First Dyeing Experiment

megan

I was never even aware that one could dye yarn until I stumbled across Crochetville earlier this year. You all tempted me with your lovely pictures until I had to try it myself! I've posted quite a bit about learning to dye at my blog. There are lots of photos there, so I'll put one small one here for people who can't wait to upload tons of pics.

th_dryingyarn.jpg

The photo doesn't quite do the colors justice, but there's a serious lack of natural light in my bathroom. The colors in the multi-colored hanks are Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade, Berry Blast, and Lemon-Lime. The solid blue hanks are a 50-50 blend of Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade and Berry Blast.

This was so much fun! Thanks to all of you experienced dyers out there for the inspiration, and anyone who pokes around in this subforum, just try it!

Great work on your first time dyeing! I tried it the other day and had a great time. I used cherry, grape, raspberry and Arctic Apple Green! Sooo much fun!

Congrats!

Bec

Thanks, everyone! It was so nice to see what the members here had done as an inspiration for my own attempts. I think next time I'm going to branch out and mix grape and a red color.

I just want to know about the staying power of the colours..do they wash out easily? Do they fade more quickly than store-bought yarns do?

What I've Heard: Don't wash out if you do it correctly, don't fade faster if well cared for.

My Experience: Don't know about longevity yet. As to colors washing out, if you microwave until the liquid is colorless, they won't wash out. I did have one skein that I took out before it was completely colorless, and when I rinsed the yarn, some of the color came out. It did run clear pretty quickly, and I'm assuming that it won't bleed anymore. It was, however, noticably less intense in color than the other skeins.

Archived