Comfortghan for John Travolta & Kelly Preston - FINISHED! SEE PICS! Post 145

donnalynn2

I'm sure by now everyone knows that their son died over the weekend. It's such a horrible thing and I was wondering if there was any interest in doing a comfortghan for them?

Does anyone know them personally? I may be able to get a comfortghan to them if nobody else does... The Travolta's live in Ocala (where I live) and although I don't personally know them, a very good friend of mine's husband owns a landscaping business and does their landscaping and maybe if I ask him he'll deliver it for me. I don't know if he'll do it, but it's possible.

Is there any interest in doing this for them? I would sure like to do something... Let me know!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this would be a very nice thing to do for the family. If I can help in any way, please let me know. I don't know how to crochet from a graph other than cross-stitch on it, but what might be nice is to maybe have a picture of Jett in the center.

Please let me know if I can help.

Andrea

I can make a few squares also. Its just not right to lose a child! Children should outlive their parents! Such a sad situation. Maybe a comfortghan would be welcome

I also live in Florida about 40 minutes from Ocala. Infact today my daughter starts school at the Vo-Tech there. John has ALWAYS been one of my favorite people. I have never made anything like this but have crocheted over 40 years...I'd be willing to help out...Thanks:manyheart

I'm sure by now everyone knows that their son died over the weekend. It's such a horrible thing and I was wondering if there was any interest in doing a comfortghan for them?

Does anyone know them personally? I may be able to get a comfortghan to them if nobody else does... The Travolta's live in Ocala (where I live) and although I don't personally know them, a very good friend of mine's husband owns a landscaping business and does their landscaping and maybe if I ask him he'll deliver it for me. I don't know if he'll do it, but it's possible.

Is there any interest in doing this for them? I would sure like to do something... Let me know!

What a wonderful suggestion! However, it can be very difficult to get items like this to celebrities. I know you're just trying to gauge interest right now, and that nothing has actually been started.

Before you do start plans to actually solicit squares and put a comfortghan together, please be sure you've contacted the landscaper and verified that he would be willing and able to deliver the comfortghan to the Travolta family.

Once you know that you'll definitely be able to get a comfortghan to them, then feel free to go full steam ahead with plans! :hug

If this will find a way to them I would be more then happy to help out with squares. I am a mom of a 17 and 13 yr old boys and I just can't imagine the pain that they must be going through at a time like this. Just so sad.

Ok, well I'll talk to my friend and see if it's possible to get delivered to him. If it is then we'll start making arrangements... Like Amy said, I definately don't want anyone to start sending in squares or anything unless I can guarantee that it can be delivered.

I know someone had mentioned possibly the local paper. I don't know about that. I'll try my friend first and if that doesn't work out then maybe someone else may have a connection... It's hard enough to get the Travolta's to come out publicly for a movie premiere for charity so I'm not sure what kind of pull the Ocala Star Banner will have but you never know...

I just wanted to know if there was interest... Give me at least a few days and we'll see what I can come up with... In the meantime if someone else has a connection, by all means explore it.

I have got some nasty cold/flu thing and have been in bed for 3 days so I'm not doing much of anything at the moment... I'll keep everyone posted on my end and if someone else beats me to the punch, that's fine too... Just let me know!

THANKS!

My son is twenty four and he is autistic and has a seizure disorder so the news hits close to home. I would make a square for this. They say some think he was autistic but the travolta's didn't agree. I looked at his picture and he did look autistic to me, but neither here nor there, it doesn't affect how he died, of a seizure disorder. It's very sad and scary to think of, losing a child.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the comfortghan is a go! I talked to my friend Natalie and her husband who does landscaping for them said he would deliver it and make sure it gets to them!

So here's what I'm thinking... I'd like the squares made in primarily the same kind of yarn if that's possible. (Hoping I'm not asking for too much on this one.) I'd like everyone to use Caron Simply Soft or something very similar. (If there a bunch of objections to this no problem but I really wanted it to be nice and all the same yarn but not red heart SS and since Caron SS is a nice, soft yarn that's pretty inexpensive and widely available I figured that would be the best bet.)

As far as size goes, I am thinking 8" squares. There is no need to weave in your final end as I always do a row of SC's all the way around each square before joining with my joining color so I can work them in that way (but if you really want to weave them in you can! :D)

Any color yarn is fine and you can use any pattern you like. There are many to choose from on Crochet Pattern Central in the 8" size.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/8in_squares.php

I'd like all the squares at my house no later than Feb 7th. If this sounds like too short a time span, just let me know and I will do my best to accomodate. (I'm easy! :devil)

Oh, and if you need my info, please e-mail me for my addy:

donnalynn237 at aol dot com

Thanks a bunch everyone!!!!

Archived