RR? I get it now!! UPDATED W/Pics!!

OK, all you RR afghan makers, I now bow to you......{{{bowing humbly}}}

I will admit, I had never heard of a RR until I found this board, then it's all I saw and read about! so many people, so many colors!! LOL

I even posted and asked "why?" why do you make so many, over and over? what is the appeal of a "round" afghan? why are they so loved by so many? I was a RR virgin!!

Well........let me tell you....I got my answer.:cheer:crocheting

I started my very first RR (Aggie Mays pattern) ever last week from some yarn I didn't know what to do with. After some initial beginners issues, I was on a roll!! No matter what I was making at the time, It had to stop, because I was RRing every minute I could spare! I RRled in the morning, I RRled in the evenings, and I even got up in the middle of the night, and RRled!! I was HOOKED big time!! :lol

I decided it would be for my 6 yo granddaughter who loves pink and purple, so we ran out and bought some more yarn to go with the varigated one I had started with.

One week later, and I am done!! HOLY COW!! I have NEVER finished an afghan in a week! RR's do everything they say they did!!

1. worked up fast

2. was fun to design and plan different colors

3. was easy to get around without taking hours each row.

4. was not boring to do.

5. made me want to get done to see the final project!

6. looks totally cool in the process, and when done!!

7. no such thing as an ugly RR!!

So, to all you who I have questioned, and wondered why...."I GET IT NOW!" Thank you so much!! Especially you, Aggie May, for the great pattern!! I have had such fun making it!

The future holds....plans for RR for my recliners,RR for DH who wants a southwest colored one, RR for the cat chair, RR for a rug, the ideas are endless!! I"ve died and gone to RR heaven!!

I have a feeling I will be writing a post soon that begins with.........

"HI, my name is Cheryl, and I am a RR addict".......

DSCF0320.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0321.jpg

DSCF0322.jpg

Thankyou and Happy Hooking everyone!!:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

Thank you for the "chuckle"!! :lol I too had never heard of a RR until I came here to the 'ville!! They are so "addicting", you can't just make one!! There's another RR that I got hooked on, it's the "spiderman" RR. I don't really care to do the webbing because for me it's rather tedious(I like instant gratification), but when it's done, it looks fantastic!! Can't wait to see your finished RR's!! :)

I've yet to be converted. I like other people's ripples, and I like doing ripple scarves or ripple bags - I just want a long, rectangular blanket to cover me. I'm afraid bits of me will be left out in the cold with a RR - I'd have to crochet one so big that it'd drape over the sides of the bed and on to the floor...

you're so cute! don't mind me - it's the cold medicine talking here.

As far as NOT needing hours to finish a row - wait till you make one 7ft (like my purple one) or 8 1/2 ft (my moms rainbow) across.

smaller ones - you know -normal size ones are so quick!

What colors do you have in mind for your next one?

:cheerI feel like a very proud Grandma when I read about yet another member who has solved the mystery of the "Round Ripple".

I always say, when someone is having a problem with the RR, there will be the "Oprah lightbulb moment" when all becomes clear and you no longer need to read the pattern.

:thinkSometimes it takes a while but it usually comes along.

Remember, you need to take all the credit for how the RR turns out because I only wrote the words so everyone could understand them but you did the work.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Congrats. I have Aggie May's pattern too, she graciously sent it to me. I think I have it figured out. I have let it sit since christmas time, but I plan to get back to it real soon, and I know I'll be a RR addict too.

Can't wait to see photos!

:cheerI feel like a very proud Grandma when I read about yet another member who has solved the mystery of the "Round Ripple".

I always say, when someone is having a problem with the RR, there will be the "Oprah lightbulb moment" when all becomes clear and you no longer need to read the pattern.

:thinkSometimes it takes a while but it usually comes along.

Remember, you need to take all the credit for how the RR turns out because I only wrote the words so everyone could understand them but you did the work.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

And you shoud feel like a very proud grandma. You have had a very great influence on what is being crocheted. I love your pattern and am getting ready to make another rr.

OK, now it's my turn.... I want to try an RR afghan... I have never heard of one, but you make it sound like so much FUN! :-) Where can I get a pattern???

PM Aggie May, and she will send you her free pattern. it's easy to do and you will see so many on this forum! so many "paintings" as one poster said. Your colors are your design. good luck and happy hooking!:cheer

Good post! :)

As an RR skeptic I found it enlightening though I had figured people had to really be enjoying them a whole lot since the shape is not very practical IMO (except for chair backs, round table covers/toppers, and blankies for babies and small children); as Miss Crochet says, I like my blankets to be rectangular so when I make one for myself it'll be a straight ripple. I, as a matter of fact, just started one for a toddler and didn't want to stop to go to bed, and I'm having a hard time keeping away from it as when I stop typing I must turn to my other neglected projects. I guess the "rythmic" sequence of stitches and color changes provides precisely some of the pluses we crocheters enjoy the most.;)

Yankeeblue, your post was so funny!

I am still not a convert. I like the look of all the RR I see here, and I like them for babies - but not for anything else. I'm another "rectangle girl" I guess :lol

Although Yarnluver's mention of a RR for a chairback sounds good. I have a couple of rather plain looking chairs in fact....hmm....I feel a RR coming on :hook

I too am hooked on RR's. My surprise one was for a 16 yr old lad and had no idea what colors to use. Ended up with off white, tan, brown. When he opened the gift, we were all surprised because they were the colors of his room. I had not conferred and had no idea. Pleasant surprise!! I have made the spiderman, neopolitan, and so far 8 all together. They are really a lot of fun to start putting colors together and see what the final picture will be.

You saw the light! Rr's are wonderful. I make them when I need a quick afghan for a gift. And everyone who receives them goes nuts because they are so different.

I bet you can't stop at one! Kind of like the old Jay's commercial. "I bet you can't eat just one". Same thing with rr's. I'm sure you will make more.

:manyheart

ah, another convert...welcome sister! :hug

My name is Beth and I am a RR addict. I love to see the colors that people choose because every RR is unique. I am working on one for my daughter right now. I am holding 2 strands of yarn together and using an N hook to make a heavy blanket (for winter in Nebraska) that works up quickly! Can't wait to see your pics! :hook

I too like the RRs despite the not-so-practical shape. I have made 2, one that drapes over the back of my MIL's couch in the colors that she chose, and the other that adorns the back of an old church pew in my mother's house. It's a variegated yarn, and it has gotten so many compliments due to the uniqueness of the shapes/stitches. Even my cousin, who is a knitting snob, loved it and could not believe it was crocheted. So they serve a decorative purpose, but I made them big enough to at least cover up some, if not your whole body.

One day I'll make another. Yes, that's all I need, another project in the back of my mind behind the umpteen that need to make it from the mind to reality!

Archived