If someone were to crochet or knit something for your baby

what is your favorite gift to give/receive for a baby  

350 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favorite gift to give/receive for a baby

• blanket
    • layette
    • toys
    • Other, let me tell you what I think!

what would you want it to be? Or perhaps you could answer with what is your favorite gift to give! you can choose more than one option!

Oh wow, I got the first vote! LOL

I almost always give blankets for babies. I have to make the disclaimer that I don't have children, so I personally can't say whether this is a good gift or not. But everyone I've ever given a blanket to has seemed very happy, and when I watch my friends/family with babies, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as too many blankies!

If I don't have the time for a blanket, I sometimes make a set of four washcloths out of Sugar and Cream (or whatever cotton yarn I have on hand) and package it up with a bar of mild baby soap (like Burt's Bees) or a bottle of baby wash. I also do this a lot for someone's second or third (or more) baby, as I figure they already have a lot of blankets.

Every baby needs its own blankey!!

I usually crochet blankets, this way the child can keep it as they grow older. I was so happy to see how my daughter-in-law and son treasure the ones I made for the grandchildren.

That doesn't answer your question, but if I were young and having children, I would like a blanket, then I would always think of the person who crocheted it.

I voted other because I love to give blankets but usually with booties, bibs, toys, outfits or whatever. Most of the time I give sets but it really depends on how much time I have.

Blankets are great because they really can't be outgrown. Even if the baby/child can no longer be covered by it, it can be used as a security blanket, or for toys.

I like layettes that include a blanket. The blanket is a forever yours gift, but the sweater set is a hand me down that can go through the years of babies as an heirloom.

i would like anything but i like brighter colors for babies. when my son was born, i can't tell you how many pastel blue items i received. i would have loved a red blanket, or kelly green, etc. he will have the blanket for years and an 8 year old boy will like a red blanket much more than "baby blue".

I recived a knitted blanket for my DD and it was her favorite as an infant. It means alot to me because the woman who made it really encouraged me to keep crocheting and kitting even when other people thought I was weird and cheap. She has since passed away and I will always remember remember her when I see the blanket.:hug

I tend to give out a set with a blanket, hat and a small toy. Not sure why I started doing this but most everyone likes it. Dresses are always a big hit.

Edited by zeropixie

the absolute best would be a pair of "woolies" or a baby sac.... unless its a summer babe.... then it would be baby wash cloths and small toys along with a hat that has a brim on it...

I'm torn between the Blankie and the toy because those are both things that are bound to see a lot of use from the baby. For instance, when I was a kid I had both my favorite blankie and a favorite toy to tote around... Had em for years and years, since before I could remember.

Edited by DawnofMarch

I like blankets because if anything will become treasured by the baby, it's most likely to be a blanky.

I like layettes that include a blanket. The blanket is a forever yours gift, but the sweater set is a hand me down that can go through the years of babies as an heirloom.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Plus babies grow so fast that they really only wear a layette set a few times before they can't fit in it. A blanket can be toted around for years.

And all this baby stuff is wonderful to receive as gifts.

:manyheart

I voted for "other", cause my vote would be for one of those car seat blankets. Seems like a real practical idea.

I'd have to say blankets to receive and to give. I treasured the ones given to my boys when they were babies and I tend to make blankets as they are a "one size fits all" gift. I also picked other as I prefer the soft cotton knit or crocheted washcloths to use for my grandson.

I usually give a blanket, but if i were the one getting the gift, all i ask for is please use machine washable and dryable material. I know people who HAVE made a baby blanket out of yarn whose instructions say "hand wash." Oh yeah, that's what Mom feels like doing, handwashing a blanket, couple days a week.

I always make my items with wash and dry yarns. Babies spew things out from everywhere, and if i want what i make to be used, it needs to be easy to use.

I cherish most the blankets that were made for my girls but I also love their sweaters and booties.

I always give blankets because I have never attempted sweaters. I really like the idea of the wash cloths with soap though, especially for the person that has had several children, such as Arielmanx suggested.

I chose blanket, because after having 3 children of my own (they are all grown up now..thank heavens), you can never have enough blankets. They need frequent washings and you always seem to need a spare or spares for one reason or another.

I make blankets and sometimes washcloths. For my own baby I would prefer blankets or washclothes or safe toys that fit the theme of my nursery, under the sea in BRIGHTS. I think knowing the mothers choice of neutrals, pastels, brights, or primary colors etc. is important.

I voted blanket. I don't have kids but I figured little outfits might be worn a brief time but, as others have said, a blanket can be repurposed and used for a long time. Interesting insight on expanding the color choices, I've always stuck with pastels. Hmm.

I always give blankets with the baby's name on them. Mum's seem to love them and I have even been told by 'babies' who are now in their 20s and 30s that they still have their blankets and love them.

I give jr sized blankets.

Babies outgrow baby blankets so fast. My round ripples are at least 3 1/2 to 4 feet across and my baby ghans are at least 3x4. I make them out of Red Heart or Caron so they can take a beating and lots of washings. I also give a ball of each of the colors that are in the blanket so that if it ever needs repairs it can be fixed with the same colors.

i would like anything but i like brighter colors for babies. when my son was born, i can't tell you how many pastel blue items i received. i would have loved a red blanket, or kelly green, etc. he will have the blanket for years and an 8 year old boy will like a red blanket much more than "baby blue".

I made a black baby blanket for my friend's daughter. (It was originally a dark green cotton, but for some reason turned black with washing.) Apparently it was the perfect gift, because that child NEVER lets go of it, from Friend's reports, and she sometimes laughs, wondering what people think fo her daughter, in sweet white and pink, dragging along her worn out black blankie.

(I try not to do too many pastel baby items, I do bright, vivid primaries if possible, because every baby i know goes for bold colors before pale ones, and if the kid doesn't liek the color, why give it to them?)

My favorite gift to give is a blanket. Layette sets are too dicey for me, I'm always afraid they'll be too small, or even if they fit, the baby will only be able to wear it for a few weeks at best. It's a lot of work to go through for something the mother and baby are going to get so little use out of.

Toys are cute, but they are something that I make and give as "just because" gifts. Unless it is something like the Noah's Ark ensemble that OnFire4Jesus was so kind to give us her pattern for, most toys just don't look like enough to be a stand alone gift.

Blankets, on the other hand, can be as simple (plain single or double crochet, granny squares) or elaborate (the Noah's Ark blanket or the Pocket Pals blanket) as you want them to be, and the child can and in most cases does use it WELL past toddlerhood. My cousin, who is 46, still has the crocheted baby blanket that my mother made her when she was born! She STILL likes to cuddle with it when she's not feeling well or is trying to unwind from a bad day. :lol