Crocheting does *not* make me an old woman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned the granny square when I was 9. Started to teach myself more stuff at 13. Really got into crochet in high school. Haven't stopped :crocheting yet and will probably die with a hook in my hand :lol. I'll be 48 Feb. 13th. and don't think of myself as "old". If anyone calls you "old lady", gag them with a scarf :devil

Ellie 13

Actually, there is nothing wrong with being an old lady; hopefully we will all get there someday, and still be hooking!

Beth

Right on!

I completely agree and am looking forward to being an eccentric old gramma some day (which is to say, just the same as I am now with silver hair and a few more wrinkles).

AMEN Sisters!!

I'm not an old lady. :devil

:bounce

ROFL Drew!! Good point.

I'll be 48 Feb. 13th. and don't think of myself as "old". If anyone calls you "old lady", gag them with a scarf :devil

Ellie 13

Hehehehehee Ellie.

Old is as Old does. Sounds to me like DBF is the one with the problem. He's the one who sees stereotypes and is unbending in his thinking. I'd be inclined to ditch the "OLD GEEZER" and look for someone with a younger viewpoint!!

I picked up a needle and some yarn at 9 years old and taught myself. The first project I made was an improvised whiskey bottle magnet for my alcoholic step-dad. I learned from there. I am 45 now, and have crocheted (and knitted) just about everywhere. If I forget and leave it at home, well....my mistake. Any single human being who knows me or has seen me, knows I do yarn and needlework. I have found that most people are amazed at what I can do. I have also taught many people through the years. Both right-handed, and left, because they saw me in public, and wanted to learn. My most cherished wish was realized when my 23 year old daughter asked me to teach her how to make a stuffed animal net with crochet about a week ago. I tried to teach her when she was younger, and she just was not ready. :) Take pride in what you do, and never be embarrassed by it. I even take my stuff into the bars with me to have a beer or glass of wine with friends. Even there, or maybe especially there, people are wide eyed with awe.

Blessed Be.

I picked up a needle and some yarn at 9 years old and taught myself. . I even take my stuff into the bars with me to have a beer or glass of wine with friends.

..... and she puts a freshly crocheted coaster under her glass!:lol

Its funny....i was talking to my daughter (who's 17 btw and has not lived much life yet therefore does not possibly understand the therapy and fun and enjoyment i get out of crocheting pretties and such) this morning...she wore her scarf I made her for the first time to school yesterday...i asked her if she got any comments on it. At first she said no, but then she said during flex (like a studyhall) she was reading her book, and had the bookmark I made her (swirlies on both ends with chain in the middle) and the guy next to her asked what it was...she told him a bookmark...he asked where she got it...she said...my mom made it...he said wow, thats cool....she said, yeah, she made me this scarf too (then showed it to him from her bag) and he said wow, that is awesome...her response back was: Yeah...she's a knit freak...and she has no life!! :oops I said, well, gee thanks sweety, you just made my day!

..her response back was: Yeah...she's a knit freak...and she has no life!! :oops I said, well, gee thanks sweety, you just made my day!

Looks like a bunch of us 'old ladies' have no life. Too funny. I might be a lady, but I ain't old..pay no attention to these grey hairs and creaky knees. They lie :lol

I have been crocheting since I was a kid....I am now 46...

I carry my crochet bag everywhere I go...friends houses, to work (i crochet during my lunch break!), family gatherings.....

My husband races motorcycles and I have my bag with me all over the racetrack..

Some of the younger people look at me like I am a nut...but thats cool! I am a bit off any way! lol

Anyway...do not let someone else's opinion of your gift of the craft stop you!

If people have a problem with my crocheting, they can go jump off a cliff for all I care. I can tell you now that if I hadn't been so stubborn over Yarn colors, I probably would have learned and stuck with Crochet at the age of 7.

My BF recently told me I looked like I was 80 during one of my"intense" crochet moments....sometimes it takes concentration and I ignore the world around me as I'm hunched over reading the pattern for the tenth time...anyway, I thought it was funny at first, but now I think it's more of a "dig" because I was ignoring him. I think I could have worse hobbies and he should keep his comments to himself.

I'm 24 and I really haven't had anyone say anything about it/me being old.

My husband bought me my first book, hooks and yarn. And he loves that it is a way lessen stress for me.

My family supports it because:

a. both my grams and my mom used to crochet, and they gave me all their yarn, hooks, and patterns when I started since they can't do it anymore

b. everyone loves something homemade.

I really do not crochet too much in public, but in many of my classes there were girls that would knit scarves during our lectures. It tempted me to do the same, but I am a habitual note-taker and needed my hands free.

If you are considered old because you crochet then I must be ancient....

I have been crocheting for over 45 years.

I don't care what any one thinks and never have. I crochet because I love it. I have always packed around my projects and never had any one tease me about it. Ask questions, yes. But never gave me a hard time that I remember. But then again I am ancient and the memory may be going..............

I had a male friend, make a comment, when I mentioned that I have started crocheting. I have took my crocheting to work and worked on stuff on my lunch break. No one at work has made any comments. One lady wanted me to make her the beret hat and scarf I was wearing.

DH has made the comment, "Why are you crocheting again?" I enjoy doing it, so I don't care what others think about it.

Archived