Snowflake Mondays 2009

marikamum

I failed at this last year :O( things got too busy, so I'm going to give it another try this year, if it's ok with you all?

:hi and :welcome Sheryl... I will add one condition for you - you must banish the word fail from your vocabulary in respect to this CAL.

Take me for an example: I was a raging success at this CAL last year - I just didn't manage to do every snowflake yet ;):hook

Can I join and just scoop up some of the 2+ inches of fresh snow on our deck?

If that's how you want to play it, sure :lol:flake:snow

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made my first TWO snowflakes this past week. The first one was from an old Leisure Arts booklet, no. 255, Crocheted Snowflakes and Angels. The second was gardeners snowflake from this CAL, which I did in size 10 thread with a size 7 hook.

Here they are.

flake1flake2.jpg

I used fabric stiffener to block them, but probably won't again. It left too much of the clear "residue"....I will probably just spray starch the rest that I make.

I would like to join also.I printed all the snowflakes from last year.I wanted to do my tree all in snowflakes and snowballs next year,its is a 7 1/2` tree.lol Iam going to work on the flakes from last year and do this year also.My daughter thinks that I can do this because I am retired now.LOL Thank you for posting these snowflakes.I am going to have fun.

my new years resolution is to do as many cals and swaps that i can this year so as to keep myself very busy so i dont think on how much i miss my kids and grandkids. besides this should be really fun. you all are great people in this site.:hug

I would like to join in on this CAL. I like the idea of CrochetinMama of devoting one day to snowflakes. I will be participating in two other CALs so that way maybe I can keep up. And the list from 2008 is wonderful to have. Thank you.

I'd like to join this CAL. Perhaps the size of these cute guys will keep me working with thread throughout the year.

th_Picture001.jpg

I used size 10 thread, and my only susan bates steel, size 5. It's just a little over 2". I added a little loop to it for hanging.

Can I join and just scoop up some of the 2+ inches of fresh snow on our deck?

Absolutely! That will give you thousands right off the bat. :lol :lol :lol

I made my first TWO snowflakes this past week. The first one was from an old Leisure Arts booklet, no. 255, Crocheted Snowflakes and Angels. The second was gardeners snowflake from this CAL, which I did in size 10 thread with a size 7 hook.

Here they are.

flake1flake2.jpg

I used fabric stiffener to block them, but probably won't again. It left too much of the clear "residue"....I will probably just spray starch the rest that I make.

Very pretty!

I did the first snowflake. it took 20 min. to do. heres a pic.

technicolorafghan.jpg

Very nice! What thread did you use? I like the icy blue look of it.

We're off to a great start already. Welcome to all of you who have joined up new this year! :welcome We're always glad of the company. I made over 52 snowflakes last year, just not all of the ones posted. I did multiples of those I really liked. :lol :lol :lol

Absolutely! That will give you thousands right off the bat. :lol :lol :lol

Very pretty!

Very nice! What thread did you use? I like the icy blue look of it.

We're off to a great start already. Welcome to all of you who have joined up new this year! :welcome We're always glad of the company. I made over 52 snowflakes last year, just not all of the ones posted. I did multiples of those I really liked. :lol :lol :lol

I used aunt lydias size 5 silver and metalic thread. thank you by the way.

Here they are.

flake1flake2.jpg

Gorgeous!

As a side note, you will need to experiment with stiffening for yourself, but I find that spray starch would probably work well on Gardener's Flake, as it is a denser pattern with a fair amount of inherent structure - the larger flake with the long open chain areas might end up still a bit floppy with spray starch (at least the kind available here in Oz :lol).

I did the first snowflake. it took 20 min. to do. heres a pic.

technicolorafghan.jpg

Lovely.

I think your picture size may exceed site guidelines, though... I see you are on photobucket. If you click the box below the photo in your album to select it, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Generate HTML and IMG codes" button in the right corner, then select the middle selection on that page (something like clickable thumbnails for bulletin boards) and copy that code and insert it in your post, you will have a clickable thumbnail in your post (small in the post, but folks can click it and go to your full-size photo in your album...) I LOVE clickable pics :manyheart.

Regards,

I am off to a good start on this year's snowflakes. I did 3 of this week's on Monday for a change. :hook I think that may be the first time I've actually done it on Monday. :think I'm going to try to keep that going.

I use Knit-Cro-Sheen size 10 white thread that is wrapped with metallic silver. I find that this gives most of the flakes enough extra stiffening that spray starch works very well to give them the rest of the stiffening that they need. Hobby Lobby special ordered me a dozen balls of it about two years about and I've gone through about half of it making assorted Christmas ornaments, mostly angels and snowflakes.

ACK! How great is this? So much traffic, I am afraid I may miss some folks in replying - if I did not reply to anyone, please don't be offended, I may have missed out, but it is not from lack of welcome for you or appreciation of your work :manyheart...

I would like to join in on this CAL. I like the idea of CrochetinMama of devoting one day to snowflakes. I will be participating in two other CALs so that way maybe I can keep up. And the list from 2008 is wonderful to have. Thank you.

I would like to join also.I printed all the snowflakes from last year.I wanted to do my tree all in snowflakes and snowballs next year,its is a 7 1/2` tree.lol Iam going to work on the flakes from last year and do this year also.My daughter thinks that I can do this because I am retired now.LOL Thank you for posting these snowflakes.I am going to have fun.

:yay Welcome, we will enjoy having you, too!

my new years resolution is to do as many cals and swaps that i can this year so as to keep myself very busy so i dont think on how much i miss my kids and grandkids. besides this should be really fun. you all are great people in this site.:hug

:hug Thanks. It takes one to know one, I think :yes

I want to participate on this one ! Count me in !!!!

:welcome

th_DSC04563.jpg

I used my Altin Basak silver metallic thread - it is about equivalent to a size 30 - with a size 11 hook

I love the metallic thread. That's beautiful!

Thank you. I am partial to this thread myself. Nancy has used some metallic thread which gave her problems with the metallic wrap breaking and such (on an angel wallhanging we both did), but I have to say this particular thread works beautifully and I haven;t had any problems. I do wish it came in a thicker size, though, because sometimes I would like a larger flake in it... I'll have to do some research for that :lol

I'd like to join this CAL. Perhaps the size of these cute guys will keep me working with thread throughout the year.

:hi Glad to have you! They do get to be rather addictive :lol

th_Picture001.jpg

I used size 10 thread, and my only susan bates steel, size 5. It's just a little over 2". I added a little loop to it for hanging.

Beautiful... I love the loop :)

065-1.jpg

not a great picture and it isn't blocked yet.

But a beautiful flake. Glad to have you back this year :D

Yay I did it!

Aunt Lydia 30

Size 8 1.4mm hook

3170602889_4185b82179_m.jpg

snowflake monday 1

:yay Yay! You did! (and beautifully, too!)

Just a reminder that, while I will post the weekly flake in a post in the thread, it will also get added to the list which will be maintained in Post 1 on the first page of the thread.

I thought that I'd try doing the links with the name of the flake rather than just the bare url/address like we had last year. Please let me know if you have a preference one way or the other - this CAL belongs to all of us, so I want it to reflect the main preferences as much as possible.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Regards,

Marika

I am off to a good start on this year's snowflakes. I did 3 of this week's on Monday for a change. :hook I think that may be the first time I've actually done it on Monday. :think I'm going to try to keep that going.

I use Knit-Cro-Sheen size 10 white thread that is wrapped with metallic silver. I find that this gives most of the flakes enough extra stiffening that spray starch works very well to give them the rest of the stiffening that they need. Hobby Lobby special ordered me a dozen balls of it about two years about and I've gone through about half of it making assorted Christmas ornaments, mostly angels and snowflakes.

:yay Go, Linda! :cheer

I like the metallic wrapped thread for the same reason :lol (and the sparkle of course :mdust) - though there is something about the pure white flakes :sigh so many flake options, so little time :P.

Thanks! You'll do just fine! I'm sure you'll get to use that #10. It's just a tension adjustment. I've been working with thread a long time. (That mean's Cosmo must be an Old Fairy!) :mdust:mdust:mdust:grandma:mdust:mdust:mdust

And I gladly answer to any of those names.

Wanda (Marika) and I decided last year that if we were going to be fairies - as in Fairy Godmothers here at crochetville - we wanted to be Cosmo and Wanda instead. Actually I wanted to be Cosmo because Wanda works way too hard! :lol

It's from the "Fairly Odd Parents" cartoon - Wanda has little ones of her own at home and I have great nieces here everyday. We watch cartoons with lunch.

If you check out Marika's avatar you'll see a picture of Wanda. She's being very sweet about using that picture. It's the birthday gift I sent her. But that's Wanda, :manyheart.

Happy Monday:flake,

:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire:fire :fire:fire:fire:fire (can't get much warmer!) regards,

:mdust:mdust:mdust:mdust:mdust Cosmo :mdust:mdust:mdust:mdust:mdust

Thanks for explaining!!

Things are still kind of in a mess from Christmas so I haven't located the directions for the 3 snowflakes I dreamed up early last year. I did, however, sit down and dream up a new snowflake for 2009. It's listed in the free original crochet pattern section of Crochetville under Quick & Easy Snowflake - 2009. It's littler than most of my snowflakes having only 3 rounds. It's about 3 inches from point tip to point tip. I used size 10 thread and a size 7 steel crochet hook.

DCP_1550.jpg

Very nice!

I have some of that thread. (I actually made a tiny little evening bag out of it about 10 years ago!)If I ever get to where I can use size 10 thread again, I'd like to use it for snowflakes.

All the finished flakes look really great. I'm already anxious for next Monday!

Archived