Let's Warm Up America....Again!!!

HollyzHobbyz

Good Morning Everyone!

We've been talking about Warm Up America (WUA) here in this forum quite a bit recently. Many of you participated in the "Soften the World Simply Soft Sweepstakes" sponsored by Caron Simply Soft yarns last year for WUA. WUA is wonderful organization providing afghans to almost anyone who needs them. They recently added the Ronald McDonald Houses to their list of recipients.

Why don't we do some serious "stashbusting" and have a CAL to help Warm Up America? :hook All they ask for are 7X9 rectangles (crocheted "or" knitted). You do not have to join them together yourself, but if you feel compelled to do so...here is a link to WUA's "Tips on Joining WUA Afghans" page.

Starting this Friday (January 9), we'll run for six weeks. That makes our deadline Friday, February 20. This way, we can have them on their way to WUA by the end of February. If you would like, you may send them to me and I will send them to WUA. And don't forget to keep us posted on how you're doing!

I was just researching into this the other day! I believe I had wanted to do this last year or the year before and ended up not having the money to be able to participate.. this year i could do a few.. and if I have a michaels I could drop them off there but i dont think we do near.. I am legally blind so I dont drive.. so if it isnt near i would rather mail them to whoever is doing this.

If you have read the WUA website, they also take 7" X 63" sections. See

http://www.warmupamerica.com/join.html

Where they state: "If you want to make several sections, but not an entire afghan, consider knitting or crocheting a 7" by 63" strip (Diagram A). It makes assembling much easier and less time consuming."

Last fall I received an estate stash from a friend, and in that stash was a lovely afghan panel that was 48"X10". I frogged it to a width of 7" and added 15" to the length with various stitches and a 7" dc square. This weekend I will wash it and I hope to get it in the mail on Monday. Or even better, if our Michaels takes them, as mentioned in these posts, I will take it there and save on the postage, too.

Just thought I would share.

-Marzee

Stashbusting CAL: WTD: 0/YTD: 0

TeamVJGC

:hi

You may want to check to see if Michaels will still accept them. Michaels doesn't offer classes anymore ( I was a teacher and the officially designated wua square joiner) and some of them have almost eliminated their yarn sections. AC Moore still collects them though.

NiYa :yarn

:cheer

I was hoping someone was doing a challenge. I was supposed to participate in a Valentine's day afghan challenge a couple of years ago and I never got mine sent in. I have several already, but not enough to make a blanket. I can send those in and do some more.

It was fun because I had never crocheted a motif into a block before and it was fun to learn.

Hi jammer, yes, I would love to do this! I love making squares, I think they are a great way to practice my knitting and crochet stitches. I will send my squares to you by mail, I will PM you for address.

I'm in! I'll probably drop mine off at Michaels to save postage.

Please don't do that. I have seen reports on various stitch messageboards that Michael's throws the squares away! :(

Not only that but they in financial trouble. They have fired all of their crafts teachers (no more classes!) and there has been a steady decrease in their yarns sections. Sadly, I think Michael's may be on its way out.

Thanks for the heads up about Michaels. I will avoid going there, afterall. No AC Moore out here, so I guess I'll just pack the section up and send on directly to WUA.

-Marzee

Stashbusting CAL: WTD: 0/YTD: 0

Team VJGC

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm sorry, I was out of pocket for a few days. We had my husband's retirement party from the military on Saturday night. When we got home, I wasn't feeling very well. To make a long story short, I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery on Sunday afternoon. Everything's fine...they let me come home yesterday afternoon. I've got great drugs, and more importantly...all week to sit & crochet! :hook So, I'm going to finish a baby blanket for my niece "and" start working on my rectangles!

Hi Everyone! I finished the baby blanket I was working on, and have started working on my rectangles! :hook Only three done so far, but I will get them done! We've got a little over four weeks until the 20th of February, so plenty of time! :yes

Have a great day!

You know what? I think I'm going to make the Warm Up America afghan that's featured in Vanna White's Color It Beautiful Afghans Book. I was going through my yarn stash and realized I have plenty of different colors to make the entire afghan. :crocheting And, if I can make a few extra rectangles...so much the better.

You know what? I think I'm going to make the Warm Up America afghan that's featured in Vanna White's Color It Beautiful Afghans Book. I was going through my yarn stash and realized I have plenty of different colors to make the entire afghan. :crocheting And, if I can make a few extra rectangles...so much the better.

Okay...change of plans. :blush I'm just not liking how it's coming out. So, back to making rectangles!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived