how far apart your push pins are and how loose or taut your string is, the oval changes shape dramatically. Some are skinny and others are pretty fat. You can't come up with a universal oval template for each crochet project because there is no such thing.

I have a gridded blocking board, that I made years ago when I bought my knitting machine. That was made with a preprinted canvas top over a thick wool blanket and plywood. I use it when blocking doilies, but because it has no circles, it is a tiresome process. I recently looked for a canvas printed with circles and found there is nothing on the market.

While marketing the entire board might be too costly, marketing a pre-printed canvas topper with instructions for construction might prove to be quite profitable. You really should consider it. I know I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Nicely done.

I have a gridded blocking board, that I made years ago when I bought my knitting machine. That was made with a preprinted canvas top over a thick wool blanket and plywood. I use it when blocking doilies, but because it has no circles, it is a tiresome process. I recently looked for a canvas printed with circles and found there is nothing on the market.

While marketing the entire board might be too costly, marketing a pre-printed canvas topper with instructions for construction might prove to be quite profitable. You really should consider it. I know I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Nicely done.

Love the board, and I agree I would buy the pre-printed canvas topper and instuctions also...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been collecting materials for a board myself. I love yours!!! I'd buy the canvas topper too! I think you should consider it. There are many of us who are challenged in the math & construction areas....

Archived