Sweetheart Ripple Afghan CAL

crochetkim

I have 6 rows of purple hearts now! I took it with me to work on while my daughter was in her ballet class. It isn't hugely portable but for sitting in the Minivan it's great! Grace is excited to get her new blankie!

Quick question about decreasing for a scarf. The afghan starts with a chain 207, which is a multiple of 13 minus 1. Should I start a smaller project with a multiple of 13 minus 1 or a straight multiple of 13?

Quick question about decreasing for a scarf. The afghan starts with a chain 207, which is a multiple of 13 minus 1. Should I start a smaller project with a multiple of 13 minus 1 or a straight multiple of 13?

You should decrease or increase from the original count in multiples of 13. So, you take the original count of the afghan and decrease 13 or 26 or 39, etc.

I absolutely love the look of the afghan, but I'm not sure if I have the spacing right on the fptr-sc. People have seen me working on this at work during lunch, and they tell me it's the prettiest afghan I've ever crocheted. Kudos to Kim on her design!

th_P1270003.jpg

Edited by yarnjeannie

Ok, nevermind on both of my previous two questions...

Answers I've figured out on my own...

1. Yes, you start w/ a multiple of 13 minus 1

2. It's only 1 FPTR-SC on each end of the scarf, you only do double-FPTRs in the interior.

So far so good!

You should decrease or increase from the original count in multiples of 13. So, you take the original count of the afghan and decrease 13 or 26 or 39, etc.

Ok, I understand. So for me to do a scarf, I would chain 38 (which is 207 minus 13*13), and is also 13*3 minus 1, so both methods end me up in the same place :)

Thanks! Alaina

Ok, one last question (I think)...

Do you carry the non-used color up the sides or do you snip and then weave in the ends?

And if you are carrying it up the sides, how do you do that so it's not visible?

Thanks, Alaina

Ok, one last question (I think)...

Do you carry the non-used color up the sides or do you snip and then weave in the ends?

And if you are carrying it up the sides, how do you do that so it's not visible?

Thanks, Alaina

I carried the colors up the sides because I didn't want a lot of ends to weave in later. They will show until you put the edging on. When you work the edging, just be careful to crochet over the color changes, so they're covered up.

I absolutely love the look of the afghan, but I'm not sure if I have the spacing right on the fptr-sc. People have seen me working on this at work during lunch, and they tell me it's the prettiest afghan I've ever crocheted. Kudos to Kim on her design!

Great job, Jeanne! :cheer

I carried the colors up the sides because I didn't want a lot of ends to weave in later. They will show until you put the edging on. When you work the edging, just be careful to crochet over the color changes, so they're covered up.

Cool beans! Thanks! I figured out how to carry the color up the side, and then realized after reading the WHOLE pattern, that edging goes on it!

I'm doing a scarf in red and white (Ella Rae), and have 30 rows done so far.

I think I finally figured out my post placements so they don't look so wonky. And I love the rippling on the other side, I think I like that better than the heart-side! :lol

Great pattern! Thanks! Alaina

That's what I love about the afghan. I don't like weaving in ends (have done it, still have an afghan to finish weaving in ends from multiple color squares) but prefer not to.

Jeanne, your afghan looks good.

Debbi

In order to start this ghan I am going to just make one using Purple and White yarn but I will be using my usual RH yarns.

When it is time to make one for my son, I will buy the yarn for it (Ouch... that's gonna hurt my stash busting score :sweat )

:wlol

just signing in to say that I have finally started it officially. I had a bunch of WIPs to see to before getting even more yarn out storage. :wlol

I have 2 rows done but since it is sc I am going to take a break so I have my wrists for the Superbowl cal later today.

It is great to have it started. I am making a smaller version for this test drive so I am hoping that I have enough yarn to do it.

How are you starting the afgan - using the lighter color or the darker color. I started making this using RH Burgundy and Aran - I started with the Burgundy and my afghan looks odd to me. I just can't see the heart design! I have read all these posts and looked at photos but still don't see the design. And the photos look like the afghan is turned bottom up. Help!

Edited by some1uno
spelling and addition

You want to start with the light color. The second color you start with will be the hearts. Unless you want the hearts light. Whatever color you use second will be the color of the hearts.

The afghan is upside down. You are correct. Turn your work upside down and see if you can see the hearts. You work from the top to the point of the heart (in a way). If you turn the photo in the magazine upside down you will see it match your work more closely.

Debbi

For some reason I decided I needed a new purse:blush. I'm almost done with the crocheting but then thought, I should just make me a purse organizer and change it with purses, this way I can make faster purses (no pockets, cell phone holders, etc) and change purses easily as needed.

So my sweetheart ripple has been put on hold for a few days. Besides I think I needed a break anyway. I'm not trying to finish it for anything special, so no rush. Hearts are appropriate anytime of the year (valentine is just a great excuse for us to crochet them:lol).

Debbi

Call me crazy - but I wasn't quite happy with the way the hearts were turning out on this afghan. I felt that I had the spacing off on the trfp-sc's. One side of the hearts looked a little bigger than the other side, almost like they were lopsided.

P1270003-1.jpg

Even though everyone who saw it thought it looked fine, I wasn't satisfied with the look of it. Is anyone else as fussy as this?

Anyway, I frogged it back to row 4, then started row 5 again. I have it now! I've redone the afghan and I love the way it looks. Now the hearts are all uniform in size and I'm very very happy with it. I can't wait to finish it!

P2060002-1.jpg

Call me crazy - but I wasn't quite happy with the way the hearts were turning out on this afghan. I felt that I had the spacing off on the trfp-sc's. One side of the hearts looked a little bigger than the other side, almost like they were lopsided.

P1270003-1.jpg

Even though everyone who saw it thought it looked fine, I wasn't satisfied with the look of it. Is anyone else as fussy as this?

Anyway, I frogged it back to row 4, then started row 5 again. I have it now! I've redone the afghan and I love the way it looks. Now the hearts are all uniform in size and I'm very very happy with it. I can't wait to finish it!

P2060002-1.jpg

You were right. It looks so much better when you see the difference. :hug

Jeanne

I am like you in that I want my projects to be perfect. My grandmother always told me that if it was worth doing, it was worth doing right. Can't tell you how many times I have frogged things that others thought were fine.

I started the afghan the other night and took me until 1:00am to get my spacing right. Will post a picture when I get it finished. Making it in gold and pumpkin. Sounds a little funny, but is turning out good.

Charlotte

...I felt that I had the spacing off on the trfp-sc's. One side of the hearts looked a little bigger than the other side, almost like they were lopsided...Even though everyone who saw it thought it looked fine, I wasn't satisfied with the look of it. Is anyone else as fussy as this? Anyway, I frogged it back to row 4, then started row 5 again. I have it now! I've redone the afghan and I love the way it looks. Now the hearts are all uniform in size and I'm very very happy with it. I can't wait to finish it!

P2060002-1.jpg

What change did you make to get the hearts even on each side?

What change did you make to get the hearts even on each side?

I was wrapping my first double set of fptr-sc (the ones that slant from right to left) around the wrong stitch on the indicated row below. If you notice the photo below, you will see what amounts to 3 stitches showing on the first half of the heart before the fptr is wrapped, and only 2 stitches showing before the fptr on the other half of the heart. I hope you can see what I am talking about.

P1270003-2.jpg

What I did was wrap the fptc on the next stitch up, so that both sides of the heart show two stitches before the fptc. See the photo below:

P2060002-2.jpg

I'm not sure if this is exactly the way Kim intended it to look. Perhaps the hearts should be bigger but I do know that at least they all look uniform.