Pine Ridge Sponsorship Forum & Kids Who Need Sponsors

SoCalDonna

With all the talk about making things for our kids I just wanted to mention this group - it is a great resource for crocheting

www.crochetpartners.org

many of the very famous people in crochet belong to this group and everyone is asking questions how do you do this, and where can I find a pattern for that. I love it, but would recommend you set it up for daily digest, as it is a busy group.

Rosa

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone ever bought anything form the place listed for the free yarn? I would like to give it a try but am worried with everything you read about things being hoaxes now a days. I was able to buy yarn very inexpensively from Aunt Mary's beautiful yarn for a fraction of the cost, and she bills you only shipping, and ships the same day, she and her husband own the place I think and when I called she walked around and told me what colors she had on hand and that is exactly what I got! Sam

Hi everyone-

I really like the idea of keeping our conversations about sponsorship here for now, just because we may be able to recruit more sponsors. I think, if we do eventually feel a release is necessary, we could approach the families by telling them that we would only use these pics/information to help raise awareness about the great need at Pine Ridge and recruit more sponsors. Just my thoughts.

Update the 2 girls I sponsor, ages 18 and 2: I spoke with their caregiver last week and got their needs list. When I asked what they could use, the she said pretty much anything because it is 90 miles (I think) to the nearest town that has even standard items like shampoo, soap, food stuff, etc.

One thing she did mention is cloth training pants, anyone know where I could get those inexpensively? They were $7 for a 3 pack at Target! Surely they are cheaper somewhere else! I checked Dollar General and they didn't have any.

I also hit the sales at Target, got some cute baby outfits for the 2 year old and some food items they requested. I have also found some deals at local consignment shops, the clothes are used but in good condition. I am sending out a box tomorrow.

Anyone have any crochet ideas for the 2 year old? I wanted to whip out a little tank or something before I sent this box but couldn't find a free pattern. Or even easy patterns for toys or something if you can think of something cute you've made/seen.

Tandi

I was going to make halter tops for the 2 girls I sponsored...until I remembered the whole modesty thing...lol! I can't imagine that would set well with their mom...no matter how cute the tops are. But, I have each of them a scarf made already. It worked out well...the oldest likes green and blue and the youngest likes pink...and those just happened to be the 2 colors I made...lol! I'm working on one for the boy I sponsor as well. I'm also starting afghans. The oldest girl will be getting mint green and cream ripple, the youngest girl will be getting a pink and white star and the boy will be getting a blue and white ripple. Next year I have 2 large gifts to purchase...the oldest girl and the boy will both be 13. She'll be getting a shawl and he will be getting a Soiux Star Pendleton...if we can afford it...otherwise I'll be making him a nice choker. I wanted to get something really nice to commemorate their birthdays...13's a big deal ya know! lol!

Well, I think I better get this shut down...lightening is hitting awfully close to my house!!!!!!!!!!

I had thought about doing that. I still might...but this is what I *really really really* want to get him.

http://store.wanderingbull.com/siouxstarrobe.html

Hehe...I'm gonna ask Carl if he'll give me a deal on it...lol!

http://www.geocities.com/justauntb/siouxsquare.html

here is a pattern for the United sioux Tribes I remembered it when you mentioned the big gifts for next year - woudln't this be wonderful?

Pamela

Hi:

Pamela, that Sioux nation crochet block is great! That Sioux Star blanket is beautiful--that's an interesting website.

To update my two kids, they're boys, brothers, ages 3 and 2. There are six adults and six children in the household. The grandmother is a wonderful person to talk to. Apparently, she was one of the older ones in her family, and helped raise her siblings. Then she raised her own children when she was widowed, and now she has three of her children living with her, along with their children, so she can help them get a start with their families. She works in the education field, and also spends time driving to visit her other children and grandchildren--this lady deserves a medal! I bought the boys new sandals at Payless Shoes today to go with their new clothes, so will send those off tomorrow with some other goodies. Pamela, I should have thought of the Chain Gang, but promised to send the grandmother some extra crochet hooks I have--she sounded like she'd be happy to have them.

We still need sponsors for the remaining four children in the household, right Pamela? The other children are a 1-year-old boy, a 4-year-old boy and his 5-year-old sister, and a 3-month-old girl.

Remember this is not a monthly sponsorship program where you cough up the 30-40 dollars and send it off hoping it is doing someone womewhere good. Rather you are a ssigned a specific child, you are given the family's name and telephone number if they have one, and you work directly with them, you are not to send monies, and your only obligation is to send 5 care packages a year First Day of School, Thanksgiving, Christmas, EAster, and their birthday, just pick up a little something extra when you are at the grocery store - perhaps some unsweatened kool-aid, watch the clearnance racks at Target, Wal-mart or your local discount store, crochet, crochet, crochet. If you have the time read the thread about crocheting for the babeis, you got a staash that can turn into a hat, scarf, mittnes, afaghans, leggings and so on, while you only sponsor the child - are you intl making dish rags and such, through some in for the grandma, she will love you.

Yes Donna I am sorry to say that those four are still waiting, I am hoping that I may have found someone for the four year old girl we will have to waitr and see - I know that for now a lot of people are on vacation, but remember while we are flying, swimming, enjoying the sights these children may very well be going hungry - CAN you help? Please write me at Pamela_Spirit-Rising@comcast.net. Thank you

Hi pamela,

I just e-mailed you but wasn't sure if you would be reading Crochetville first or your e-mails.....if you still need sponsors for the other 4 in the family of 6, I will sponsor them all...if not, I would love to sponsor atleast 3 kids...babies, toddlers,teens & tweens doesn't matter. My children are 5, 7 & 11 and love to correspond and create....so it would an added plus to the care packages!!

Oh Pamela you will enjoy helping the children:yay You are doing what I did, starting off with a bang:woo By that I mean sponsoring more the one child.

By the way I am almost finished with a little scarf for my 2 year old little girl. I am using your puffy stitch pattern. I LOVE IT:manyheart

Let us know about your kids when you get them.

Oh Pamela you will enjoy helping the children:yay You are doing what I did, starting off with a bang:woo By that I mean sponsoring more the one child.

By the way I am almost finished with a little scarf for my 2 year old little girl. I am using your puffy stitch pattern. I LOVE IT:manyheart

Let us know about your kids when you get them.

YAY!!!!:clap I have some Baby Clouds I want to use with the stitch next.....I called Pamela today after she e-mailed me but had to leave a message so hopefully I will find out more soon. It was funny though..."Hi Pamela, it's Pamela"...until I started talking online, I have been the only pamela I have ever known!:D

You can also go to http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/difference/craftforprr.shtml

and there are lists of ways to help. donations, sponsorships, goods needed, etc.

Would be good in case you are interested in helping, but not interested in a long term thing.

I have a suggestion, when talking to the parent of the child(ren) you sponsor ask if the parent does any type of craft (knitting, crochet, jewelry making,etc)...May seem frivolous with so many needs to be filled but it might be a special treat for the parent if needs are hard to meet then you can only image not having special things. Besides whats it going to hurt to send a box of goodies from your stash?

Pamela (Sewcrochet4fun) I am so glad you will be able to sponsor. We have decided to, at least temporarily, use this forum to talk about our sponsorships (what general information we can without breaking confidentiality) and discuss donation ideas, etc. for our Pine Ridge Families. I sponsor 2 girls, 18 and 2 and just sent off my first package yesterday but have really enjoyed shopping and finding deals!

Tandi

Hi, Pamela (sewcrochet4fun):

I'm so glad you decided to sponsor those four children. :cheer I have the two brothers, and their mom is expecting so I'll sponsor her new baby also. I felt bad to be sending something to the two boys if the others didn't have goodies arriving also. We can maybe keep in touch about the needs in the household. You'll like the grandma. She told me the best times to call her are Sat and Sun mornings, and at or after 8 on weekdays.

Cheers! Donna L. :yay

Well, it is official!!:clap

I am sponsoring five....ages 4 months (today), 1, 4, 5 & 6.

Tomorrow I will call and tonight I am making a list of things I can sew & crochet...I have 2 birthdays coming in a couple weeks!!

I was telling Pamela on the phone that the greatest part of this is knowing who you are helping...your efforts are real, the impact is shown and the heart is warmed 10x over!!

Hubby will not be home til late tonight but I will have to stay up and explain otherwise he will have a heart attack if he sees me making & buying baby things...LOL:blush

Hey All I hit target today and they are having an awesome sale on school supplies:yay :yay

Here is what I got

4- 24 pack of rose art crayons for .10 a piece:cheer

10- 70 sheet notebooks for .10 a piece

2- 2 packs of glue sticks for .50 a piece

4- folders to hold homework for .7 a piece

2- 12 pack rose art colored pencils for .50 a pack

They also had baby and toddler clothes for 75% off.

I got one cute top for my 2 year old girl for .98

and a cute onsie for the baby for .98

and a cute t-shirt for 1.98 for the 2 1/2 year old brother.

I also found the sweetest fatest 18" baby doll on clearance for 10.00. You press her tummy and she giggles. I am going to crochet some outfits for her and that will be the little girls christmas present:jumpyay

I found other things as well but to many to list. So any of you that are sponsoring school age kids run to target and check out the sales:D

Things are finally moving! Can I tell you about the next ones I really need to move on? It seems like we have a number of people reading the emails so this might be a way for me to let people know I wonder if there is a way to add to our name - Pine Ridge Sponsorship Forum and Waiting Children Might catch an eye - any thoughts ?

Well here goes

This grandma has 11 children 15 and under she is caring for - a few have sponsors and like Donna says it is so sad to see the others left out - now no one person has to take them all - we were so blessed with Pamela (the other Pamela!!)

Boy 1

Girl 3

Boy 5

boy 9

and another Grandma who is responsible for 14

again some have sponsors those that are left are

Boy not yet one

Boy 10

Girl just turned 1

and two more girls I do not have the ages for yet

I will call the Grandma's once I hear if there is any interet it is so hard to get their hopes up as it is so hard. Please those of you who read this spread the word, as children are referred, I will add the next group, thanks Pamela

sale ends tommorow but at Office Max they have the 24 pack of rose art crayons for 9 cents a package, loose paper for 15 cents a pack, the storage pencil boxes for 49 cents each, pkg of the fabric book covers for 9 cents each, 12 pk pencils for 12cents.

Also Walmart is having a great sale too, paper for 15 cents a pkg and the 70 count spriral notebooks for 6 cents each..

Hey All I hit target today and they are having an awesome sale on school supplies:yay :yay

Here is what I got

4- 24 pack of rose art crayons for .10 a piece:cheer

10- 70 sheet notebooks for .10 a piece

2- 2 packs of glue sticks for .50 a piece

4- folders to hold homework for .7 a piece

2- 12 pack rose art colored pencils for .50 a pack

They also had baby and toddler clothes for 75% off.

I got one cute top for my 2 year old girl for .98

and a cute onsie for the baby for .98

and a cute t-shirt for 1.98 for the 2 1/2 year old brother.

I also found the sweetest fatest 18" baby doll on clearance for 10.00. You press her tummy and she giggles. I am going to crochet some outfits for her and that will be the little girls christmas present:jumpyay

I found other things as well but to many to list. So any of you that are sponsoring school age kids run to target and check out the sales:D

yes I will be going in October but what I have begun doing is that as someone approaches me with supplies I provide them with a contact that they can send the things directly to. This gets the neeeded items in the hands of the family much faster, and as you would be spending the postage anyway lets get it to the needy family as soon as possible. When you are ready to send supplies PM me privately and I will provide you with the information. Pamela

Hey all,

Pamela and I wanted to let you all know that we have the charity group ready to go.

We are calling it Crafting For A Cause in yahoo groups. We have decided to include all crafters that would like to help. Crocheters, knitters, quilters, sewers, beaders, woodworking, leather work etc...

To start off we will be including Pine Ridge Reservation, Kids going through cancer treatments at UC Davis in CA and Pamela's Chain gang and other special needs children.

We also will support a different chairity a month. We are on the ground floor right now so come along and join us.

Archived