old afghan's?

what do you do with old afghan's?

I have one I did for me several years ago out of redheart and it has been washed multiple times, it's kinda scratchy, some stitches came out but I hate to send it to the trash. We have a couple extras for the bed and a few snuggle blankets.

I had an OLD granny square blanket that was made for me many moons ago, although I took very good care of it, some wear and tear does happen. What I did is, if you can no longer find the matching yarn, to fix the holes, find the closest thread color and sew them up best you can, then I covered the back of mine with fleece, hand sewed it on. Now I use it only as display, but because this one ment alot to me, I repaired it best I could and lined the back of it, because I want to keep it forever and ever. So thats just one persons idea.

If it doesn't mean anything to you, maybe you could frog it, take it apart and reuse the yarn?

Hugs

JoAnn

then I covered the back of mine with fleece, hand sewed it on.

What a great idea!!! I have an afghan my grandmother made in the pattern she taught me to crochet with - it is wearing thin so I think I will follow your example!!! Thanks!!!

A few months ago my sister had me look through some blankets and afghans my folks no longer wanted. I suggested that she take them to a nursing home. She had never thought of that and said they were most grateful to get them.

I fix them. I took a lot of my step moms old afghans to the local nursing home after she died. Dad just couldn't handle it. They gave them to the people that didn't have family to bring them things.

It's a wonderful thing to do (to donate) and bring joy and color into someone's life.

If the old afghans really mean something to you/sentimental value, I would fix them up as best I could. And if they are still in pretty much good condition, I would take to the the local rest homes, but if they're not in that good of condition, how about the local pet shelter...........just a thought!!:)

The nursing home is a great idea. Do you have a Hopsice in your area? They can always use afghans. My FIL was in hospice for two weeks before he passed away and we had taken in two afghans for him. It brought him a world of comfort.

The other ideas for the local animal shelters is a winner also. They Always need blankets, afghans, etc. You can also check with your local vet. I know mine always uses blankets and afghans for the animals who have just come out of surgery. It is more comfortable for them to lay on and makes them feel better.

TLOL,

Toni

My 2 cents...I have found that sometimes when you take them apart and use the yarn for something 'new' and they seem to come back to life. My dad gave me an afghan that he knew I would love and it is huge. So huge I could not wash it after several years I had to start taking it apart. I used some of the yarn from that afghan to make the 45 roses for mom for Christmas to stand for the 45 years Mom was married to dad before he went to his promotion. =)

Archived