New law: CPSIA

some1uno

That's weird because if the yarn you use from a company that made it was tested then the product you make from the yarn would be safe. It should be up to the companies to make sure their product is safe. How do you get lead into yarn anyway? :think I also sell woodcrafted items....How do I get lead into the wood I use? The paint I buy has no lead, so the product should be safe. Stupid law towards crafters!!!

Actually it said that even items sold on ebay will have to be tested, any item. Or criags list. So I'm surprised ebay hasn't taken over this. They have lots of money, it should be easy for them to amend this law.

Of course those who sell craft items need to write in a complaint. There's a link on the one above.

So i guess this also means second hand clothes and items? A lot of people buy from there? That mean more things will end up in our landfill because charities (usually those who sell second hand, like the Salvation Army) can't afford $500 per item to test and then sell it for $1. I buy tons of books from second hand stores because I can't afford retail too often. And what about parents of kids who buy clothes or toys second hand.

There's another post around here about this. I think it's insane. I think it comes into effect in Feburary. It's not good. This is going to change a lot of sales and even charity.

There is a good discussion taking place on this issue in this thread.

I read through that thread after this one (it was on a later page). On that thread is a link with a sample letter to snail mail to government. I have my 3 ready to print and send. I did send an e-mail with the link above on this thread, but I also know snail mail works better but figure an e-mail can't hurt either.

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/264507

Truly UNFAIR!!

What needs to be done is just testing the toys coming from sources which have already proven to be horrible sources of lead and other hazardous things.

What needs to be done is just testing the toys coming from sources which have already proven to be horrible sources of lead and other hazardous things.

The only problem with that is we don't nkow until after something bad happens. But it really needs to apply to larger companies. And those who can afford it. And of course those who have a history of this. Sometimes they mass produce without too much thought. Just to earn money.

I'm not saying smaller companies or us are exempt from caring and doing our best to make sure things are good quality and won't harm anyone, but usually we take longer and take more care in products.

I e-mailed my form letters to my congresswoman and to both of my state senators. I also added the following to my form letters.

This also means charities will suffer less donations of handmade items being offered. There are so many programs out there that depend on the donations of handmade items such as: blankets, hats, scarves, gloves and mittens, small stuffed animals and much more. Some of these items go to neo-natal units, homeless shelters, abuse centers for children and adults just to name a few. If these charities are no long able to accept these donations, they will not be able to fulfill their obligations to aide those in need.

I must add that my concerns go far beyond the previous mentioned here. Much of the problem, I believe, began with NAFTA. Since the act was passed, so many American companies have moved the manufacturing of their products to Mexico and other foreign countries. Thus, creating a lack of employment in our own country. They are also employing workers that are extremely underpaid and producing poor quality and unsafe products.. If our American companies brought back the industry that we so desperately need, it would boost our economy and cut back on the unemployment rate. Our people would regain the pride of saying, “Made in the USA”.

Being a family in the trucking industry, we have felt the financial strain post NAFTA. We have seen the decline of revenue. Unfortunately, we had to file bankruptcy, loosing our truck, trailer and home and vehicle. We went from owning our own business to working for the company we were leased to. We see only a small amount of the commerce transport going in and out of our country through our employer. But when it is considered on a national scale, it is plain to see our country needs to bring the industry back home.

This whole thing is ludicrous and an outrage..the government should be spending money trying to help us industry and manufacturing staying in the united states instead of forcing companies to outsource works. This law if passed as is will have a tremendous impact on everyone. I am all for keeping our children safe but as a parent at some point we have to take responsibility for policing our kids and kids we are supervising etc. Not saying that we don't but if I buy a toy that says not for use for children under the age of (just say 5 for example) because of small parts possibly being swallowed. Isn't it my responsibility as a parent to supervise the child closely if they are playing with such toy or not let them play with it at all. God forbid if I make a decorative doll for a shelf using potentially harmful fabric and a child under the age of 12 takes it down off the shelf and starts chomping on it and becomes ill...it would be my fault as the manufacturer of the doll. As I understand the bill and what has been told to me is that even if the particles you are using to make something have been tested and deemed safe, because you are using them with something else to manufacture a whole new thing, you are the manufacturer of said item and the end result has to be tested. I haven't read it yet, but I guess there has been a revision in regards to the second hand stores. Off my soap box now.

This law will put places such as Etsy.com out of business in a hurry! Also, what about places like Goodwill and our local 2nd hand store, Together We Cope? This place and others like it supply the poor with what they could otherwise not afford! This law is just stupid and not thought out well

That's weird because if the yarn you use from a company that made it was tested then the product you make from the yarn would be safe. It should be up to the companies to make sure their product is safe. How do you get lead into yarn anyway? :think I also sell woodcrafted items....How do I get lead into the wood I use? The paint I buy has no lead, so the product should be safe. Stupid law towards crafters!!!

Maybe if your workspace has lead...

• 2 weeks later...
This really seems like a case of unintended consequences--we buy about 90% of our kids clothing from local resale shops--and our budget is tight just doing that....if they don't sell kidwear anymore--I may have to take up sewing:)

There has since been an amendment saying that thrift stores will be able to sell kids clothes without testing them. Basically, thrift stores and ebayers will still be able to sell clothes without certifying them, but they have to use their best judgment and try to keep under the lead levels. If they are caught selling something over the limit there's a huge fine and jail time. I'm hoping for a similar reprieve for handmade goods!

Take ACTION, write your representatives in DC, write Senator Waxman and Ms. Nord of CPSC...

Write, call AND fax them. Do it NOW... Feb 10th may be too late.

Read the actual law CAREFULLY, disclaimers "not intended for children 12 and under" will NOT apply if a "reasonable" person would look at the item and expect it to be used for, on or by a child 12 or under, or if it would APPEAL to a child 12 and under.

(there's a whole section on the ETSY forums devoted to discussing the ramifications of the law and fighting for amendments..)

There are at least 2 petitions about this law online (you can google for them) but I don't know how seriously anyone will take an electronic petition.

The exception for resale/2nd hand shops and donations is only a "sorta" reprieve, they are excused from the requirement to test, but might still be prosecuted if they HAVE (they don't need to even sell/give, just have in inventory) an item which would not pass testing... to face liability and possible charges.

This is good news for right now. At least they will have more time to look over the ramifications of this law, and make some changes to protect the small business owners and crafters like us. Thanks for posting this update for us to see!!!:manyheart

Archived