Sweetheart Ripple Afghan CAL

crochetkim

Kim

Thank you, for the photo, but it is actually the second row just after turning from the first row. Ch 1, sc dec in the first 2 sc, sc in the next 4 sc,* 3 sc in the next sc.

It's hard for me to be absolutely certain since I don't have my issue of the magazine yet. But, here is the "translation" of the above.

Ch 1, work a decrease single crochet across 2 sts, work a single crochet in each of the next 4 sts, * work 3 single crochet in the next st...

You are going to be creating a ripple. With all ripples, you go up a rise. When you get to the top, you increase the number of stitches (3 single crochet in the next st), when you go down to the dip between the ripples, you decrease stitches (you'll see that 2 stitches are decreased at the dip in this ripple).

Thanks Kim,

I got it, I'm on row 5 now. I don't know why I coundn't this thing started, but I got it now. I'm gonna be working on this afghan and watching my Steelers play tomorrow. So don't know how much crocheting I'm gonna get done. Thanks again.

Well I knew I wasn't gonna get much done, I only finished 4 more rows. Had to watch both playoff games. So now it the Cardinals and the Steelers in the Superbowl. And you know I'm going for the Steelers.How is everyone else coming along?

Thanks Kim,

I got it, I'm on row 5 now. I don't know why I coundn't this thing started, but I got it now. I'm gonna be working on this afghan and watching my Steelers play tomorrow. So don't know how much crocheting I'm gonna get done. Thanks again.

Wonderful! Glad to hear it's working for you now. :)

Ok, count me in on this CAL. I just couldn't resist when I found raspberry and pink at the store today, it's even the Caron SS just slightly different colors. Want to get started tonight!

I would like to join since I all ready started... :lol. I saw this cal on Friday but I'm off line during the weekends.

I didn't see the hearts either when I did the first row of the fptc-sc, and didn't realize that the hearts were going from the top to the point (in the "hills" of the ripple). So I changed it so I could see them in the "valleys" (I spent a long time trying to figure it out and couldn't:blush). So my hearts are smaller, but I have hearts going both ways.

I like RH, so I'm using that. I choose Cherry Red and Soft White (suggestion from a coworker who I asked, she actually suggested white and red but walmart has been sold out of white since the beginning of December:angry). I like the soft white with it though.

I'm on the second skien of offwhite and I think 2 more rows of red will finish off the first one of red. [sorry for the shadow].

th_heartafghan1-20a.jpg

[clickable for larger photo]

Here's a close up (I took this to put on my cell phone wallpaper and my computer desktop wallpaper):

th_heartafghan1-20b.jpg

[clicable]

Debbi

Prpl4me: I had the same problem between rows 1 & 2 (not counting the chain). I think the first time I tried to decrease at the end of row 1 instead of the beginning of row 2. Got to the end of row 2 and realized all the hills & valleys had been off by 1 the whole time. So now I'm back on track.

Debbie-a1: Very nice pictures. Love that you got the hearts to go both ways. Very COOL.

Cheri

I really haven't worked on mine to much since Sunday. I really like the pattern alot now that i got it figured out. I think after I get this one done, I might do another, but in different colors. Well, we'll see as time goes on. How is your coming along Owl?

My dd's are in love with that pattern. I want to join. I have to buy yarn but each of my girls want one, so I'll be making 4 over the course of this year. That's the plan anyway. I'll be figuring out colors and buying yarn for the first one in the next couple weeks. I have another afghan to finish first.

This will be really fun :)

I may be able to get this mag today. it's sort of my last chance so pray for me ladies. I would love to do this one as my big afghan for the year.

My son is buying a house and this would be wonderful as a housewarming gift for them.

Ok, big favour time... :dreaming

Would anyone be willing to buy one of these mags and send it to me. I will pay your costs and throw in a bonus if it can be done. PM me if you could do this and I will send an addy. ( I would even send some Dora clothes if that would appeal to anyone.)

I would really appreciate this if it can be done. :hug

Thank you all. I have my pattern coming and now I just need to go get some yarn (It will soooooooo nooooot be Simply soft :rofl )

I should probably check with no.1 son to decide colours. :think

Dee, wow, 4 afghans. But they will be nice, I'm sure. I like the one I'm working on. Had to stop to make some little hearts for a coworker, but I am ready to get back on this. I just love the pattern.

Darski I'm glad you're getting the pattern, I can't wait to see what colors you choose .

Debbi

Slow progress on my end. I'm wondering now if my original chain was off by 1. The first heart was lopsided, so I went back and put an extra sc at the beginning of the row, so that's fixed. Wonder if it will mess me up when I get back to that end next time?

I'm having a hard time at the bottom of the V getting the triple to stay tight at the top. This is one time I wish I could watch someone do the stitches.

I'll check back in later - maybe I'll get some more Hearts to look like real hearts.

Cheri

I'm having a hard time at the bottom of the V getting the triple to stay tight at the top.

I'm having issues w/row 5... i don't know what i'm doing wrong. I just can't seem to get the hang for where to put my stitch at for the fptc-sc

I'm having trouble with both of the above :( I had to put it down for a couple of days because I was getting very frustrated. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having issues w/row 5... i don't know what i'm doing wrong. I just can't seem to get the hang for where to put my stitch at for the fptc-sc. I'll keep working at it...

Try turning your afghan piece so that your stitches are horizontal across. The stitch you'll be using in the two rows below will be in a direct line below. It's just easier to see it when you turn the piece horizontally instead of trying to determine which is the stitch when your work is diagonal ripples (at least until you become familiar with proper placement).

I have to turn mine like Kim said to find the placement, but it seems to get easier as you go along. Just keep playing with it.

ok - I think I had a lightbulb moment and finally got to row 6! Then I came back and read comments which funny enough is what I did.. I think this is right:

th_1232598230.jpg

The colors are not true in the picture at all! I'm using a light and darker shades of purple.

so..... i thought when i had my lightbulb moment and finished row 5 i was all good.... well.... then i got to row 6 (which is to repeat row 2) - i get to the end of row 6 and something didn't come out right...

the end part for row 2 (which is also row 6) says: ... across to last 7 sc, 3 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 4 sc, sc dec in next 2 sc...

My problem is I had an extra stitch at the end. I don't know why. I didn't have that problem w/the original row 2. I suppose I'll need to go back and check my row 5 again. I know once I get it going I'll be fine. I just hope I can find where I'm going wrong...

My son isn't ready to commit to any colours yet as they aren't even the proud owners at this point... it's in process.

So I think I will just pick white plus another colour YTBD and go with it.

I could always make another one later ... right?

:rofl