Crocheting is for...

Wiste

Crocheting is for...  

400 members have voted

1. 1. Crocheting is for...

• pretty things
    • practical things
    • Everything!

My boyfriend saw me crocheting a pair of slippers this weekend and asked me why. He laughed when I told him my feet were cold and asked why I didn't just put on some socks. I'm curious if other people go the "I can just make that" route. If you're an "everything" what kind of crochet solutions have you come up with to solve a problem?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted everything. A couple years ago I crocheted a lacy cardy for DD to go over her spring dress...she didn't have one and the days were stubbornly chilly. I couldn't find the fingerless gloves pattern I had in mind, so I created one, b/c my coat is too short on the wrists when I'm shovelling the mountains of snow we had. I've whipped up slippers for DD or DS, rather than go shopping for them (ditto for hats). Crochet is definitely for pretty stuff too though--doilies, teddybears, summer tops, sweaters, shawls....:D

Well, just a few days ago I crocheted a little "cup" out of my scrap yarn. It is a 'scrappie' catcher.

I used the bottom of an empty shampoo bottle as the main cup and crocheted a cover for it. It solves the poblem of scrappies on the sofa, coffee table, floor quite nicely.

Well, just a few days ago I crocheted a little "cup" out of my scrap yarn. It is a 'scrappie' catcher.

I used the bottom of an empty shampoo bottle as the main cup and crocheted a cover for it. It solves the poblem of scrappies on the sofa, coffee table, floor quite nicely.

That's a great idea. I started putting them in a plastic zip lock bag and now it's so full it explodes every time I undo the zipper. I'm not sure what to do with them though. I keep holding on to them thinking I'll figure out something to do with them besides tossing them out.

Many moons ago, I crocheted a cover for the brick step of my fireplace. My kids used to like to sit on the bricks, but I was afraid that they would get hurt on the ruff ends of the brick, so I made a long and wide scarf like thingy to cover up the rough brick. It worked well. It sure beat having to go to the store to buy expensive rugs to use.

I collect the yarn scraps and sometimes use them to stuff small items, or I leave them out in the spring with the dryer lint for the birds. (Bright red yarn in nests make the birds easy to watch.)

And I use crochet for everything - I make thread items for me grandmother who remembers her own grandmother making antimassacars. I have crocheted a tool belt for my son who loves to play at building. I bought a cone of crochet cotton cheap to make dishcloths and potholders for my new household, and I am going to try an apron if I can find more cones.

I love pretty things, but I am such a practical person that half the time I find myself making something purely because it is useful. What really gets me going, is when something practical is beautifull as well. :D

I make afghans mostly and I have made a couple that were two pretty to use. Or so I was told. My Mom when she was alive had one of those kind hanging from a quilt rack behind her couch and Daddy got into trouble once for tring to use it when he took a nap.

I also do lapghans. Those come in real handy. I have made hats and scarfs too. I plan to make all of Christmas for 2009 some is pretty and some is practical and pretty. lol

That's a great idea. I started putting them in a plastic zip lock bag and now it's so full it explodes every time I undo the zipper. I'm not sure what to do with them though. I keep holding on to them thinking I'll figure out something to do with them besides tossing them out.

Use the scraps to stuff whatever you make that needs stuffing!!!:hook

Jenny, yarn bits for birds to use a very nice idea!

I've mostly done things to keep folks warm, but there are a few things that are primarily for beauty alone, and I hope the practical things give loveliness as well. Bookmarks, attempts at doilies. Mostly I've done lap robes, throws, and a few scarves. Tissue totes are one of those things that cover both areas, place mats, too.

Excuse me, but my "make it yourself" project was knitted, but I suppose crochet could be used...will have to think how to adapt the pattern for crochet. Anyway what I made were mittens for my dining chair legs so the legs wouldn't scratch our new flooring when the chairs were slid back and forth under the table. The pattern was adapted/adjusted from a knitted fingerless mittens pattern.

Beverly

One of the more practical skills I have is my crocheting. Need loops for a broom so it can hang off of a hook better, crochet the loops...need pulls for over head lamps? I've crocheted them. Need socks? I can make them (and now I exclusively wear the socks I crochet...) Need to keep warm? Make a sweater or an afghan or a shawl...Need new mittens? I made myself a new pair on Christmas Day...need dish scrubbers? I've made them for my dad...a friend had a new baby? Made a pair of booties...and the list goes on and on and on...from the practical to pretty and beyond...

It's what I do, it's part of who I am...I'm never had someone laugh at me for crocheting myself a pair of socks to keep my feet warm...

Most people I know that know that I crochet admire my skill...I got stopped 3 times in a local Walmart because of the crocheted jacket I was wearing...one of them was a guy in his 70's that thought it was great that someone was still doing that with yarn...

Anything and everything!!!

Once saw a saying, "give me a hook and some yarn and I'll crochet you a home"

I think it was a foreign commercial...

Oh I'm so stealing that quote and gonna make a sign to hang in my home...

Excuse me, but my "make it yourself" project was knitted, but I suppose crochet could be used...will have to think how to adapt the pattern for crochet. Anyway what I made were mittens for my dining chair legs so the legs wouldn't scratch our new flooring when the chairs were slid back and forth under the table. The pattern was adapted/adjusted from a knitted fingerless mittens pattern.

Beverly

Oh way awesome! I made my own skillet handle covers with crochet and honestly they are used each and every single day and I just love them and have made several for friends and family...same concept...and I'm filing your idea away for future use...

EVERYTHING! I was recently at jury duty and brought some yarn and a couple of hooks. When I reached for my cell phone (in one of those cases that hooks to your belt), I noticed the case was nearing the end of it's life, so I started crocheting a case for it. Besides being practical, it started a few conversations, which made the time pass quicker.

I voted for "everything!" :D Though I do lean more toward making practical things to use or keep warm, I like to think that my practical things are also pretty. ;) I made a ton of ornaments this year, which could hardly be called practical, but they sure were beautiful and fun to make.

everything because that makes the most since... if you go for pretty then your too dull and not very creative.. practical you can just forget it being that. When it comes to making clothes you want to get creative otherwise it wouldn't be an exciting thing to do.

athen

Archived