January Icicles Scarf and hat notes

darski

This scarf is for the January edition of the Scarves of 2009 CAL. I used WW yarn and a 5.5mm hook

Colours: White, Light Blue, Royal Blue, Navy Blue and Midnight Navy Blue.

This scarf uses the Foundation Double Crochet technique for the 1st row.

. This scarf is worked lengthwise.

post-4896-0-45402000-1452494894_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-86587400-1452494895_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-22347000-1452494897_thumb.jpg

Row one with white...

Ch 20 and slip stitch back along the chain. ch 3 and work FDC for as many stitches as you want your scarf to be in length, ch 20 and work sl st back over the ch stitches. Break off white and tidy all ends.

Row 2 with Light Blue. ch 20 and sl st back along each ch, work DC in each dc from row one, ch 20 and work sl st back over the ch stitches. Break off and tidy all ends.

Repeat Row 2 for as many colours as you wish to use and tidy the ends as you go along.

I'll go looking for the notes I have for the matching hat and post whatever info I have for that.

General notes for making the hat...

ch 4 and join with sl st
Row 1: ch 2, 8 hdc in ring (counts as 9 hdc)

Row 2: hdc in every hdc and work a FPdc around each stitch as well. (the Post stitches are your increases.

Row 3 and every increase row hdc in every hdc and in the top of the FPdc. FPdc around FPdc. again the post stitches are your increases

Continue as for row three until you no longer want any increases.

Work evenly in hdc and FPdc stitches until you are ready to add in the white and work towards the brim. the first white rows are flat - they just provide a base for the upturned brim.

I worked the following colours and increased until row 7.
3 rows of Midnight navy.
3 rows of navy,
4 rows of royal blue,
6 rows of light blue

When you start with the white, work 2 rows of DC evenly
begin brim... work FPsc in 10, 2fpdc in next around hat and join. Fudge to make it work as you want. I just like a bit of extra room for the puffy brim portion.

add in an extra strand of white yarn and work evenly in hdc for 3 rows.

With whichever trim colour you would like work in a random pattern of sc and Long Sc around the brim. Instructions here for long SC

These instructions are very general. Please ask if something need (a lot) more explanation. :think

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is so pretty!!! I've got to make a set. I'd also like to thank you Darski for all of your Dora patterns. My daughter loved them for her birthday and my niece loved them for her Christmas gift! Keep up the great work! Have a very happy New Year!!!:party

Hi Darski:

Thats a awesome set... I've written the directions so I can make one this week..

I love it... I do hop you find the hat instructions too .. I'd love to make a set...

hugs and thanks bunches for this great idea and CAL..

I'm happy to be part of it...

hugs

Lillibet

This is so pretty! I would love to try to make it! I have not really croheted in years. This may sound like a silly question, but what is an FDC? The only stitches I was ever taught were the basics. Singles, doubles, half doubles, and so on. Thanks for your time.

:clap What a lovely pattern! I really like how you make the "fringe" as you go along.

This is so pretty! I would love to try to make it! I have not really croheted in years. This may sound like a silly question' date=' but what is an FDC? The only stitches I was ever taught were the basics. Singles, doubles, half doubles, and so on. Thanks for your time.[/quote']

Foundation Double Crochet. You can make a row of dc's without having to work into a long chain. Darski put a link in her first post to a site with a tutorial if you want to learn. (It's a great technique)

That is a great looking scarf. I like the hat a lot too. I hope you can find your notes on that too.

I put my notes in the original post. they are rather general in nature but if you have made a hat, they should be readable :think ... no really :rofl

I put my notes in the original post. they are rather general in nature but if you have made a hat, they should be readable :think ... no really :rofl

:blush I guess I must've been blind as a bat when I read the post, but I swear I only saw the scarf pattern.......

Thanks.

I did post the general information on how to make the hat in the first post.

I will try to answer any questions you may have but I did not take careful notes for the hat; the scarf was my focus for the CAL.

And thank you to everyone for the generous comments. Y'all are just too kind.

Archived