Pine Ridge Sponsorship Forum & Kids Who Need Sponsors

SoCalDonna

Hi, everybody:

Pamela (dr-mom) had suggested that we have a thread for people sponsoring children on the Pine Ridge Reservation to share their experiences with the children and the families, share pictures, and to encourage others to "adopt" some children on the reservation. I think this is a great idea, but Pamela had also wondered whether this would be more appropriate as a separate Yahoo Group, or if anyone else had any ideas. Anyway, this is to get the ball rolling for this worthy cause. I'll check with the moderators to see if this type of forum is okay for the board, or should be taken elsewhere.

I'll start: At this time, I don't feel I can take on a sponsorship, but would like to in the near future. We are currently helping out a little boy in Rwanda through World Vision, as well as a couple of missionaries through our church. However, this project appeals to me because it's helping people right here in our own backyards, and I'm hoping to help out in other ways for now, like by making afghans and quilts. I'm so shocked at these conditions existing here in our own country. These people are the original people who lived here, and they deserve better. Let's try to make things better for the children and the elders! :soap

Please share your experiences with sponsorship--God bless all you sponsors!

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

P.S. Okay, I think I need to sponsor a child too--maybe one or two babies?

P.S.#2: Pamela would also like to use this forum as a way to keep us posted about children she's trying to place with sponsors. This will be updated as Pamela becomes aware of the needs at Pine Ridge.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is some information about the Pine Ridge Reservation that was provided by Simone, a new Villager:

"> The Pine Ridge Oglala Lakota (Sioux) Indian Reservation sits in Bennett, Jackson, and Shannon Counties and is located in the southwest corner of South Dakota, fifty miles east of the Wyoming border.

> The 11,000-square mile (over 2 million acres) Oglala Lakota Pine Ridge Reservation is the second-largest Native American Reservation within the United States. It is roughly the size of the State of Connecticut.

> According to the 1998 Bureau of Indian Affairs Census, the Pine Ridge Reservation is home to approximately 40,000 persons, 35% of which are under the age of 16. Approximately half the residents of the Reservation are registered tribal members of the Oglala Lakota Nation.

> The population is steadily rising, despite the severe conditions on the Reservation, as more and more Oglala Lakota return home from far-away cities in order to live within their societal values, be with their families, and assist with the revitalization of their culture and their Nation.

> Recent reports point out that the median income on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately $2,600 per year.

> The unemployment rate vacillates from 85% to 95% on the Reservation.

> There is no industry, technology, or commercial infrastructure on the Reservation to provide employment.

> The nearest town of size (which provides some jobs for those few persons able to travel the distance) is Rapid City, South Dakota with approximately 57,000 residents. It is located approximately 120 miles from the Reservation. The nearest large city to Pine Ridge is Denver, Colorado located about 350 miles away.

> Some figures state that the life expectancy on the Reservation is 48 years old for men and 52 for women. Other reports state that the average life expectancy on the Reservation is 45 years old. With either set of figures, that's the shortest life expectancy for a community anywhere in the Western Hemisphere outside Haiti, according to The Wall Street Journal.

> Teenage suicide rate on the Pine Ridge Reservation is 150% higher than the U.S. national average for this age group.

> The infant mortality rate is the highest on this continent and is about 300% higher than the U.S. national average.

> More than half the Reservation's adults battle addiction and disease. Alcoholism, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and malnutrition are rampant.

> The rate of diabetes on the Reservation is reported to be 800% higher than the U.S. national average.

> Recent reports indicate that almost 50% of the adults on the Reservation over the age of 40 have diabetes.

> As a result of the high rate of diabetes on the Reservation, diabetic-related blindness, amputations, and kidney failure are common.

> The tuberculosis rate on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately 800% higher than the U.S. national average.

> Cervical cancer is 500% higher than the U.S. national average.

> Each winter, Reservation Elders are found dead from hypothermia (freezing).

> It is reported that at least 60% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation are infested with Black Mold, Stachybotrys. This infestation causes an often-fatal condition with infants, children, elderly, those with damaged immune systems, and those with lung and pulmonary conditions at the highest risk. Exposure to this mold can cause hemorrhaging of the lungs and brain as well as cancer.

> Many Reservation residents live without health care due to vast travel distances involved in accessing that care. Additional factors include under-funded, under-staffed medical facilities and outdated or non-existent medical equipment. There is little hope for increased funding for Indian health care.

> School drop-out rate is over 70%.

> According to a Bureau of Indian Affairs report, the Pine Ridge Reservation schools are in the bottom 10% of school funding by U.S. Department of Education and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

> Teacher turnover is 800% that of the U.S. national average

> The small Tribal Housing Authority homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation are so overcrowded and scarce that many homeless families often use tents or cars for shelter. Many families live in shacks, old trailers, or dilapidated mobile homes.

> There is a large homeless population on the Reservation, but most families never turn away a relative no matter how distant the blood relation. Consequently, many homes have large numbers of people living in them.

> There is an estimated average of 17 people living in each family home (a home which may only have two to three rooms). Some homes, built for 6 to 8 people, have up to 30 people living in them.

> 60% of Reservation families have no telephone.

> Over 33% of the Reservation homes lack basic water and sewage systems as well as electricity.

> Many residents must carry (often contaminated) water from the local rivers daily for their personal needs.

> 39% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation have no electricity.

> 59% of the Reservation homes are substandard.

> It is reported that at least 60% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation need to be burned to the ground and replaced with new housing due to infestation of the potentially-fatal Black Mold, Stachybotrys. There is no insurance or government program to assist families in replacing their homes.

> Some Reservation families are forced to sleep on dirt floors.

> Many Reservation homes lack adequate insulation. Even more homes lack central heating.

> Without basic insulation or central heating in their homes, many residents on the Pine Ridge Reservation use their ovens to heat their homes.

> Many Reservation homes lack stoves, refrigerators, beds, and/or basic furniture.

> Most Reservation families live in rural and often isolated areas.

> The largest town on the Reservation is the town of Pine Ridge which has a population of approximately 5,720 people and is the administrative center for the Reservation.

> There are few improved roads on the Reservation and many of the homes are inaccessible during times of heavy snow or rain.

> Weather is extreme on the Reservation. Severe winds are always a factor. Traditionally, summer temperatures reach well over 110*F and winters bring bitter cold with temperatures that can reach -50*F below zero or worse. Flooding, tornados, or wildfires are always a risk.

> Many of the wells and much of the water and land on the Reservation is contaminated with pesticides and other poisons from farming, mining, open dumps, and commercial and governmental mining operations outside the Reservation. A further source of contamination is buried ordnance and hazardous materials from closed U.S. military bombing ranges on the Reservation.

> The Pine Ridge Reservation still has no banks, motels, discount stores, or movie theaters. It has only one grocery store of any moderate size and it is located in the town of Pine Ridge on the Reservation.

> Several of the banks and lending institutions nearest to the Reservation were recently targeted for investigation of fraudulent or predatory lending practices, with the citizens of the Pine Ridge Reservation as their victims.

> There are no public libraries except one at the Oglala Lakota College.

> There is no public transportation available on the Reservation.

> Ownership of operable automobiles by residents of the Reservation is highly limited.

> Predominate form of travel for all ages on the Reservation is walking or hitchhiking."

Thanks so much to Simone for providing this information, and to Pamela (dr. mom) for alerting everyone to this situation.

Pamela (dr-mom) had this information about sponsorship:

"Sponsoring

really there is not a lot to do, you contact spirit rising through myself or the director Jeri Baker (Pamela_Spirit-Rising@comcast.net). We send you out some informaiton about how the program works. It is very unique in that you work directly with the family, call them write them, send things, form is friendships. I like to speak with all sponsors in person and talk about cultural differences so that there are no misunderstanding, review the expectations of the program, the sponsor committment. Children available are all ages from newborn to age 18. Some sponsors request an older child that they can communicated with more directly though letter writing and so on, other was a baby or toddler so that can look forward to sponsoring for several years. The sponsoring family is asked as to what type of child and age they are intereesting in forming this relationship with.

The committment is to send a care package a minimum of five times a year, the child's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and the first day of school. Many sponsors find they send little things throughout the year. Some sponsors take on one child, some take a sibling group. Currently there are over 500 childrfen waiting, everytime I call to make a sponsor connection the reservation family tells me about another family in need.

My husband and I sponsor three children a set of twins and a baby boy - we are having a blast, shopping watcing sales, great time now to hit Target and the like as the summer clothing is on clearance.

I hope I have been able to answer a few of your questsions."

Pamela

I hope I have the email address right--if not, please let me know. This is a great opportunity to help someone and also get to know them, and know that your items are going directly to a specific child.

Thanks!!

This is what New Villager Rosa had to say about Pine Ridge and sponsorship:

"Babies and elders will die from cold this winter can you help

Pamela already started a thread about crocheting for the babies at Pine ridge and I want to try to help. Pine Indian Reservation is the poorest in the United States, the average income is similar to that of India or Haitia, perhaps even poorer, the community of 40,000 people often live without heat and electricity, the elders the oldes grandpas and grandmas will give their blankets and coats to the little ones, and often may freeze themseves rather than letting a little one dye of cold. It is so hard that here in the United States where we are considered a leading contry in the world that we care so little about our own.

...[Pamela] is doing her volunteer work through an organization called Spirit rising

http://www.spirit-rising.org/

please note they have a unique sponsoship program you send no monies but buy physical items for the child such as school supplies, school clothes, birthday present and so on - your only obligation is to five times a year, first day of school, thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and their birthday."

If you don't feel you can sponsor a child at this time, that's fine, and crocheted donations, school supplies and comfort items are always needed. However, this forum is mainly for sponsors who want to connect with each other.

Okay, now I'll shut up!

This is great, and I think a yahoo group for sponsors would be great too...it would spread the word even more...to a whole other range of people.

Any how...I sponsor 3 kids now...began sponsorship of 2 more today.:D They are an 11 year old boy, an 11 year old girl and a 7 year old girl. My family is doing this as a joint effort. I've sponsored through other organizations..only one of which I was anywhere near satisfied with. But this has been by far the best. I'm 1/4 blood myself (that we know of anyway...could be more) and have been absorbed in Native culture since I was a child. So this hits home for me. It's a chance to give back to my people. In order to recieve good things in life, you need to also give good things to others. And those that you give to, they can later turn around and give to someone else. It becomes one big circle.

It's so hard to imagine that this type of poverty is going on in our own backyard. Maybe some don't know it is and some may choose to close their eyes to it hoping that by doing so it will just go away. But without help, it won't go away. Wether it's sending items, sponsorship, letting others know, even prayers...every little bit helps to bring a solution.

And Pine Ridge is not the only place with these problems. This is close to what life is like on nearly every reservation. Rosebud for instance...life is no picnic there either! I belong to the NH Intertribal Native American Council. One of our members visits different reservations each year and brings much needed supplies. It is bad everywhere! Native Americans on the Res seem to be a forgotten minority on the whole.

On a more positive note...my mom and I have been talking for about 2 weeks now about taking a trip out to Pine Ridge in the next 2 years. We have a friend out in SD that we want to visit, and thought we'd visit the kids we sponsor, too. Thank you Pamela, btw...I hadn't been aware how far the Res is from my friend! lol! I want to plan it around when there will be a good time pow-wow.:D The ones we have here in NH are a joke for the most part!

If everyone likes the idea of a yahoo group we could get that going - I am in California right now formy brother's wedding but I can set one up at the end of the week when I get home unless - someone wants to go ahead and get it going now? Pamela

I think this is a great idea. I have read a lot about the reservation and the horrific conditions there and recently saw Pamela's posts and have just signed up to sponsor an eighteen year old girl and her two year old daughter. I haven't been able to speak with the contact person yet about specific needs but should be able to this week. I would love to be able to keep up with others who are sponsoring, let me know if there is any way I can help.

Tandi

Pamela a yahoo group is a great idea for sponsors of the Pine Ridge families!!

I signed up a few weeks ago. I have 3 toddlers and a baby from 2 families living in the same home with the grandparents.

I did get to talk with the grandmother. I was able to find out what there needs are and health issues.

Pamela I can start a yahoo group if you want. Just let me Know?

Hi I am back - I think as sponsoring families you have to decide what you would like to do - if you would like more personalized contact then I think it would be fine to set up a yahoo group. In my position as a volunteer I can not encourage you either way - but I do hear a lot of enthusiasm. I did check on the group all ready started and it is a closed group just for those families that all sposnor one particular large family - if you decide to start one you need to remember the rules of confidentiality and you may want to screen those who join, so that there would not be any problems with confidential information getting out - just some ramblings - Pamela

Lynn I would like to encourage you to wet up the sponsorship group - I can read between the lines and Pamela correct me - as she is in a volunteer position with the organization and this would be a family led group and not under the wing of the organization she can not offically make a recommendation either way - but I would like to encourage her to join the group as a family sponsor - so what are you thinking of for a name = Spirit Rising Sponsors - something so when people search looking to do a sponsorship they will come up with us and we can also add the link to all of our personal email - Just my thoughts Sam

Hey all,

After much thought I think the sponsorship forum would be very hard to do for Pine Ridge. We would have to be so very careful not to invade the families privacy. I just don't want to get mixed up in any legal problems.

We can still encourage and discuss Pine Ridge on this forum. Let me know what you all think.:think

Lynn, I came to the same conclusion, as far as starting a Yahoo group. It sounds like a great idea, but the confidentiality issues are a problem, and also asking the families to sign a waiver of some kind seemed like it might feel like we were trying to invade their privacy. Still, I hope people continue to think about sponsoring.

I'm starting a sponsorship of two little brothers, ages 3 and 2. I was able to do some shopping today for clothes and toys at Target, and had a blast, since I'm at the stage where my boys are grown but I don't have grandkids to buy for yet! This is a household of 12, 6 adults and 6 children. I wish I could sponsor all 6 children in the household, but just can't afford to. I believe this is the household that Sam the Man mentioned in the other Pine Ridge thread. The other children in the household are: a 1-year-old boy, a 4-year-old boy and his 5-year-old sister, and a 3-month-old girl. Since two of the six children are now sponsored, it sure would be great to get sponsors for the other four so they won't feel left out. Their grandmother, who is the head of the household, sounds like a special lady, although I keep missing her with my phone calls!

The only way that I could see that we could start a yahoo group would be that it would have to be a closed group - and only individuals could join that received an invitation, they would be indiviudals that were currently sposnoring or that were invited by a current sponsor, and interested in the sponsorship program Pamela

What was the main concern with confidentiality? My original thoughts were just having somewhere we could share our sponsorship experience and maybe list good deals we found or good ideas we have, we could possibly share information like we have now but just with general information, no names or pics. Would those be the main confidentiality concern?

I am fine with this forum we have now, we could each keep up with it like we have but not discuss any specific details. That way people who may be interested in sponsoring could check this out and read about our experiences and possibly be pursuaded to join. Just my thoughts.

Tandi

Tandi I think sharing ideas about sponsorships in this forum is a good idea.

So I will start.:yay

I went to our local 98 cent store and bought 4 calling cards. Hey for 98 cents for an hour long distance is a deal:dance So I am using these when I call my family I am sponsoring. They work great:clap

Also target right now is having a clearance on childrens clothing and also check Old Navy:D

I also hit target - I picked up matching outfits for the twins (just over a year) and couple of outfits for the baby boy all under $10 orginal price closer to $60. I also always make sure I remove all price tags, no chance for kids sponsored by different families to compare prices and hurt feelings. I also have assigned myself crochet project to work on now for this fall - 3 baby blankets 3 sweaters, scarfs, 3 sets of mittens, and 3 hats, that should keep me quite busy! Let alone the blankets project.

Pamela

I enjoy reading about those of you who are sponsoring children. I can't committ to sponsoring yet but I am planning to send some school supplies to Pam to take on her trip. I found a good deal on crayons, folders and glue at Walmart.

Barbara

Pamela also gave me a good idea. I am going to make each of my kids scarves and hats, sweaters and afghans. Pamela I am going to start on the scarves tonight :wcold

I know it is summer but it will get so cold before long on the reservation:snow

If Crochetville is okay with us discussing our sponsorship here, that works for me! :yay

I was able to speak today with the grandmother of the two boys we're sponsoring (ages 2 and 3) at Pine Ridge--what an amazing lady! She told me about her background and her family, and seems like a very strong and hardworking lady. Her family is very important to her, and it will be great to get to know them better. The two little boys love cars, Spiderman and Spongebob, as well as bright colors. I'm looking for some little sandals to go with their new outfits, and maybe a couple of snacks and unsweetened Kool-Aid, which she says they like.

donna was it you that said you wrote the moderators to see if it was ok? my only fear is what about all the knitters, and quilters and everyone else - we need everyone for all those kids out there - you know me always begging. Ok now please share with us what you can about grandma and what she had to say, if not breaching confidentiality. Pamela

Archived