Sweetheart Ripple Afghan CAL

crochetkim

This is my first time starting a CAL, so I hope I'm getting this correctly!

Several people mentioned wanting to start a crochet-along for the Sweetheart Ripple Afghan in the February 2009 Crochet World magazine.

SweetheartRippleCover.jpg

Here are some helpful posts from other threads on the 'Ville.

Tips about the modified fptc (or, I believe it may be called fptc-sc in the magazine):

I will let you know that I invented this stitch because I never liked the bumpy texture on the back of afghans when I make a post stitch. I love the post stitches, but I wanted the back to be flat. The back of this afghan is perfectly flat and appears in stripes. Really neat how it's striped on one side and hearts on the other.

So, you will yarn over twice, insert your hook to one side of the stitch indicated* (the right side if you are right-handed), wrap the hook around the back of the single crochet indicated then back out the other side. Now, yarn over and pull the loop through. 4 loops now on hook. (Yarn over and pull through 2 loops) twice. 2 loops now on hook.

Now, here is the modified part. Insert your hook in the next stitch of your current row (not the ones below). Yarn over and pull up a loop. Yarn over and pull through 3 loops on hook to close.

The modification here is that you don't skip the stitch on the current row the way you do with a regular post stitch. That's what causes the bumpiness in the back. Since you are incorporating the stitch, it makes it nice and smooth.

*Note: The stitch indicated is in the same color as the current yarn. So, when you get to the part where you are doing the post stitches, it's easy to see because you'll be working into the same color. The secondary color is completely skipped. (I hope that makes sense.) Oh, and another thing, it's pretty easy to determine where the stitches go in the first couple of post stitches (while going up the rise of the ripple). But, when you're going back down, you need to make sure that you're slanting them in the other direction and not straight up and down which is easy to do until you get the hang of where to place your stitch.

Tips for anyone wanting to increase or decrease the size:

You can increase or decrease in multiples of 13. Just add or subtract 13, 26, 39, etc. from the starting chain.

Where to find the magazine if you don't have a subscription:

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?prod_id=4883&cat_id=2&classification_id=M

Yarn type and amounts used in the model. Note that the magazine lists different colors than the one I made for the photo.

My pattern notes indicate:

• Caron “Simply Soft Heather” medium (worsted) weight yarn (5 oz/250 yds/228m/142g): 6 skeins #9501 Autumn Red (MC)
  • Caron “Simply Soft” medium (worsted) weight yarn (6 oz/315 yds/288m/170g): 4 skeins #9730 Autumn Red (CC)

I used almost every single bit of the Heather (MC), so I would recommend 7 skeins to be on the safe side.

Please feel free to post questions, comments and especially photos! I love seeing project photos. :hook

• Like 1

I think I might jump in with you in a couple of weeks or so. I really need to get done with some of my WIPS and try to not buy any more yarn for a while. I will have to purchase yarn for this unless I make it different colors. Hope that you will get someone to come along with you now though.

This is really pretty. The book isn't here in Australia yet. But I will be buying it when it gets here. Probably about a month away ( we seem to be that far behind in magazines sometimes longer) I will add this to my WIM list. Hopefully I can add it in later in the year.

I'm in. I just ordered my yarn last night online and will be doing it in the same colors and yarn as in the pattern. So as soon as I get my yarn I'm with y'all. Thanks for the helpful tips on the pattern Kim. I copyied them and printed them out and will staple it in my magazine with your pattern.

Edited by TallGirl

this is really weird ~ my mag came this week and i told my hubby that i knew what my next project was gonna be (after i get the 2 baby afghans done that i have to make). i am almost done with the first one ~ so as soon as i get done with the second one i will probably join!

Kim

Kim, thanks for starting the cal! I am in, I have about two full rows of hearts done and I am making the full size 'ghan, I will post pictures of it when i get a bit further along. It is so pretty and fun to make :D

I am finding that my hearts are not all the same, I tend to be a tight crocheter but when I do the fptc-sc it becomes lose. When I go over it on the next row, it looks ok, but not as even like in the picture. This is my first ripple so maybe it will even itself out when I get further along.

I am finding that my hearts are not all the same, I tend to be a tight crocheter but when I do the fptc-sc it becomes lose. When I go over it on the next row, it looks ok, but not as even like in the picture. This is my first ripple so maybe it will even itself out when I get further along.

The top loops on the fptc-sc are going to be looser than a regular sc because it's basically a decrease stitch and all that extra pulling makes them looser. But, you're right. It's not all that noticeable once you get the next row on there to even it out.

If your hearts aren't the same size, there could be some issues:

1) Make sure that you are doing the fptc-sc in the same place for each heart. Since you're placing the stitches diagonally, it's easy to accidentally place them in the wrong location.

2) It could be an unfamiliarity and your gauge is changing. This will get more even with practice.

3) It could just be that you need to stretch it out a bit to make sure the stitches fall into their natural place.

Brenda

lol.............................I did the same thing. I stapled it to the magazine so I wouldn't lose it.

Carol

I'm in. I just ordered my yarn last night online and will be doing it in the same colors and yarn as in the pattern. So as soon as I get my yarn I'm with y'all. Thanks for the helpful tips on the pattern Kim. I copyied them and printed them out and will staple it in my magazine with your pattern.

Brenda

lol.............................I did the same thing. I stapled it to the magazine so I wouldn't lose it.

Carol

LOL Carol .... Great minds think alike.

Count me in too, but I'm having problems with mine.

Mine don't look like hearts at all.

How do you get it to slnat the right way when you are going down to the skip two stitches?

Someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Count me in too, but I'm having problems with mine.

Mine don't look like hearts at all.

How do you get it to slnat the right way when you are going down to the skip two stitches?

Someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the row where you want to work into, count the sc there. I believe that, for it to slant correctly, you should skip 3 sc in THAT row*. Once you've done it a few times, it will become more natural. But, in the beginning, it's a little difficult to get your stitches to slant correctly when you're coming down the other side of the ripple.

* I say "I believe that" here because I don't have my project back or the magazine. Just trying to go on memory. It could be a different number. But, I think that's it.

nope not getting it, i need a picture :(

Can you state specifically the problems you are having? Is it really the second row? Or, is it the first row after the color change? Are you having a problem with the post stitches themselves? Or, perhaps that they're not lining up properly?

Kim

Thank you, for the photo, but it is actually the second row just after turning from the first row. Ch 1, sc dec in the first 2 sc, sc in the next 4 sc,* 3 sc in the next sc. This is the part I can not figure out. Maybe I'm dense but i can not figure that out for the life of me.