Question about wearables

rshseaeagle

Question

I have a question for all,

Years ago when I knitted, I tried several times to make sweaters and always ended up with a mess. The body was to short, the sleeves to long, nothing ever fit. :(.

I have seen some really pretty sweaters, jackets, etc., that I have thought about crocheting but am wondering if I would have the same problem. I am a generously sized person :lol so I don't really want to invest the time and money in something that is going to end up a mess.

I would consider myself fairly experienced as I have been crocheting for years and have also spent many years sewing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TLOL,

Toni

6 answers to this question

I'm making my first wearable now and am doing a few alterations to it. I was thinking about holding it up to myself to get a better idea of how it's fitting. That way I can add rows to make it longer if need be, or shorten it a few rows. I'm not sure how well it will turn out, but considering I've only got 9 rows of the back section done, it's looking good so far. Maybe that's something you could do with your wearables? Measure where you can and hold it up to yourself to make sure it's in the proportions you want it to be. It couldn't hurt, and maybe it will work? I'll be sure to let you know how it works out for me once I finish my tunic/sweater.

My suggestion would be to try a top down construction.(starting at the yoke )Not only is it easier,it also gives you the benefit of trying on as you go .

I never tried a adult wearable before till I tried this time ,now I can actually start and finish them and they are actually "wearable" lol

I wonder if it would help to get started and compare it to a sewing pattern that fits as you go along. I had some success doing that with a vest pattern. It really helped me even more than the gauge swatches I made.

Even though I know the measurements I need to end up with, I still do this: for 'fit checks' I lay out on the bed an existing garment similar to the type I'm making (cardigan, pullover, etc) that fits me well, and lay out my WIP on top of it. Works great!

Archived