Frigid Greetings from Alaska!

wyckofr

Welcome from Fairmont, West Virginia.:) I love the fact that you a couple of you are from Alaska. My husband and I are planning on moving there this year. We were looking into the Wasilla or Anchorage area depending on where he gets work. He has an interview for BP&E on the 21st of this month so keep your fingers crossed! We have always wanted to move there. I actually have a cousin in Anchorage and two others in King Salmon. Hope you enjoy this forum. I think that it's great!

Hey there Rolling Backpack :) So awesome you live up here. Hope staying warm through this cold 'snap.' Man, I sure hope it warms up a little this weekend.

Stitchymama, that's cool you guys are thinkin about moving up here. It's quite an experience moving up here heh, but so worth it. I love it up here. When I get a chance, I should share some pictures I've taken while I've been up here. Been on several wildlife cruises and hikes that have been mind blowing. I've had my grandparents, parents, and cousins up here since moving up. They all have said their trip to Alaska was the best time they've ever had.

Hi Rick ~

Was wondering where you get your necktie patterns as my dh is asking for one for his uniform - he really liked one he had years ago that was done in navy blue on a machine but it looked like a fine seed stitch. I know I will have to find some really fine textured yarn to copy it, as it wasn't bulky.

If you have any ideas could you PM me ???Thanks for any and all help!

:hi:welcome A big hello & welcome from CT!!! :welcome:hi

Hello Rick from So Cal which is so nice right now you'd probably be warm! LOL I couldn't imagine being in Alaska. I know a lot of people who want to move there. Not me! I'd turn into a popsicle! LOL! You'll like it here!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I live pretty close to Anchorage. Where do you usually go for your yarn? Oh! Have you been to that shop out in Palmer? It's WONDERFUL. If you haven't, I really recommend it. Nice to see another Alaskan =) We can really use the stuff we make now, it's getting chilly again.

Boy, it sure is gettin chilly again Fropolean. I've been going to The Quilt Barn. It's in a little strip mall behind Barnes and Noble on Benson (just before you get to Denali). It's a great shop. I'm taking a knitting class there right now. The ladies there are very helpful. They also sell quiviat, which I'd love to use someday when I have an extra couple hundred bucks haha.

I haven't been out to Palmer since this summer. Which place are ya talkin about?

Hmm. I'm not quite sure of the name, but this lady runs it out of her house. Her next door neighbor has a ewe that she gets wool from and she's also got an angora rabbit, so she's pretty well set. Anyways, I think it's behind a bank, but don't quote me on that. It's a blue house with a boardwalk. If you ask any locals that knit or crochet they'll know exactly what you're talking about. I think it's called Fantastic Fibers. Anyways, it's the biggest yarn shop I've ever been to (even if I have lived here my whole life...all 18 years of it haha). Anyways, that's all I know. Let me know if you find it. -M

Rick, :welcome to the Ville! You will find other guys here in the forum and I think it's awesome that you crochet! Nothing to be self-conscious about, didn't one of the famous sports athletes do needlepoint :lol

My husband has always wanted to go there but its not in my budget but maybe one day it will happen,Great to see you here and hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. I like being able to talk to people about things.And am sure you know men don't know what you are talking about when it comes to croching.A BIG WARM WELCOME FROM WEST VIRGINIA:yay:cheer:hug

Hey all,

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes.

...about guys and needlework... I'm taking a knitting class here in town and I can tell the teacher isn't used to working with guys. Last week was our first class and everytime she would go around to see how we were doin, she'd nonchalantly bypass me heh. I didn't really have any problems though and if I had I would have asked her, but it was kinda funny that she would stop by just about everyone except me. But anyways, it's an odd stigma that society has placed on needlework... that it's a "feminine" activity. I'm an artist and an architect. I just love to create things, whether sketches, paintings, pottery, or even buildings, and I find needlework as just another media of art. I love the textures and the compositions; the rhythms and the repitition... sounds like alot of the things I look for in good architecture heh. But it's also amazing to see a fabric come together after you've spent so many hours working on it.

Oh and Fropolean, I misspoke on the name of that yarn store... it's The Quilt Tree, not the quilt barn heh.

And yes Emeraldjayne, you guys need to come up and see Alaska. It's amazing. Everytime my family's been up to visit, they say just how much fun it is. This last summer, my cousin brought her 2 kids up. They were 9 and 6, and they still talk about it. Earlier this winter, it was snowing down there and the littler one says, wow if it's snowing here, I wonder how much Rick is getting in Alaska! hehehe. It's really cool to have made such a good impact on em.

:waving:welcome:waving

Welcome to the 'ville!

It's nice to see more men joining! Crochet is for everybody!! :D

I saw a man checking out with yarn at WalMart one day, and noted that it was camoflauge....

So I just asked: "Do you crochet?" He was obviously very embarrassed, but I didn't let him brush me off.

He said he did, so I told him about Crochetville and invited him to join us. There are several men here, and some are designers!

He seemed interested, but to my knowledge he's never joined. At least I haven't seen anybody from this immediate area join, so I don't think he has. I guess some men would rather be "closet crocheters"! :P

I hope you enjoy it here! You'll be amazed at the inspiration and support you'll find! :cheer

Archived