Crochet Pattern a-day ???

MyGirlFriday

The calendars are out there. I found the 2009 Crochet Pattern a Day Calendar at Joann's and bought one when they were half price. It was a waste of good money. So many of the patterns in the calendar can be found online for free at major yarn company's website! Other patterns are for useless, silly items that I'd never make!

Amazon.com has the calendars.

I received mine as a Christmas present and I was absolutely disgusted with it! As Kelley stated (and I recognized right away) most of the patterns are available online for free! I feel ripped off and will probably not purchase this calendar again. What a shame!

Thanks for the info...I've been disappointed in it for a few years now. There are usually a few good patterns, but the rest is just a waste of money. The knitting one is the same way.

The calendars are out there. I found the 2009 Crochet Pattern a Day Calendar at Joann's and bought one when they were half price. It was a waste of good money. So many of the patterns in the calendar can be found online for free at major yarn company's website! Other patterns are for useless, silly items that I'd never make!

Amazon.com has the calendars.

I saw them too! But I didn't buy one, I have two from the last two years. There's only a few in each calendar that I like so I'm not going to buy the new one. I found that the last one did have many patterns that are online free. Why pay that then?

I could be wrong, but perhaps they are accepting and using patterns from major companies because they don't have enough submissions from "regular" people designers? I generally have enjoyed each calendar (I have 4 now), and look forward to getting them each year. Admittedly, there's stuff in each that I won't make...but everyone's tastes are different, so I expect that. It is frustrating when a pattern gets spread thinner than I think it needs to be, but again, that may be due to insufficient submissions as much as anything else. (this year at the deadline, they mentioned they still had room for more.)

just my :2c

(and yes, there is a 2009 CPAD...they usually come out in Oct/Nov. I've seen them at Sams (always about 1/2 off) and you can get them online too, if your local craft stores, etc, don't carry them. Barnes and Noble sometimes has it too.)

I could be wrong, but perhaps they are accepting and using patterns from major companies because they don't have enough submissions from "regular" people designers? I generally have enjoyed each calendar (I have 4 now), and look forward to getting them each year. Admittedly, there's stuff in each that I won't make...but everyone's tastes are different, so I expect that. It is frustrating when a pattern gets spread thinner than I think it needs to be, but again, that may be due to insufficient submissions as much as anything else. (this year at the deadline, they mentioned they still had room for more.)

just my :2c

(and yes, there is a 2009 CPAD...they usually come out in Oct/Nov. I've seen them at Sams (always about 1/2 off) and you can get them online too, if your local craft stores, etc, don't carry them. Barnes and Noble sometimes has it too.)

I agree that it was probably due to lack of submissions. My major beef wasn't with the original designs that are not things I would usually enjoy making. I too expect that I will not like everything. Part of the fun of what you got was to see what regular people designers would come up with.

I didn't get the 2008 calendar but did purchase the 2007 one. I don't remember a single major yarn company pattern in there (but could be wrong). I didn't like every pattern in there but I sure appreciated everyone's talent and contribution and really enjoyed looking over everyone's designs.

I just feel cheated that I received a gift (but would have purchased if I didn't get it) where several of the patterns are available for free.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I was so disappointed when I started looking through the calendar.

I do remember posts saying that the calendar still had room for more submissions after their deadline had passed. I sent two patterns to them, and hope they will choose one or both for their 2010 calendar. I think that is probably the reason why there were so many yarn company patterns included. The way I look at it is: Yes, I'm paying for free patterns, but now I don't have to track them down online and print them out myself. I don't think there is anyone who makes everything in a pattern book or pattern collection. I know I like to page through the calendar and see all the possibilities out there, even the ones I know I won't make.

I am always amazed at the things that can be crafted with thread or yarn and a hook and I feel that we are blessed to have the ability to crochet!

Borders has had the calendars for 50% off for the last two weeks. I have a pattern in the 2009 calendar so I bought three. My mom is one of those picture people that has to show everyone what her children family, clients are doing so she was excited to be able to show off my name in print. I also submitted patterns for the 2010 calendar.

I agree it is at times disappointing to see patterns spread out over 3 days when it will fit on one but I was still excited to see regular people designs and of course my own name in print for the first time.

NiYa :yarn

I didn't get the 2008 calendar but did purchase the 2007 one.

I have the 2008 and it is full of yarn company patterns.

The way I look at it is: Yes, I'm paying for free patterns, but now I don't have to track them down online and print them out myself.

I don't have to track them down. I have all my favorites already bookmarked and most of them saved to my computer or a disk. I have many of those already printed out. So while it might be a time and money saver for some, it wasn't for me.

I'm glad you have them saved. I had two computer crashes :( in the last 6 months. For me, it's worth having printed versions of good patterns. I've learned not to trust my computer, and disks go bad. I buy the calendar with a 40% or 50% off coupon from Joann's, so $6 is about the same as I pay for a non-sale pattern book with maybe 5 or 6 patterns in it. I'm okay with that.

I don't have to track them down. I have all my favorites already bookmarked and most of them saved to my computer or a disk. I have many of those already printed out. So while it might be a time and money saver for some, it wasn't for me.

The way I look at it is: Yes, I'm paying for free patterns, but now I don't have to track them down online and print them out myself. I don't think there is anyone who makes everything in a pattern book or pattern collection. I know I like to page through the calendar and see all the possibilities out there, even the ones I know I won't make.

This is exactly why I get it. I get to see a bunch of new patterns and I don't have to spend tons of time online browsing for some (although I do that too, and I don't usually recognize most of the calendar patterns). I got the 2008 calendar last year for 75% off and this year's for 50% off, so it's more of a bargain.

One thing that absolutely bugged me about this year's is that the very last pattern of the year is the EXACT SAME PATTERN as the Dec. 31, 2008 pattern from last year's calendar. THAT is annoying!

Now I think I should start designing patterns so that I could submit one for a future calendar.

I refuse to pay full price either but this will be the last I will probably purchase.

And in my little humble opinion, if they are not receiving enough submissions, then don't publish a calendar, especially if they are relying on free patterns from major websites. That is not fair to the consumer. However, they may feel that there are people who do not have access to the internet and are possibly targeting those consumers.

I also agree, some patterns I would never make but everyone has their own taste. And the same applies for any books and magazines I have, there are always a few that I pass by.

But good luck and congradulations to those who have published designs. It is wonderful to see your own name in print.

LI Roe

Something they did one year for the knitting one was to have a "stitch of the month." Why they didn't repeat this for the subsequent years is beyond me, as it was a nice feature. I think this would be a bonus for the crochet one, too.

Well this is disappointing. I just ordered mine about a week ago on-line at half price. I was looking forward to it LOL but not any longer.

I hope there is at least one thing in it I'd like to make.

Donna

My DH got me the crochet calendar for Christmas. I have to agree with most everyone that it isn't the same as it has been, but at least I don't have to go search out the patterns.

He also got me 365 crochet stitches. The link is for Amazon but you can find it other places too. I like this much more than the calendar pattern & will probably find it more helpful. It shows you the stitch, tells you the multiple of stitches required & gives the instructions. There was one stitch in there that I'd been looking for for a while. Now I can duplicate my DD's favorite purse before it wears out! lol

Wow I'm glad i did buy one this year. I looked and looked for the calender this year and when I couldn't find it I was total bummed. However, now I think it was a good thing I couldn't find one.

I purchased the '07 and '08 calender and was disappointed. So this year, I just didn't buy it.

I know there are some good patterns in it, some created by folks here, but after the last two years, I just walked away.

It sounds like it was the right choice.

:manyheart

I only had two basic patterns on 09's calendar...I waited too long to submit them...that was before they had an easy online submission method, and before I had a good camera to take good quality photos. Next year though, I have submitted at least 4 patterns. Some have ended up in show and tell, here, but I didn't include the pattern. Among them (teaser) is a baby's first Christmas ornament, a mini-jewel case, and Timmy/Tina the Toothfairy's little helper.

I think that adding a stitch-a-day, as opposed to printing patterns from major companies, would be a huge improvement for the calendar. I find it disappointing to see "Lily" "patons" etc, in this, which should be for and by, regular people. But overall, I have been satisfied with the CPAD...

To each their own.

Archived