Crocheting does *not* make me an old woman

My DBF, who was very supportive of my crocheting when all I made was amigurumi, is now giving my grief since I start making some more "traditional" items like scarves and afghans, saying it's something old women do. Also, last week when my friend was in town she called to sort out plans for the next day and I told her I could meet up with her after I went to the LYS and I could hear the girl she was with laughing at me and saying, "Isn't that what old ladies do?" I would really like to bring my projects out with me but I just know DBF or someone else is going to say something about it. I hate feeling embarassed about doing something I enjoy. :worried

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so sorry that you are getting that feedback from them. It is definitely not something that only old ladies do. I am only 24 and I crochet all the time. Personally I would tell them where they could stick their opinions and would not be making anything for them at all! But that's just me :P

I fail to see a big difference in crocheting amirigumi and crocheting scarves. I'm sorry but your boyfriend and the girl who was with your friend at the LYS are hopelessly out of touch. Both knitting and crochet are hot right now. They're just so behind they times they don't know it. Perhaps they need some education?

that is sad, but I get it with certain people too, I just don't talk about it with them nor do it around them. I know that no matter who I associate with in life I will find some percentage of them that don't care about the arts and that is what it is: a lack of support for the arts because some of the earliest arts are fiber arts. So I say take heart honey and do it when ever and where ever you want, don't be pressured by others to do/not do what you want! We support you!!!

I have been crocheting since I was eight and have been known to do it on the subway, in church meetings, at fellowships, plays, concerts and all kinds of other strange places when I am waiting. When someone says something I tell them that it is my worry beads and that it makes me happy. I also once told someone that as long as my hands were busy I was less likely to tell them off. They left me alone after that. Do what makes you happy if anyone doesn't like they are the uncool ones.

NiYa :yarn

I crochet everywhere. I don't care what people say or think. If they want to joke and say I'm an old lady, then so be it. Most of the time though, people just ask me about it and stuff. Even my co workers think it's cool and they're like 18 too. I wouldn't let it bother me.

They're just jealous cause they can't do it!:nahnah

I've never had anyone say that to me. I have crocheted during classes and other places around campus. If anyone says anything, they think it's cool and I wouldn't care if anyone said anything against it. My fiance never says anything bad about it either (unless it's about me not finishing projects).

I wouldn't stress that too much. I got a lot of those dumb jokes, I just turned 27. People have sterotypes and one of those is that people who knit and crochet are usually old women. They will have to get used to it. Don't be embarassed, take it with you and you will show them that they are wrong. Eventually they will get used to seeing you with it and get tired of trying to make their dumb jokes.

Make something great for yourself and wear it / carry it proudly! When you get compliments, I'll be that'll stop them! :yes

My DH sometimes teases me (affectionately) and DD says I'm obsessed. Whatever! I enjoy it and life's too short to worry about what other people think. You aren't hurting anyone...take it with you and be happy! :bounce

I fail to see a big difference in crocheting amirigumi and crocheting scarves. I'm sorry but your boyfriend and the girl who was with your friend at the LYS are hopelessly out of touch. Both knitting and crochet are hot right now. They're just so behind they times they don't know it. Perhaps they need some education?

:clap That's what I said! I'm not sure what the difference is either except that maybe it's just because the word is japanese. :P It could also be that the other stuff I've made isn't stuff he would use so he doesn't see the value in it. I think I'll pack a small project to carry along with me and see how it goes.

I also once told someone that as long as my hands were busy I was less likely to tell them off. They left me alone after that.

Heehehehehehe, I love that.

Just tell them that. :) I am 21, and I crochet all day.

I tell people it makes me happy. I don't throw fits when people want to shoot shots down their throats at a bar, and I think they are to old. :D

The guys at work (I work as a receptionist at a car dealership) think that it is amazing soemone my age does what I do and they always stop in to see what is hanging off my hook that day. Once they got past the initial shock, which happened about the time I brought a tunisian graph ghan with me, to work on. They were in awe for weeks.

Crocheting is a hobby, or an art, for me both....and also a way to make a living for others, they should take that into consideration, and don't feel bad about pointing it out. If people make fun of you, let it bounce right off your hooks. :hook

and if all else fails, take up knitting too. That'll give them something else to talk about it. :lol

Oh they laugh out of the other side of their mouth, when they are cold and reach for an afghan, scarf, hat or gloves that you made. Do they think they magically appear?

Originally Posted by Ankh viewpost.gif

I also once told someone that as long as my hands were busy I was less likely to tell them off. They left me alone after that.

This statement is perfect. I wish I could of thought of that a couple of times. Your friend's friend was just rude and is to be ignored.

Shrug it off and ignore those sorts of opinions. One of the most important parts of growing up and finding yourself is doing what makes you happy (as long as it isn't destructive!) regardless of what others think of it. But do make a mental note of who is supportive and who isn't. Sometimes it's a hint of their character (either immaturity or unsupportiveness.)

I've even taken crochet on the bus because who wants to sit there and twiddle there thumbs for 2 hours just so nobody will notice them?? I've seen a few people watching who were really interested to see me make something out of a piece of yarn.

I have a lot of friends who don't understand why I crochet...but then when they see what I've made, they are in awe...that i MADE it and it looks GOOD. I just laugh.

I'm 42, I'm addicted to crochet (and yarn)...I like it...and I don't care what you think!!! Some people are addicted to drugs, others suffer depression...this is my addiction prevention and sanity!

In fact, I had a friend who's a couple years older than me come up to me at a New Years Eve Dance (keep in mind we were all very much drinking the beverages of the evening!!) and she wants me to teach her to crochet. I told her "anytime, honey, just not right now...gotta buzz goin..." :rofl

The world is a big place with room for all kinds of people, even those of us who dare to crochet in public,,,I think it's a great way of meeting people,,don't people start talking to you, "what are you making", "isn't that hard?" etc,,,It's a great opener for conversation,,we may all be different, but really I think we're more alike

You get that hook out and be a "proud hooker" (oops, that didn't come out right) LOL

I think there's always going to be someone out there that just doesn't understand the joy & contentment we get from working with yarn :( I've been crocheting for over 30 years & I figure it's their lost not mine, it's something I enjoy & that gives me happiness so who cares:yes

My DBF, who was very supportive of my crocheting when all I made was amigurumi, is now giving my grief since I start making some more "traditional" items like scarves and afghans, saying it's something old women do. Also, last week when my friend was in town she called to sort out plans for the next day and I told her I could meet up with her after I went to the LYS and I could hear the girl she was with laughing at me and saying, "Isn't that what old ladies do?" I would really like to bring my projects out with me but I just know DBF or someone else is going to say something about it. I hate feeling embarassed about doing something I enjoy. :worried

My ex gave me grief over my crocheting and knitting. Just one more reason he became my ex. As to what this girl said about your hobby, chalk it up to a visual aid of ignorance and lack of cooth.

No one has ever given me any grief about crocheting - my friends and family are all thrilled with the things I make for them. The closest I've ever gotten to a bad comment from family was from my MIL, who said, "I don't know how you have the patience to just sit there and do that!" (all she does is sit and watch TV/talk on the phone, apparently that doesn't take patience! LOL) I don't crochet much in public - I did a bit when I first started, but I always seemed to drop my yarn on questionably clean floors, or lose my hook, or just get settled in and start a couple stitches when I'd be called back to my appointment - so it's just easier for me to take a book somewhere if I think I'll have to wait. I remember getting a few odd looks from people, and that bothered me, but I really don't like getting any sort of attention from strangers (I like to blend in, not stand out).

The first thing that would come to mind for me if someone 'accused' me of doing an old lady's hobby is, "Well, when do you think old ladies learned to do this? When they were my age or younger!" :D

Trust me, I know it's easier said than done to ignore comments from people when they hurt. But when people make the "old lady" comments it's a lot of times out of ignorance. Honestly, I'm sure there are a lot of people who, never having had any exposure to needlework and crafting, don't even realize that the sweater they have on from Old Navy is knitted (by machine, granted, but knitted all the same). If they'd stop to really think about how many store-bought knitted items they own, maybe it would shut them up about those of us who make those types of things instead of having to buy them! ;)

They're just jealous cause they can't do it!:nahnah

Thanks ladies! You've cheered me right up. I think, for me at least, that it's not just about what i made but the fact that I made it myself. My boyfriend scoffed when I made a pair of slippers but on the other hand I was snowed in for a week and my feet were toasty warm. He also made fun of the cozie I made for my phone but someone at work saw it and said she thought I should make them to sell. I guess for every party pooper there's also someone out there who'll appreciate it. I'm proud of what I can do and the things I've made so I shouldn't let anyone make me feel ashamed for it. :hug

I've got a group of 6 people at my work who I'm teaching to crochet - all but one of them are in their 20s & 30s...they are so thrilled to be learning something new!

I agree with the others - try to ignore those not so nice comments. I've gotten very few of them, but I don't let the ones I do get bother me.

Well first off I would not make DBF a nice afghan or scarf. I crochet everywhere, even in the club (bar) we belong to, I take alot of ribbing, but little do they know some have approached me about forming (teaching) a SNB Thursday night, I made an awesome cami and they were all in awe. Keep at it, don't let other's opinions affect you. Stay true to yourself.

I'm almost 21 and I can't get enough crochet everyday. Some people used to make comments about it being for old ladies but I think after a while they just gave it up (especially after I made them something cool, hee hee.).

Just keep on keeping on and let other people say what they want to say but don't let it get to you. You know that what you're doing is cool and it doesn't matter what other people think.

Julee

Archived