I'm teaching my Mom!

For a long time my mom has supported my yarn habits and admired my work, but she always said she had no time to learn or that it looked too hard when I offered to teach her, but after all those years of excuses she's now wanting to learn! I'm proud of her :)

She knows how to make chains, I taught her those a few months ago (I think in November) and when I wanted to teach her single crochet then, she thought it was too hard. So now I guess she made a resolution to learn or something this year. Though maybe it's because she wears things I make her and people ask if she made it and she's tired of saying "No my daughter made it for me," lol.

Anyway, I sat down with her yesterday and today and tried to teach her single crochet. She's doing them pretty good when I'm there, but then when I go off to do one of my projects she messes up and says it's too hard or she's too old to learn (which she definitely is NOT!) So then I ask her to make a single crochet on her own, and she does it well, though a bit different than I do. I put the yarn over the hook, she goes under. I don't know if that's a known method, but it seems to make the stitches the same as the over hook way, it just makes things a bit trickier with double crochet I think. I was wondering if anyone else here goes yarn under when crocheting? (I hope that makes sense)

My mom made a square of single crochet with little help after a while so then we're moving onto double crochet tomorrow hopefully :) I gave her a preview of it today haha.

That's really awesome. Maybe you could find pictures of all the steps and make a printout for her. Sometimes when I'm tired I notice I've started doing my stitches wrong and having pictures to refer to helps me figure out what I was messing up.

does your mom do much with the internet?? http://www.crochetcabana.com is a great resource...and has diagrams! There is also youtube too.

My mom has crocheted for years and years, but hasn't done it probably in 5 years. I helped her get started on a biffer shrug the other day (she just moved into a brand new house with those pretty wood floors) and she did pretty good with it. She was very good at doilies, but says her fingers probably won't be able to do it anymore. She also did alot of stuffed animals -bears, bunnies, chicks, and she made ponchos and hats for me, and easter baskets for me and my friends. Sweaters and dresses for my dolls, and so on.

That's really awesome. Maybe you could find pictures of all the steps and make a printout for her. Sometimes when I'm tired I notice I've started doing my stitches wrong and having pictures to refer to helps me figure out what I was messing up.

THat's a good idea! I'll check if that would make things easier, though i think she's more of a learn by doing person.

does your mom do much with the internet?? www.crochetcabana.com is a great resource...and has diagrams! There is also youtube too.

My mom has crocheted for years and years, but hasn't done it probably in 5 years. I helped her get started on a biffer shrug the other day (she just moved into a brand new house with those pretty wood floors) and she did pretty good with it. She was very good at doilies, but says her fingers probably won't be able to do it anymore. She also did alot of stuffed animals -bears, bunnies, chicks, and she made ponchos and hats for me, and easter baskets for me and my friends. Sweaters and dresses for my dolls, and so on.

Lol, that's an awesome site, but she doesn't know how to use a computer. Thanks for the link though :hug

Aww, does your mom suffer from arthritis?

I'm a fairly patient person but I think I'd go nuts if I tried to teach my crochet.

Same, I thought I wouldn't be a good teacher since I crochet kinda odd. It can be a bit frustrating, but it's worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

Best of luck teaching your mom! I just started teaching my dad last Friday. He got chaining down pretty smoothly, but it was hard to teach him how to single crochet. My mom eventually stepped in and showed him how to hold the hook. Every time I tried, he'd nod and then do it his own way. (He's not used to doing what I say, I think. It's normally the other way around.)

He just turned 60 last October, so I guess it shows that you're never too old to learn! :D

Thanks! We're still on the double crochet lol. She gets stuck and does a modified treble or something! haha

That's so great you're teaching your dad! I want to teach mine too, but he doesn't really seem interested, though he admires what i make, heh

I have taught a few people to crochet. I do notice they can come up with their own stitches, even though you show them how to do it one way, they start doing it a different way, but seem to still end up with stitches!! Maybe just make a copy of "how to single crochet" that you can find in a pattern book or on the internet would help her when you aren't around to guide her. I think that new fiction book, Dying to Crochet, has some patterns in the back where the person was learning to crochet and came up with her own stitches!! Who says they have to be a certain way anyway, unless you are following a pattern. You have to figure that all these stitches were first made up by someone, and why can't there be other stitches too!

:clapI have a little coffee house in our little rural village and we have had classes on learning crochet!! Saturday, we're starting another 4 week session. People love it and it sure beats having to drive to the city to learn. We have 10 people signed up and didn't even advertise....just word of mouth.

It so much fun to spread the joy...now if I can only get my daughters interested. They stand to inherit so much yarn and patterns!! :):yay

Debbie

Archived