Thread sizes

mathwizard

What medium do you use? I like to knit as well as crochet. I use many different kinds of threads. I like to use embroidery thread to crochet as it adds a silkiness that most threads don't have. I have used size 3 to size 30. I find size 3 is bulky but if used all they way through the project it creates a nice piece. For people who like to do thread projects the smaller size thread (which are larger physically) than a 10 it is workable for them. I like the sizes 5 and 8 as they aren't really that much thicker than a 10 and the thread choices (silkiness and texture) are greater.

I recently started a doily with some thread that was my mothers' and it is a size three. I was running low on the color (the thread is 20yrs. old and excellent condition, no wearing) and I switched to a size 10 contrasting color thread. The different size threads adds depth to the piece and adds to it like any piece of art. I do consider crochet and art like paintings. The only thing about using different size thread is going from a thicker thread to a thinner thread does limit what you do after that. You can or can't use a thicker thread after the thinner depending on the pattern or your personal tastes. I will be using a size 10 varigated thread to continue before switching to the next color. When I have finished the doily I will post a picture and you will be able to see what I mean.:lol

What a cool idea. It never dawned on me to change thread sizes. :eek.

Oh boy now you have really done it!!!!! :devil I knew I would never get all my want to do projects done, now you have added a whole new world !!! Krakovianka added another world not long ago when I saw the crochet pieces she did with sewing thread. Now I'll have a million projects I want to try with different size threads. I can't wait to see the pics.

Thanks for the idea,

TLOL,

Toni

I too mixed different size of threads on projects, I use size 10 with size 5 and mixed size 30 with size 50. They turned out really well.

I look forward to see yours.

Demet

Hmmmmm....sounds intriguing! I hope you'll show your piece when it's finished! I do use sewing thread in various ways...painted doilies with 3 strands of sewing thread, or holding sewing thread alongside the crochet thread (I call it the "frosted" technique). In fact, I'm doing one like that right now...

Okay members, you piqued my interest. Can you provide a link or picture of your work. I did look at the etsy stores and the work is awesome!! I just ordered new thread from JoAnn's Fabric etc. New colors and could only get size eight. Lots of multicolored choices. I am waiting for the rose mixture to see if it will work with the doily I am making.

Haven't used sewing thread yet but I did get a book from AA that uses it. I have that on my list of things to try.:clap

Mathwizard, when you use embroidery thread, do you use one strand by itself, or the whole strand of floss as it is packaged (6 strands?) Also, are you using it for the entire project or as a highlight in some of the pattern. Would love to see pictures. Please share. Thank you for starting this thread (pun intended).

Krakovianka, could you explain about holding sewing thread "along side"? Are you crocheting over the sewing thread or crocheting it in with your regular crochet thread? Would love to see pictures. Thanks.

When I use sewing thread, I crochet with two strands together--just as if you were using two strands of yarn, but because one is much thinner than the other, it takes practice to get the tension right.

Here are some links to various projects.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72907

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76276

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87949

http://ukrakovianki.blogspot.com/2008/03/year-of-experiments.html

I'm looking forward to seeing what you're doing, too!

Ok Krakovianka,

You have again been put on my "list" along with Mathwizard. :lol When I saw your painted doilies I said I have to do that. Now Mathwizard posted about mixing thread sizes and I have to do that too. Now you tell us all about one strand of sewing thread with one of cotton. What a beautiful effect. I love the description of it being "frosted". The pictures are great but I'm sure in real life it is actually breakthtaking. So Now of course I have to do this also. If all you extremely talented crocheters don't stop giving me wonderful ideas to try, I'm never going to get anything done, and my life span will just have to keep increasing. :hug.

I did sneak out while running an errand for hubby today to a lys and picked up three balls of #80 tatting thread in a pastel varigated. I want to do a pansy doily and I think I'll try to mix this in with the white and see what happens.

This is going to be so much fun!!!!!!! :manyheart.

Thank you all so much for the very cool ideas. I can't wait to get started on them. I'll have to see how the tatting thread goes. I might try a bookmark in that alone also. I really really love the look of the sewing thread. I hope my eyes can deal with it. If it wasn't for my son and DH my house would never get cleaned, I just crochet all day.

Lots and Lots of Thanks, Hugs, and :manyheart

TLOL,

Toni

That does sound interesting and look forward to seeing what it turns out like

I have used 2 different sizes before in a doily. Did one years ago in size 20 and size 10. It worked out okay though you would have to know I used two different size to tell the difference. prefer to work with the same size thread for the most part. But I do look forward to seeing how yours works up.

I like to add a strand of sewing thread to some of my designs. Especially the metalic threads. Adds a bit of sprarkle with out being over whelming. I like to do this on my shawls especially.

I now know what I can do with all my colors of sewing thread I have. The seamstress in me bought palate of thread colors at one time as the price was reasonable. I haven't used certain colors as I don't wear them and therefore didn't use them in sewing. Now I have an excellent idea of what I can do with them. Thank you,Krakovianka. I do have a doily in progress which is one of Katchkan's patterns but I did finish just recently a doily in the crochet guild magazine.

As for number of strand used, well it varies. Sometimes I use all of them and other times I use usually 3 strands. I try it and see how it looks and then add or take away threads. I only have a couple of pictures of recent projects as I just started keeping track of things I make and usually give away. Now I am making some doilies for my home as well as for exchanges or gifts.

Here is a link to my Flickr photos. The Royal Garden doily has a center made with size three thread and the rest of the doily is size five. The center was the experiment and looked good until I added the green leaves. I was going to remove them but it added some color needed. I love to experiment and this was a gift for a friend in NZ. I didn't block the doily as most people block with their favorite blocking stuff.

DSCF6091

Krakovianka, thanks for the links of previous postings and also to your blog. Just beautiful photos and your postings helped me understand what you are doing.

Mathwizard, I see what you mean by using color. Your picture on Flickr shows the sheen that embroidery thread would have. Good work & thank you for posting.

Hi,

I am new to the forum and am very excited to come across it. I am disabled and so I have plenty of time on my hands. I love doing crafts but lately I have been wanting to try different crafts.

I have decided I wanted to learn knitting, crocheting, embroidery, etc. I know the basic stitches for both and am knitting a scarf (my first project) and haven't embroidered in 40 yrs at least. One day I hope to own an embroidery machine. Untill then by hand is the way to go.

I recently purchased off ebay a shoe box full of tatting/crochet thread. Most of it is J&P Coats some of it is Star. The color no. is listed along with boilfast but thread no., no such thing on any of these spools. So I have been trying to find this info on the net and I am not having any luck. It is supposed to be vintage so could this be the reason??

Any help would be most welcomed.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

Doris

Thank you for the complements. I am not familiar with tatting thread as I could never have the patience to do it. A suggestion would be take some to a store and compare it with the different size threads and figure it out that way. Some of my vintage threads of my moms' list the size but some don't and now I can compare with threads I know. The doily in the works was started with old thread and that is how I figured out the size. I was going to buy some contrasting thread but the store had very little different colored threads in sizes other than 10,20, and 30. I found some white in size 3 which was the thickness of my thread. I chose to use size 10 in a red which you will see in a picture of the doily later. I bought some different size threads through Herrschners and JoAnn and many different colors. Multicolored threads are hard to find but if I can get the right sewing threads that will not be a problem in the future

>> I have seen the embroidery machines but I still prefer to do it by hand.

:clap

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank all of you for your input on this subject. I recently was able to use the idea of adding embroidery floss to crochet thread. I had 2 yellow crochet threads; one too intense a color & the other too pastel. I added in a dark gold to each of them & it toned down the too intense color and gave the pastel a depth to it that made it show up better. Would never had thought of it without this discussion. Krakovianka, I went to your blogspot and marked it as a fave so that I can refer back to it concerning mixing threads in the future; very helpful. Thanks.

Archived