Comfortghan for a Good Friend--Have Enough Squares, Update Post #55

The_Virginia_Hooker

I want to make a comfortghan for my boyfriend's dad, he could really use a 'big warm yarn hug'.:(

Here's some info about him:

-He's in his 60's

-Had his doctorate in education, graduate of Duke, UVA, Randolph-Macon, retired professor, taught speech and humanities classes at a few colleges and schools

-Retired Air Force Reserves Lt. Col.

-He knits and sews. Over the years he made his wife's maternity dresses, some formal dresses, some of his children's clothes, curtains around the house, etc. He's made his daughter NUMEROUS scarves out of yarn, and even made her a dress for her prom.

-His wife passed away Jan 1, 2009, right after midnight, after years of an illness and horrible symptoms of it. For the last month and a half (and sometimes on and off over the past years, depending on how she felt), she was in bed, and he cared for her 'round the clock, only getting sleep if she were getting sleep. They were married for 44 years, a very loving and caring couple. Because she was sick he always prayed that he would not outlive her because he could not die not knowing if she would be loved and cared for as she needed. He talks about her like she was a gift from God and "I've never thought i was good enough for her, but there's no way i would ever let her go to someone else!" He's one of the rare kind of people, and somehow I got lucky enough that this man's son (who is very similar) is my boyfriend.

Here's the squares i'm aiming for:

• 8 inch squares, about 54 squares total (he's tall)
  • Going to try to stick to various shades of blue, any blues, but i would like to avoid white as much as possible
  • worsted weight 100% acrylic yarn
  • whatever square patterns
  • would like to avoid squares that have a 'floral' motif if possible
  • Edging not necessary

I'm completely sorry if i've left something out, this is the first time i've asked for comfortghan squares. If anyone needs more info, just let me know (i'll PM address though.).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be glad to help make some squares. Please PM the address on where to send them and I'll get some in the mail this week for you. My prayers go out to you!

I would also like to make squares for him. So sorry for his loss, my thoughts and prayers for all of you. Pm me your address and I will get them sent off as soon as I have them made.

I have never joined in anything like this, but I think I might have some blue in my stash, what type of pattern for the square would you prefer say a typical granny? And what size hook? Thanks for being so dim, I never did this before!!!

Any 8" square pattern really, i'm just leaning away from the 'flowery' kind.

Hook size, since the yarn is worsted weight acrylic, whichever hook is preferred for it :)

Got my squares in the mail to you today, Monday, January 5th. And like me I forgot to put anything in there that says it's from me. I got it all taped up and found the note I wrote you sitting on the counter next to the box. So I put my name on the returned address (minnisoda) so you'll know there from me. Ughhh, my memory !!!!

Got my squares in the mail to you today, Monday, January 5th. And like me I forgot to put anything in there that says it's from me. I got it all taped up and found the note I wrote you sitting on the counter next to the box. So I put my name on the returned address (minnisoda) so you'll know there from me. Ughhh, my memory !!!!

That's ok, i almost forgot to get yarn today to make my own squares lol. And i wrote down the day you mailed so thati'll know it's yours :)

I'll make some squares for you. I have lots of blues. What kind of square though. I know nothing flowery, but what kind of square is masculine? I'll have a look around. PM me your address and I'll have them out the end of the week.:)

I'll make some squares for you. I have lots of blues. What kind of square though. I know nothing flowery, but what kind of square is masculine? I'll have a look around. PM me your address and I'll have them out the end of the week.:)

Any squares without flowers are fine, and basic squares are pretty neutral.:)

Archived