Crocheting is for...

Wiste

Crocheting is for...  

400 members have voted

1. 1. Crocheting is for...

• pretty things
    • practical things
    • Everything!

I came up with a way to hold on my baby daughters glasses. I get stopped by fellow crocheters all of the time asking me where I got it. I tell them that I made it up and tell them how to do it for their loved ones.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hubby said this to me... the other day when i told him i found patterns to crochet socks.

"im notwearing Crochetd socks" i told him how the heck do u think socks r made. they are just done by machines. way bck when how the heck do u think they were made

Hubby has a pet peeve.. with socks.. he thinks they should only be worn if you have shoes on.. and it just drives him insane if me or the kids wear socks when were cold.. its like he can't keep from being upset by the fact we have socks on so we end up removing them beacuse it just bugs him so bad to where he can't stand to look at our feet... so i told him I'd crochet "slippers" hes ok with slippers just socks? dunno he's strange.

So i say why buy slippers when i can make em.. Hubby thinks i'm very talented thou. he thinks i could make alot at craft fairs n flea markets with everyting i can do (i can do lots more then crochet) i love to say homemade is awalsy best

• 1 month later...

:lol:lol:lol I always at least a few chuckles out of the 'ville. I voted everything, although my favorites are pretty things. Someone out there, on p 1 or 2 wrote something about some things being too pretty to use. Not So!!:eek If it gets dirty, wash it; if it gets a hole, mend it; if it's really wrecked -- crochet a new one!! Beautiful things are meant to be used. My grandma is one of those people who keeps all her good stuff in bags and boxes, carefully packed away. She wears the same two ugly pairs of stretch pants and two ugly sweatshirts all the time. I made her an angora shawl in her favorite color, and she packed it away because it was "Too pretty to use". She doesn't have many years left, so what is she saving it for? Her funeral???!!!!

My most recent thing I made on a whim was a hat and scarf out of this really beautiful black and red mohair. It started getting cold, and I have short hair now so my neck and ears get cold, and I like to walk at the beach, where it is always windy, so 50 feels like 20. I wanted to walk in the afternoon, so made hat and scarf in the morning! Driving to the mall, parking, and searching the stores until I found something I liked would have taken longer!

Everything...whether it is for me or family. My sisters come to me often with something they see in a mag or something and ask if maybe I could come up with a pattern to make something similar. My DH even gets in on it, when we go to festivals and walk around the craft booths and he sees something neat, ( mostly sports or something rustic ), he looks at me and whispers, "you could just make that couldn't you?" :lol Plus I think it means more when it is made personally, and I have to keep my hands busy when I am sitting.:crocheting

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:lol:lol:lol it was "Too pretty to use". She doesn't have many years left, so what is she saving it for? Her funeral???!!!!

quote]

My grandmother (and her unexpected death early this year) taught me that you never know what the future is going to hold and that every day is a special occasion.

Use the good china, wear the nice dress, sit on the furniture. Enjoy today.

• 5 weeks later...

My son plays the tin whistle and I had to replace it in regular intervals because it kept on being dented in his bag all the time and wouldn't sound right anymore. So I made him a cover out of the inner tube of a roll of paper towel and just crocheted around it.

I also made myself a little phone charm out of thread because DH and me have the same mobile phone, it's easier to keep them apart that way.

I buy cheap winter hats for the boys and put a crochet applique on to make them look individual.

All in all I crochet for both pretty and practical. The more the merrier.

post-33364-135897495606_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I voted for everything. Though most of the stuff isn't doesn't fall in any category. Ha. I have visions of making both pretty and practical but that's a someday in the future thing.

• 3 weeks later...

My bf had a very nasty accident with a surface grinder and his finger. Because his hands ar so big, we couldn't find anything to go over the bandage to keep it on and clean. So I crocheted him a couple of of finger "gloves" that tied around his wrist.

Problem solved - and they were washable.

I choose the everything. I make slippers and a little jacket and all kinds of things for my daughter she love the b ed doll i made her the most

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that it is for whatever I'm inspired to create at the time I'm creating it if I don't want to knit it. Now that I knit I seem to be challenging myself to try out new things over there more often than crochet. Since I've been crocheting longer I will always fall back to my crochet if I get bored or frustrated with my knitting. But I'm currently enjoying both forms. I just can do more with my crochet for the moment. I've only been knitting for the last 2yrs of my life & I've been crocheting for the last 43yrs of my life so you figure out which I'm better at doing.

i made a little mouth wiper out of some organic cotton...it's about 4" x 4"...i use it to wipe my mouth after i brush my teeth when there are no paper towels in the rest rooms....sounds silly but it's cool...

• 2 weeks later...

I voted everything. I :crocheting all kinds of stuff, even "weird" (according to my friends) things. I make pins for the different holidays. I didn't know what to make next, so I made :) pins. Just a small circle, embroidered mouth and googly eyes. Over the years I've designed many unique afghans/toys. I say who cares if it's useful or pretty , just keep on :crocheting.

Ellie 13

I collect the yarn scraps and sometimes use them to stuff small items, or I leave them out in the spring with the dryer lint for the birds. (Bright red yarn in nests make the birds easy to watch.)...

What a great idea! I bet you wind up with some very colorful bird nests!

I vote "everything" too. I have made afghans, hats, scarves, wearables, hot pads, towel toppers, pillows, toys, totes, even Ninja Turtle masks! Some for practicality, some for pretty, and some just for fun. Crochet can do it all!

And of course everyone needs a pair of crochet slippers! "Just put on socks," indeed! :eek LOL! :lol

I have to say, anything can be made from crochet. I also enjoy working with different fibers including tulle, rope, plastic, long pieces of tall grass and anything else that can be looped and pulled with a crochet hook. It's fun to experiment with different fibers and see what you come up with. It can also be quite frustrating. But when it comes to crochet, not many things are off limits in my book:artist

Please check out my blog:yes

Teresa

• 3 weeks later...

Everything; it's also something "to get me out of tight spots." The other day I didn't remember a friend's birthday until the night before, so I gave her a scarf (her colors) I had made for me but hadn't worn yet. I crocheted a birthday cake with candle, flame, icing, flowers, and leaves for another friend. OK, he can't eat it (he's diabetic, anyway), but it's calorie and sugar free! :gift

Yeah, I am an everything person too. I think the 'ghans I have made are both practical and beautiful :D

I have a crocheted 'ghan from my great grandma, it beautiful pure white, maybe you could call it a sampler, then with big red roses crossed stiched in the corners. she made it for an everyday thing, some to use on your bed or couch, but it was what inspired me to learn crochet many years later.

• 4 weeks later...

About 4 years ago, I needed a window sill covering as part of a Christmas display. I used Christmas yarn to weave a fancy crocheted pattern. Took very little time and was exactly what the window needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am always putting together something to use up the bits of yarn left from larger projects. I crocheted orange and green stems over throw away cd discs. Atttached a magnet to the back and am using it to hang up gandsons pictures in October. Actually made the others into coasters for the monthe of October.

Well, just a few days ago I crocheted a little "cup" out of my scrap yarn. It is a 'scrappie' catcher.

I used the bottom of an empty shampoo bottle as the main cup and crocheted a cover for it. It solves the poblem of scrappies on the sofa, coffee table, floor quite nicely.

Archived