Crocheting does *not* make me an old woman

Ok. Here's the thing. You gotta be YOU! If they don't get it? Too bad. Maybe there are some things that they do which are not your cup of tea either, right? Agree to disagree and don't feel bad about what it is that you enjoy. You're in good company, believe me. I was at a recital that had a 45 minute wait...I had brought some knitting with me and there was an "old" lady next to me and we had a grand conversation. I felt a connection with her regardless of our age difference. As a matter of fact, I enjoy being connected in history to the past and those who came before me and worked with string and sticks! What amazing people they were to come up with patterns and such without calculators, computers, etc. Just amazing! Conversely, I taught my young niece, so it really is an ageless thing. Talk embarassment tho? I'm 49...so imagine me, sitting in a public place (like our food court at lunch hour) crocheting or knitting doll clothing....not just doll clothing, but actively working "on the doll" so to speak and whipping out my naked Barbie who has no head and half her arms cut off (cuz, of course, she's easier to dress that way). HAHAHAHA I don't care who says what about it. Frankly, I've found more like minded people to craft with by making my co-workers/friends aware of my hobby. Don't worry about what others think....you do your thing and enjoy it!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a tendency to be shy in public places, so I bring a crochet project along with me most everywhere I go, and it's helped me alot.

1. It gives me something to concentrate on so I'm not looking at faces wondering what to say to them,

2. It gives others a chance to have something interesting to look at and comment on turning a blah commute into something more interesting (I've fielded questions from young children about 'what's that you're making?', even gave an impromptu lesson to a pair of 2nd graders on a train.)

3. When the few people that have called it 'old ladies work' comment, I'm brave enough behind my hook to ask if the age of the maker has anything to do with how much love and warmth is put into the work. (I make hats and scarves on my commutes.) Invariably they say something about teasing, or how they admire the work, or ask why/when/where I learned. And again, it's a good starting point for a conversation.

I bring it to work everyday. People always ask me how my afghan is coming and what I'm working on. Sometimes I just wish they'd hush up and let me work! lol But it's nice that people want to see what you are working on.

If I could just get them to stop picking up my afghan and touching it as I work (this is a BIG pet peeve of mine) I'd be fine.

Just ignore them and keep crocheting. :D

You know when someone says something like that to you or behind your back but you hear them, educate them! Inform them that it's not just for "old ladies..." and tell them how insulting they are being. You don't have to be mean about it...

Have you seen the psa's about two girls talking about something and one of them says, "That's so gay!" and the other agrees...and a 3rd girl walks up and says, "That's so (using their names...)" They don't quite get it until she educates them about how everyone says something like that when they are talking about something stupid or that they don't like.

Bottom line is to make people think..."How would you like it if someone said, "That's so LeAnna" (which is my name for this purpose) For the propose of crocheting, "How would you like it if I said about your hobby of (insert hobby or interest) "Isn't that what kids do, or isn't that what the disabled do or isn't that what the Germans do or whatever" It's not nice, it isn't meant to be nice and they should be called on their rudeness...

So speak up for yourself...Hold your head high when you crochet, show off your stuff...you'll either convert the masses or you won't...but I believe that if you don't, you are not doing your craft justice. You crochet because you like to crochet right? Well, don't ever be ashamed of it...and don't let the actions or words of people who either don't like or "get" crochet to get you down or make you feel embarrassed or ashamed of what you do.

Stand up for yourself and your craft! I do and it's amazing how often I hear, "Wow, I didn't know you could do that with crochet! Awesome!"

A quote from your post: " I hate feeling embarrassed about doing something I enjoy."

Then don't feel embarrassed! You have no control over the things other people say ( ie: isn't that what old ladies do"). You do have total control over your reaction. Let them say what they want, ya can't stop them anyway, then ignore it, do not respond, and do not feel embarrassed. Do not let other have that much control over you. I take a crochet project almost every place I go, and if the opportunity presents itself, I work on the project: no explanations, no "oh excuse me while I crochet". It is unobtrusive, quiet, doesn't stink and in no way interferes with what others are doing. And yes, crochet is what old ladies do and so is lots of other stuff like golf, tennis, skiing, skydiving, jogging, working and on and on and on.......

I've only ever had one person say I looked like an old lady when I was crocheting and that was from a guy at lunch in middle school. Ever since then when I take my work into school or anywhere else people think it's cool and either ask me to teach them or make them something.

By far, the most liberating thing for me was the day I realized I really don't care what people say or think. That was a looooong time ago.

But then all them there silly ribbons and awards kind of shut them up! :lol:D

Hook away! Have fun! :cheer We're all with you here!

:hookColleen

Heehehehehehe, I love that.

Just tell them that. :) I am 21, and I crochet all day.

I tell people it makes me happy. I don't throw fits when people want to shoot shots down their throats at a bar, and I think they are to old. :D

The guys at work (I work as a receptionist at a car dealership) think that it is amazing soemone my age does what I do and they always stop in to see what is hanging off my hook that day. Once they got past the initial shock, which happened about the time I brought a tunisian graph ghan with me, to work on. They were in awe for weeks.

Crocheting is a hobby, or an art, for me both....and also a way to make a living for others, they should take that into consideration, and don't feel bad about pointing it out. If people make fun of you, let it bounce right off your hooks. :hook

and if all else fails, take up knitting too. That'll give them something else to talk about it. :lol

Great post! I bet they all have some really annoying and UNPRODUCTIVE habit, eh?

I know it's not easy to stand unshaken in the face of criticism but you know very well (at least now) that you're definitely not alone, in the 9 months I've been a regular here I've seen very young girls post here, and even if I now sort of qualify as an "old lady" :srug I began crocheting when I was 26. The more known crochet is the fewer the ignorant remarks will be, so consider yourself a Crochet Ambassador and go and represent your craft with pride!

My son called me the other day and ask what I was doing and I told him that I was trying to learn to knit, he said isn't that the same as crocheting.... I said no and his response was you're turning into an old lady. But he wants me to make him a new afghan, he said the one he has is to small ( I made it when he was much younger he is now 27) he said "they are so warm". LOL ( Kids)

:rolleyes It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of your hobby but why do people just blurt things out without thinking? People are just more rude these days, I think. Would you say "You've been shopping all day? How shallow!"? "You spend the day with your dog at the park? I guess you don't know any people." :angry

Okay, I'm beginning to think I may be nuts - why do we care what other people think of what we do? If we are okay with our hobbies and our life - who cares what others say or think? I just don't get all the angst. Don't mean to be offensive - I just don't get it.

I don't. but I've also grown a much thicker skin than most.

Don't ever feel embarrassed because you're doing what you love. When do you think all these old ladies learned how to do this stuff. When they were 5 years old and their elders taught them.

I tell people "I make beautiful things while I'm sitting around watching tv - what do you do?" or "To each his own"

If your BF gets off on making you feel embarrassed about the things that you do - maybe it's time for a different boyfriend.

Okay, I'm beginning to think I may be nuts - why do we care what other people think of what we do? If we are okay with our hobbies and our life - who cares what others say or think? I just don't get all the angst. Don't mean to be offensive - I just don't get it.
I think the huge emphasis this country has put on political correctness (and it has spilled far beyond politics, obviously) has made it very easy to be offended at what are really trifles. I'm not saying that people aren't rude; often they are. I'm not saying they shouldn't button their lips; often they should. But the responsibility cuts both ways. You watch what you say and so will I. At the same time we will both endeavor to not be so sensitive. It is so strange that all the hype warns us constantly to not hurt the feelings of sub-groups, but people have so much trouble controlling what issues from their mouths. Astonishing, really.

If you enjoy it, that is what matters! Oh, and when they come to you with something to make for them ... you know what your response can be, don't you?! :lol

Don't be embarrassed, just some people don't know nor appreciate beauty.

I am sorry to hear that happened to you it's cruel how mean and insensitive people can be my fiance still thinks crocheting is just for women I tell him that men are doing it too and that it's not a gender thing anymore though with all of us here on this forum bringing needlework back to all we will all be fulfilled

Actually, there is nothing wrong with being an old lady; hopefully we will all get there someday, and still be hooking! Before then, do what you enjoy and don't listen to the negative talk; some people can't help themselves.

I'm 51, and my passion is making dolls; it makes me happy (and the recipient happy too!), and that is all that matters.

Beth

Funny enough is that they make all these comments but will find something they like in what you make that make them re-think those comments or they will BUY something crocheted for 75% more than it costs to make it yourself (like those crocheted Ugg boots/crocheted tops/jackets/afghans/etc). But when you make it yourself a lot of time it comes out better than store bought - costs less and you can customize it to suit you. So my advise - do what makes you happy!

Oh! I'm sorry. That's just rude. My MIL always behaves like I'm wasting my time. I hate it, but then in the same breath she will say but can you make me....[fill in the blank]. It's rude and annoying!

Actually, there is nothing wrong with being an old lady; hopefully we will all get there someday, and still be hooking! Before then, do what you enjoy and don't listen to the negative talk; some people can't help themselves.

I'm 51, and my passion is making dolls; it makes me happy (and the recipient happy too!), and that is all that matters.

Beth

Beth is 100% right! People do love her dolls!!! I did!! Well, I still do LOL!

Actually, there is nothing wrong with being an old lady; hopefully we will all get there someday, and still be hooking!

Before then, do what you enjoy and don't listen to the negative talk; some people can't help themselves.

Right on!

Actually, there is nothing wrong with being an old lady; hopefully we will all get there someday, and still be hooking!

I completely agree and am looking forward to being an eccentric old gramma some day (which is to say, just the same as I am now with silver hair and a few more wrinkles). It's not so much about age as it is the insinuation that I'm not "cool" anymore. I've gradually mellowed over the last 10 years so people who knew me as the guitar playing artist who worked as a video game tester are having troubles coming to grips with the crocheting, bread making program manager for a large corporation that I've become. The truth is that I've always done stuff like sewing and baking but people who don't know me very well don't realize that and then they get upset that I'm not as edgy and hardcore as they thought.

Archived