First Lace KAL..

mamaoso

We will be doing----thdrumming.gif

Branching Out Scarf

We will be starting some were around the 18th of January.

Or whenever you can get your supplies..

It' a DK yarn and you will need at least 190 yards.. Needles size 8/5mm.

Have some stichmarkers and whatever you use for a lifeline.. ( They are our friends)thfoxes_12.gif I like dental floss..

So look over the pattern and get everything ready.....

And lets us know what yarn and needles you are using..:yes

Have fun!!!!!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, mamaoso! I'm in, as you well know. DK, hmmmm? I'll have to see what I've got in my stash first. Perhaps this calls for an KnitPicks order. Dental floss? I've got a ton of #10 crochet thread! :lol That should work splendidly. I've got #8 needles out right now because last night I pulled out a different, simple lace pattern and practiced with Cotton Ease. I think (hope) I can master lace. It's so beautiful...

:clapGlad you are joining in on the KAL....

#10 cotton thread will work fine.. KnitPicks order sounds fun, but hope you have some in your stash..

My Jojoland order is going to be here in a couple of days. I needed some more Melody Superwash for some socks, so I ordered some of this th_Rhythm20M09.jpg

Jojoland Rhythm in MO9. It's a DK yarn.. Nice fall colors?

And my Options are always ready...:yes

I found a cream-colored DK acrylic in my stash, label long gone. It came from my LYS and is a better acrylic than what Wal-Mart has, but it's still acrylic — not my first choice but I guess it will do to learn with. Shrug.

Count me in !! I went food shopping today, but I took a little detour into "Big Lots" to see what they had in the yarn department ,I came home with these..the Premier yarn looks like it might work ,for the scarf.:think I might do a little sample later to see which one works.:yes

th_011-3.jpg

and this book It look interesting..:lol

001-4.jpg

Welcome Goldkeeper..

We stop at Big Lots once in a while to get Hubbies Sunflower seeds..

Only a couple of times have I ever seen yarn.. Then it was only Fun Fur and something like Evita..

Great find on the book. I wouldn't mind looking though that one either..;)

Hi Carla,

Well Here is what I have tried so far..

th_005-2.jpg

This one I tried with 2 strand of yarn ,it a little tight I might have to go with larger needles..

th_003-5.jpg

This one is with one strand ,It's ok but again maybe larger needles

th_001-5.jpg

and this is sample is with one I bought the other day and it is working a little better ..much softer .So what do you think ??

I was going to say the same thing. The pink Elite and the needle you have it on look good, Ana. Is that Branching Out you have started on the needle? LOL, I'm eager to get started on the KAL, too. I have a lovely bit of laceweight from KnitPicks, Shimmer in Turquoise Splendor, which I plan to make into this once I finish this KAL. Actually, I worked out the Ostrich Plumes pattern over a year ago but something (don't remember what now) prevented me from knitting the shawl immediately and so now I will have to work through it again. Still have my sample though. Ostrich Plumes is a fan and feather variation and the designer, Anne Hanson, assured me it is suitable for beginners.

I guess I ought to swatch for my Branching Out, too, but rather just assumed it would work. I knit pretty loosely so I may use a smaller needle than the size 8 mamaoso calls for. Unless you think I shouldn't, mamaoso?

Just remember this is Lace.. And you will be blocking. So when you knit it, it might not look every good til you block it.

You don't want it to be to tight. But use what you are comfy with and what looks good to you.

Size 8 was what the pattern called for..That is why it's there. I may not even use 8's. Just have to try out the yarn on a test run. Start out on size 8 then either go up or down a size.( or two):)

I'm in :D This pattern is on the list of lace I wanted to try. I plan to use some soy that I was gifted so mine will be a bit different (but the pictures of a few done with soy on Ravelry look really nice). I will get started on it soon but have to finish an afghan for my niece's birthday first.

Econ-nerd, is your soy variegated? That would be lovely in Branching Out. I'm not at all thrilled with the DK I found in my stash but I guess it will do to learn with. As for needles I typically go down 2 sizes to get gauge — sometimes more, but gauge isn't terribly important here, I realize.

Ok I think I got the yarn (Patons Lacette) and the (size 10 ) needles . I think with all the samples I made today ,put them together I could have had a scarf :lol But I am holding to the Elite sample just in case!.

th_006-4.jpg

The yarn is from Big Lots for a $1.00 I got that one a while back, and the needles are Plastic I think ,I got them from a JoAnn store that closed up , they were on sale for $1.50. I also got them in size us17 in green and us13 in white . :yes I love the sales they had ..too bad it was because they were closing up :(

Econ-nerd, is your soy variegated? That would be lovely in Branching Out. I'm not at all thrilled with the DK I found in my stash but I guess it will do to learn with. As for needles I typically go down 2 sizes to get gauge — sometimes more, but gauge isn't terribly important here, I realize.

No my soy is a light pink. I think it will look great as a scarf (and it is a color I can wear well - I'm pale and fair) I'll have to experiment a bit to see what size needles to use. Once I'm done making my niece's afghan I'll be starting this!

Mamaoso, I was just looking at the pattern. It calls for 190 yards of one of the yarns. Just by chance, could the 109 yards you mention in your first post be a typo?

:oopsYep :yes, it's a typo :embar. I fixed it. Thanks HomekeepingGran.:hug

Ok I think I got the yarn (Patons Lacette) and the (size 10 ) needles . I think with all the samples I made today ,put them together I could have had a scarf :lol But I am holding to the Elite sample just in case!.

th_006-4.jpg

I like that one,too. Either one is a good choice.. I'm still waiting for my yarn to come. :( I want to get started,too.:angry

:think I guess you can start at anytime..

Then anybody can jump in whenever they get their supplies. I really don't see why you have to wait..

It's not like we are in a race or anything..

That why I put around the 18th.. Thought if someone was ordering yarn they would have to wait a week or to to get it....

What do you think?

Archived