Sweetheart Ripple Afghan CAL

crochetkim

I'd like to join in on this CAL! - I love your Sweetheart Ripple pattern, Kim, and am already underway, making a smaller version (toddler size?) for my young granddaughter. It's coming along rather fun and bright with alternating heart-rows in vivid pink and lavender/blue under white.

I appreciate the different tips that have been shared, which, I'm sure, have saved me from much froggin' around.

Crochet away!

Any news on when the video will be coming? :crocheting

Oh, my word! I completely forgot about that! :yes

My oldest son just came home to stay with me for awhile, so I'll have an alternate photographer and not have to worry so much about waiting for Brianna to do it. Lord knows we don't want little 4-year-old Christian to do it. hahahaha

I'll get to it soon!

Oh, my word! I completely forgot about that! :yes

My oldest son just came home to stay with me for awhile, so I'll have an alternate photographer and not have to worry so much about waiting for Brianna to do it. Lord knows we don't want little 4-year-old Christian to do it. hahahaha

I'll get to it soon!

Thanks so much! I look forward to it!

Ok, i am working away on this 'ghan (and another too!) and my MIL (whom i am making the blanket for, as a surprise) asked me to send some pic of the kids. So I burn her a DVD of pictures of the kids, forgetting that I had the pic of the blanket in them. She called me right away, saying how much she loves it and want me to tell her where I got the pattern!!! What do i do? I don't want to tell her and have her make one for herself, but then I don't want to tell her that I am making it for her. Yikes!

Ok, i am working away on this 'ghan (and another too!) and my MIL (whom i am making the blanket for, as a surprise) asked me to send some pic of the kids. So I burn her a DVD of pictures of the kids, forgetting that I had the pic of the blanket in them. She called me right away, saying how much she loves it and want me to tell her where I got the pattern!!! What do i do? I don't want to tell her and have her make one for herself, but then I don't want to tell her that I am making it for her. Yikes!

Tell her that you'll need to look around for it and you'll get back to her soon. :)

Kim, I did! But she also knows I am working on it. . . and she will hound me until I tell her, but I know it will take a while for her to start working on it also . . . I just hope she doesn't make one for herself! haha. She is the one who really taught me to crochet, I had the basics down, but she taught me to read a pattern and really got me going. Well the worse that can happen is she gets an early Christmas gift!

Hi Kim,

I'm not sure about anyone else, but my problem wasn't how to make the stitch, it was being confused on the placement of it. (I wasn't putting it in the right place, and ended up frogging many rows, and trying over till it looked right.) Is that a problem anyone else has had, or is having?

BTW, the video is great for showing how to make the stitch! :yes

Well, I'm not sure how much help it will be since we are by no means professional videographers. But, for those of you wanting a video of the modified front post treble that I used for this afghan, here you go:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/crochetkim/?action=view&current=DSCF0255.flv

I'm not sure about anyone else, but my problem wasn't how to make the stitch, it was being confused on the placement of it.

I definitely agree! The placement of the stitch is certainly causing a bit of a problem and I'm hopeful that all my prior tips/instructions have been helpful.

I'm walking a thin line between being helpful and giving away the pattern. As much as I love to help with a crochet-along, I have to be careful that I'm not giving away too much since I wouldn't want to get into trouble with the publisher. I have to try to be as careful as possible in helping.

Fortunately, the instructions don't indicate that you make the stitch in any kind of an angle. It is straight down into one of the stitches below, albeit the fabric is turned because of the ripple. If you turn it so that it is horizontal, find the appropriate stitch, then turn it back, it helps.

But, the good news is that, once you figure out where to place the stitch in order to create the heart, it gets a lot easier in future rows. :hug

I was a late-starter to this CAL, and have likely missed out on the original wave of completed Sweetheart Ripples, but having started just under two weeks ago, and despite a heat-wave and limited time for crocheting, I now have 14 rows of hearts. Cooler temps are in the forecast for this week so I'm hoping to pick things up a bit. = : )

• 1 month later...

How are those doing who haven't finished it yet? I can say I am a little under half way, had to do a 'ghan that fits on a queen size bed, or I would be done by now :) I don't need it done before Christmas so I still have time. I was kinda worried that i would have to learn the stitch all over again after putting it down, but I picked it right back up and away I went. It is a fun easy stitch to do.

Mine is still waiting to be finished...I haven't picked it up since summer arrived....just too hot for me to work on it. I was worried, too, that I might forget how to do the stitch, but thankfully I kept all the hints and tips from this board if I run into a fog when I go back to it. I LOVE how the pattern works up. I'd say mine is a little more than 1/2 finished. When the weather changes, I'll get mine going again. :crocheting

How are those doing who haven't finished it yet? I can say I am a little under half way, had to do a 'ghan that fits on a queen size bed, or I would be done by now :) I don't need it done before Christmas so I still have time. I was kinda worried that i would have to learn the stitch all over again after putting it down, but I picked it right back up and away I went. It is a fun easy stitch to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I posted this already today, but must have logged off while in preview mode :shrug. -Anyway, I finally finished the Sweetheart Ripple that I was working on for my Granddaughter and posted it in "Show and Tell", if anyone would like to take a peek: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105297

I was hoping to see other CAL members finished projects coming down through the thread. -I'd love to see how they turned out!

I just started this afghan yesterday. So I will join this cal. I have to have my afghan done by October 9th. It's a gift for my old 3rd & 5th grade teacher. I had the same those 2 years. I am now 27 and will be seeing her on the 9th for the first time in over 10 years so I wanted to make something for her since she was stuck having me as a student for 2 years. She was one of my favorite teachers.

Thank you, Marlene! Actually, the true colors don't show up very well on the outside shot, but somewhat closer to true on the photo with my DGD. I used Caron Simply Soft, 'Lavender Blue' (more lavender than blue) and 'Watermelon' (a bright pink). I'm happy with how it turned out, and would like to try the pattern again sometime with more subtle colors for a different affect. I look forward to seeing your Sweetheart Ripple when you finish it! :yes

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I just started the afghan and not sure if I am doing the 5th row correctly. When you start the fptr-sc are you going down 3 rows and not 2 rows (are you actually doing this stitch in the lighter purple - deep plum heather) and when it says to do the fptr-sc twice are you doing it in two different stitches below and when you sk 2 sts and then doing fptr-sc twice again it seems like the doing the 3 sc will be off. After I get how to do this row, I am sure the afghan will go pretty fast. Really like the pattern.

Thanks for your help.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...