Sweetheart Ripple Afghan CAL

crochetkim

Melissa your picture looks good. I've had a couple extra or missed stitches:blush, so far I've been able to just fudge it as I'm not one for frogging/ripping out. This is why I avoid ripples, because the first one I did so many years ago, I had trouble keeping the stitches, I don't want to count each and every stitch and that's what I would have to do... but this pattern makes it easier to keep track with the fptrc-sc. And the fptrc-sc seem to make it easier to add a stitch after if I need to because you can't really tell. If you look at my picture in the previous page you might not be able to see any errors, even though there aren't really very many. I just need to remember to count the last stitches on the row though, because I miss the first dec because it ends up so tight. Besides this afghan is for me, so I'm okay with making mistakes...:yes

Darksi, yes you could go ahead and get some white and then any color they choose.

Debbi

Well I did frog row 6 - i went back and re-counted before doing so (I did not find a skipped stitch in that row at all) but I frogged it anyway. I'll re-count row 5 once I make it back home. But I have to make a hat for this girl at work who is paying for it so I need to get that done first. =( But then I can get back to my sweetheart ripple if time allows.

Yay! So I found my mistake and am back on track. Just finished up row 7 w/no issues! I didn't do a sc dec at the end of row 5 which gave me that extra stitch when I was doing row 6. But now I'm sad that I have to put it aside while I make my co-worker that hat. =(

Oh, boy! I just got my afghan back from the publisher today. My mother will be so happy since she put dibs on the finished project before I even sent it in for submission. :yes

Kim you have no idea how good this makes me feel.

I love that you are still so excited by your work. :hug

:ghug

Your mom is gonna love this one. :manyheart

Here is a tip for tightening the fptc-sc.

Yo twice, insert hook around stitch indicated, stop, tug on your yarn to tighten up the loop that's on the hook, now, yo, pull up a loop and complete the stitch normally.

Hope that helps.

Edited by crochetkim

I got my yarn today in the mail so have did the first row only. lol I am anxious to get a few rows up and so I can see if I can do it. I ordered my yarn in the same colors the pattern says and they are two shades of purple not pink/red. I like it anyway but just wondering as the picture it looks pink/red.

I got my yarn today in the mail so have did the first row only. lol I am anxious to get a few rows up and so I can see if I can do it. I ordered my yarn in the same colors the pattern says and they are two shades of purple not pink/red. I like it anyway but just wondering as the picture it looks pink/red.

Your eyes do not deceive you! :)

I used different colors than quoted in the actual printed pattern. I've been told that there will be a correction on the website. But, I haven't checked lately. I believe I posted the correct colors earlier in this thread. But, if I didn't, I'll retrieve them and post them.

Has anyone tried making a scarf out of the pattern? I think it would make the cutest scarf for Valentine's Day. I got the issue that has it on the cover, and was looking at it the other day....now I can't find it...:think However, when I do....I think, I'll try to work up a scarf...sounds kinda fun.

Has anyone tried making a scarf out of the pattern? I think it would make the cutest scarf for Valentine's Day. I got the issue that has it on the cover, and was looking at it the other day....now I can't find it...:think However, when I do....I think, I'll try to work up a scarf...sounds kinda fun.

Yes, I've received emails that people are using the pattern and decreasing enough to make a scarf. So, they're definitely being made. I haven't seen any photos either here or on the project page on Ravelry yet, though.

Edited by crochetkim

Your eyes do not deceive you! :)

I used different colors than quoted in the actual printed pattern. I've been told that there will be a correction on the website. But, I haven't checked lately. I believe I posted the correct colors earlier in this thread. But, if I didn't, I'll retrieve them and post them.

lol okay thank you for that clarification. lol I will have to make two than and in your colors that you used. I thought I was losing my mind. lol I would keep looking at it thinking man the color is sure off. lol

Finished my first row of hearts and they are kind of goofy looking. I'm hoping once I get the next few sc rows in they will "straighten up and fly right!"

Cheri

I want to do this one too, but after I finish up a couple of other things. I was almost finished with an afghan for my dgd in shades of turquoise, when her mother told me that they have just redecorated her bedroom all in pink! So I guess the turquoise will get put aside and I will do this in pink and white, instead. I hope she sticks with that color scheme for the few months it will take me to do this!

So I changed it so I could see them in the "valleys" (I spent a long time trying to figure it out and couldn't:blush). So my hearts are smaller, but I have hearts going both ways.

Debbi, can you tell us what you did to change the pattern? I like the looks of yours, and would like to try it, too. Thanks.

Debbi, can you tell us what you did to change the pattern? I like the looks of yours, and would like to try it, too. Thanks.

I don't have the pattern with me so let me see if I can write this by memory, which I should be able to, I have 13 hearts going up (counted them).

To begin the fptr-sc row, I did a sc decrease, *fptr-sc (rep twice), sc (twice), then the increase of 3 sc in one stitch. sc (twice), fptr-sc (rep twice), 1 sc, skip 2 sc, 1 sc, rep from * across, ending with sc dec in last 2 stitches.

Then I just did the ripple for 3 rows. Doing the way I did it was easy to do the ripple.

I updated my blog with the new photo of this afghan and how I corrected mistakes if I did an extra stitch. Usually I can tell from the point or hill to the skipping of the stitches (I'll count 6 or see more then 5). I just correct it on the next row above it.

Here's the direct link:

http://debbia1.blogspot.com/2009/01/sweetheart-ripple-progress-correcting.html

Debbi

Edited by Debbi-a1

SO I have decided to join this CAL. I have 3 rows of hearts done and I am making the full size so it'll fit nicely on my little girls bed. I am making it in white and purple though as her favorite color right now is purple. I'll try to get a pic of it later tonight to show my progress!

I though I would do the next one in purple, maybe two different shades of purple or maybe a varigated purple and solid purple.