January Icicles Scarf and hat notes

darski

Hello Darski!

Very beautiful idea.

I love this colours so much at all my most popular colour is blue.

Thank you for sharing with us.

:manyheart Regards

Chandi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darski, just a great big thank you! I cannot express enough how much your patterns have helped my mother. She is older and has health problems but loves to make your patterns for her friends and their grandchildren. We both love your patterns and I am looking forward to making some of the Dora patterns this year for my neices. Thank you so much for taking the time to post them. Your work is just beautiful.

Darski, just a great big thank you! I cannot express enough how much your patterns have helped my mother. She is older and has health problems but loves to make your patterns for her friends and their grandchildren. We both love your patterns and I am looking forward to making some of the Dora patterns this year for my neices. Thank you so much for taking the time to post them. Your work is just beautiful.

thank you so much for your kind words. it means more than you can imagine to know that someone is made happier because of a gift of talent that was given to me. :hug

And one for you mother as well :hug

Thanks Darski for the beautiful set! But for some reason, the first link that you posted doesn't work? :think

Well that is annoying. it was working just a couple of days ago.

Replaced it with a You tube video by Teresa.

Darski, this is a beautiful scarf and hat set! Thank you so much for sharing. And also thank you for posting the link to the youtube video on the foundation DC... so cool! I'm definitely going to be trying that, and your pattern! :D

Hey Kiddo! How ya doin?

Your scarf is gorgeous and I hope to make it for charity. I love your colors. That's a good video of how to make the FDC..thanks for the link.

But first, I'd like to try these "general":lol notes for making the hat. I want to make it for my 7yo grandson in gray with some black stripes (his school colors are black and silver...the gray seems to work out okay for the silver). His mom says he has a big head but she has yet to give me a measurement. I wanted something with the FPDC but didn't know where to begin. I like the free one at Crochet Garden but with the cables my daughter thinks it's too thick for the North Texas area. Thank you for sharing this with us. I appreciate it very much.

I put my questions within the "general":hook notes in bold italics.

Thank you, Darski! :hug

General notes for making the hat...

ch 4 and join with sl st

Row 1: ch 2, 8 hdc in ring (counts as 9 hdc)

Row 2: hdc in every hdc and work a FPdc around each stitch as well. (the Post stitches are your increases.

okay, oh! I got it! hdc, then work a FPdc around that same hdc as well. Continue around, right? I'll have 18 stitches...9 hdc and 9 FPdc

Row 3 and every increase row hdc in every hdc and in the top of the FPdc. FPdc around FPdc. again the post stitches are your increases

hdc in each hdc; hdc in top of FPdc then FPdc around that FPdc...only on the increase rows.

Continue as for row three until you no longer want any increases.

Now how am I supposed to know when I no longer want any increases? :laughroll I guess I'll know when it becomes 10" in diameter, huh. :laughroll

Work evenly in hdc and FPdc stitches until you are ready to add in the white and work towards the brim. the first white rows are flat - they just provide a base for the upturned brim.

I worked the following colours and increased until row 7.

3 rows of Midnight navy.

3 rows of navy,

4 rows of royal blue,

6 rows of light blue

When you start with the white, work 2 rows of DC evenly

begin brim... work FPsc in 10, 2fpdc in next around hat and join. Fudge to make it work as you want. I just like a bit of extra room for the puffy brim portion.

Fudge!:eek I'm not very good at fudging but I'll figure something out. The only way I can make fudge is with marshmallow creme.

add in an extra strand of white yarn and work evenly in hdc for 3 rows.

working with 2 strands of yarn??

With whichever trim colour you would like work in a random pattern of sc and Long Sc around the brim. Instructions here for long SC

These instructions are very general. Please ask if something need (a lot) more explanation. :think

Oh, one more thing. I assume you use the 5.5mm hook for the hat?

:rofl

I believe that I used the 5.5mm hook and yes the brim is worked with 2 strands of white yarn. I moved up to a 6.5mm hook for the brim

This would be gorgeous done in as many shades from black through grey to white. I'd love to see pics when you do it.

For a little guy, I would likely only increase to row 5 at the most.

A question below in bold, italics about when to begin using the 6.5mm hook:

...Work evenly in hdc and FPdc stitches until you are ready to add in the white and work towards the brim. the first white rows are flat - they just provide a base for the upturned brim.

I worked the following colours and increased until row 7.

3 rows of Midnight navy.

3 rows of navy,

4 rows of royal blue,

6 rows of light blue

Darski, is this where I begin to use the 6.5mm hook?

When you start with the white, work 2 rows of DC evenly

begin brim... work FPsc in 10, 2fpdc in next around hat and join. Fudge to make it work as you want. I just like a bit of extra room for the puffy brim portion.

Or is this where I begin to use the 6.5mm hook?

add in an extra strand of white yarn and work evenly in hdc for 3 rows.

I am desperaetly trying to use up yarn. I have an internet radio program playing and I am moving my hook as fast as I can. :wlol

My yahoo mail tells me when I get a message and the location... just hit refresh

Archived