How Do I Spin Human Hair?

Jempast

You have to card it with another fiber like wool or something.

Are you sure your husband wasn't joking, though? lol

After my husband mentioned the scarf made from my hair I asked him if he was joking and he was not joking. He even took the hair I removed from my hair brush & put it in a zip lock bag!

This isn't really strange at all. In the USA history, many families collected hair of their members. Traditionally it was spun and, using tatting or crochet, made into flowers and used as embellishments for a family wall hanging.

It was not carded with anything else for this type of process. However, if you and your husband want to make a scarf, I would recommend combining with another fiber to spin

This isn't really strange at all. In the USA history, many families collected hair of their members. Traditionally it was spun and, using tatting or crochet, made into flowers and used as embellishments for a family wall hanging.

If only they made History Class this interesting!

I actually was wondering this myself as I waste so much hair combing it. :P

I think this creeps me out almost as much as making things from cat or dog hair. :sorry

I'm curious how this would be any creepier than using hair from sheep or other animals?

I actually was wondering this myself as I waste so much hair combing it. :P

I'm curious how this would be any creepier than using hair from sheep or other animals?

Ditto here... If I ever learn to spin, it'd be nice to know how to use all this free fiber I give off.

And I've never understood why people seem to think of human hair as gross. It's not considered gross when it's on my head, why's it any different in a little pile in my hand? :think

Some people are just not comfortable with anything biological. I've given up trying to understand them.

As we move away from having to deal with the sometimes unpleasant activities that living requires.. delegating said activities to certain professions.... people become more squeamish and start thinking that perfectly normal things are "gross".

I am so thankful I had part of my childhood on a farm. While I don't particularly care to participate in some of the farming activities.. I'm not bothered by the things that MUST be done.

But back to hair.. If the original poster comes up with information, I hope she will post it. As I'm aging, my hair is falling out like crazy and it would be nice to be able to do something with all this bounty. Although I doubt my dh would wear a scarf of my hair.. LOL.. even as much as he loves me.

Ditto here... If I ever learn to spin, it'd be nice to know how to use all this free fiber I give off.

But back to hair.. If the original poster comes up with information, I hope she will post it. As I'm aging, my hair is falling out like crazy and it would be nice to be able to do something with all this bounty. Although I doubt my dh would wear a scarf of my hair.. LOL.. even as much as he loves me.

The question is...how would we dye it?? Would we need hair color kits? :lol :lol

I have to admit.....it's definitely crossed my mind to spin dog hair, as my doggy has long hair, and is considered hypoallergenic. When he goes for a big haircut, there's always a pile of pretty hair that seems a waste to toss out..... but I've never thought of spinning my own hair! I'd love to see your scarf if you make one! :yarn

If you took History of Interior Design in college - or was it History of Textiles ??, you would have seen slides of objects from the Victorian era made from human hair. :)

My dad has a pocket watch where the chain is made from human hair, he told me it's from the Victorian era and that it was made from one of my family members' hair, I forget whose tho. Very interesting :think

• 6 months later...
My dad has a pocket watch where the chain is made from human hair, he told me it's from the Victorian era and that it was made from one of my family members' hair, I forget whose tho. Very interesting :think

A friend of my uncle has a watch chain of my hair.

I was at Uncle's combing out my hair and mentioned i was having it cut intoa pixie in a few days, and he asked If he could have a strand of it, since it was coming off anyway.

Aparently, where he comes from, a little girl "memento" is a good charm against some evil. Don;t remember much, just that he's always been very superstitious and I thought it was funny, so i agreed. Uncle braided a littlwe strand really tight, tied it at the top and bottom and snipped it off.

Sometimes I see his friend's watch and have to giggle a bit.

• 5 months later...

In Japan they make a calligraphy brush out of the baby's first haircut. I think it would be neat to make stuff out of human hair as long as it's washed properly.

I would think younger age hair..ie baby hair would be soft and ok as a scarf or something..just seems adult hair for the most part would be coarser and not as comfortable..thinking ends.. unless it was all split ends :D: crack me up

Interesting concept... I have never thought of using hair to crochet with! I'm not sure what all would be good to make from it, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless. I bet you will have the only scarf around that has to be shampooed rather than washed! :D

Archived