Ripple Chain Calculations

Joven76

Question

Hello All...

A friend of mine's mother made her a ripple afghan and I really liked the look of it, so I have been researching how to do it... I believe I have the basic idea down, however I would like to know how to calculate the number of chains I need... I plan on using a 6mm hook using a single crochet and would like to make my first one for a twin size bed...

I've seen the patterns around that tell you how many to use, but I'd like to be able to calculate the number I need myself... Can someone please explain how to calculate the number of chain's I would need based on my various projects??? Also, if I find a pattern that calls for DC, but I want to SC, then how do I calculate the # of chains then???

Thanks...

Christopher

3 answers to this question

Hello All...

A friend of mine's mother made her a ripple afghan and I really liked the look of it, so I have been researching how to do it... I believe I have the basic idea down, however I would like to know how to calculate the number of chains I need... I plan on using a 6mm hook using a single crochet and would like to make my first one for a twin size bed...

I've seen the patterns around that tell you how many to use, but I'd like to be able to calculate the number I need myself... Can someone please explain how to calculate the number of chain's I would need based on my various projects??? Also, if I find a pattern that calls for DC, but I want to SC, then how do I calculate the # of chains then???

Thanks...

Christopher

The starting chain number will be (the number of chains/stitches needed for one full repeat of your pattern - valley to peak to valley OR peak to valley to peak) x (the number of pattern repeats you want across your afghan - keeping in mind that you may want a half repeat at each side depending on how you want the corners of your afghan to look, you may want to draw out how you want your edges to look and use that to plan and count) + (the number of turning chains for your chosen stitch - sl st=0, sc=1, hdc=2, dc=3, etc.).

So for a ripple pattern that has a 3stitch increase for the peak, 3 stitches for each side and 3 2stitch together decrease set for the valley, you would be looking at the following for your pattern repeat: 1 chain for peak + 3 chains for down slope + 6 chains for valley (3 x 2stitchtog) + 3 chains for upslope +1 chain for peak = 14 chains per peak-valley-peak repeat.

If I want my blanket to look like this:

|\/\/\/\/\/\/|

|..............|

|..............|

|..............|

|\/\/\/\/\/\/

I think that is 6 full pattern repeats, with no halfs, but would need to check it to confirm - so that makes the formula for my theoretical blanket:

14 chains per repeat x 6 repeats + 1 turning chain for sc = 85 for sc

14 chains per repeat x 6 repeats + 2 turning chains for hdc = 86 for hdc

14 chains per repeat x 6 repeats + 3 turning chains for dc = 87 for dc

Happy calculating!

Cheers,

WOW you are VERY SMART!

It would have taken me ages to figure that all out. WTG!!

Donna

The starting chain number will be (the number of chains/stitches needed for one full repeat of your pattern - valley to peak to valley OR peak to valley to peak) x (the number of pattern repeats you want across your afghan - keeping in mind that you may want a half repeat at each side depending on how you want the corners of your afghan to look, you may want to draw out how you want your edges to look and use that to plan and count) + (the number of turning chains for your chosen stitch - sl st=0, sc=1, hdc=2, dc=3, etc.).

So for a ripple pattern that has a 3stitch increase for the peak, 3 stitches for each side and 3 2stitch together decrease set for the valley, you would be looking at the following for your pattern repeat: 1 chain for peak + 3 chains for down slope + 6 chains for valley (3 x 2stitchtog) + 3 chains for upslope +1 chain for peak = 14 chains per peak-valley-peak repeat.

If I want my blanket to look like this:

|\/\/\/\/\/\/|

|..............|

|..............|

|..............|

|\/\/\/\/\/\/

I think that is 6 full pattern repeats, with no halfs, but would need to check it to confirm - so that makes the formula for my theoretical blanket:

14 chains per repeat x 6 repeats + 1 turning chain for sc = 85 for sc

14 chains per repeat x 6 repeats + 2 turning chains for hdc = 86 for hdc

14 chains per repeat x 6 repeats + 3 turning chains for dc = 87 for dc

Happy calculating!

Cheers,

Archived