Lace Patterns

mamaoso

Leftover Laceweight Fern Lace Scarf

Petra Lace Scarf

Seaweed and Shells Scarf

I know nothing about lace patterns and may be offering ones too difficult for a beginning lace knitter like me. I just thought these (and a ton more) were pretty. They can always go into a "someday" file, LOL.

I hate being the only one to keep sticking my oar in but here is a pretty pattern from Knit Picks which has both written directions and a chart: Candle Flame Shawl and Scarf. Especially for us lace beginners that might be helpful. Oddly I have two hanks of the lovely Shimmer yarn in Turquoise Splendor color — not enough for the shawl but too much for the scarf. Wouldn't you know?

Oh, and the directions are in the PDF at the bottom of the page.

That is a very pretty shawl..:yes. I would love to make things with wool but I break out when I wear wool and more when I knit with it. So most of my knitting and crocheting is done in cotton or blended with something other than wool..:( I have some Bernat baby sparkle and some Paton Grace enough to make the shawl..:think

Ahh, some pretty ones there,too..

I thought that we could start a thread next week and discuss which pattern we would like to do for the KAL. And start a KAL maybe middle of January or first of Febuary?

I'm working (still, 9 months later!) on Alice's Cheshire Cat Stole right now, and I woulnd't consider it for beginners. Yes, there are both written instructions and a chart, but there are a lot of yarn overs to keep track of, and I have made several mistakes in mine by slipping one of these accidentally off my needle. And with the thin yarn (I'm using Rowan Kidsilk Haze), it's far more difficult than the pattern looks.

The Cat Paw scarf is on my list of want-to-do's, and is also much more narrow (another plus for lace newbies!). I picked it up to make a friend for Christmas this year, but didn't have appropriate yarn (it looked terrible in the yarn I had in my stash), so it's on the backburner again.

As a lace newbie struggling though her first projects, a long stole or shawl, as gorgeous and inspiring as they are, are not what I would begin with. Or what I will select (if we have several options) for this lace KAL. But, everyone's different, and what is overwhelming for my skills may just be challenging to someone else.

As we say in dog training, we want to set ourselves up for success, not for failure! :cheer Patty

Patty, I've been wondering if even the ones I contributed are suitable for beginners, pretty though they are. I looked at a thread on Knitters' Review where someone asked about beginning lace knitting. The suggestions from "lace pros" were Knitty's Branching Out, any of the relatively simple fan and feather patterns like the lace tutorial Clara Parkes has here, or any pattern which is fairly simple and repetitive. They also suggest choosing a pattern which has only purls on the reverse pattern instead of more YOs, etc. Like you I don't want to get in way over my head. :eek

Nervous here, I think.

Patty, I've been wondering if even the ones I contributed are suitable for beginners, pretty though they are. I looked at a thread on Knitters' Review where someone asked about beginning lace knitting. The suggestions from "lace pros" were Knitty's Branching Out, any of the relatively simple fan and feather patterns like the lace tutorial Clara Parkes has here, or any pattern which is fairly simple and repetitive. They also suggest choosing a pattern which has only purls on the reverse pattern instead of more YOs, etc. Like you I don't want to get in way over my head. :eek

Nervous here, I think.

The Easy Lace Scarf pattern that is with the Clara Parkes Tutorial is nice one to start with. Most of the patterns that are posted are purl or knit on one side.

I don't even like doing yo's and ssk's on both sides. (shivering)

Just remember lifelines and markers are our friends with Lace knitting.

The Cheshire Cat stole also has purls on the WS. Those aren't the rows I have problems with! :lol I've looked some up on Ravelry to see what other posters have said about their patterns, and will continue to do so. I know a lot of people over there have made Branching Out, so there should be lots of comments (that's my favorite part of Ravelry, being able to look a pattern up and see what comments are posted and what other yarns it was made in). I'll start keeping a running tab of the general consensus of the patterns, and maybe anyone else who's a member over there can do the same. The skill level the designer chooses and the way real knitters of different levels experience the pattern can be very different sometimes.

As for my Delta shawl, still in the bag after 2 years, the problem there is understanding the chart. I thought I was increasing correctly, but wound up with a very wide and short shawl! :P So if the more experienced lace knitters among us don't mind us bugging them with questions...

I don't want to make anyone nervous! I found crocheting with thread easy. I found knitting with lace-weight yarn hard. It might just be me, remember.

Patty

I know one thing: whatever we choose I will work out a few repeats in scrap yarns before I tackle it in my "real" yarn. ;) I guess one advantage to Branching Out is that it was specifically designed for lace beginners, as was Clara's Easy Lace Scarf. Maybe our list to choose from should be labeled "Easy", LOL.

I don't have cold feet at all, but I also don't want to get in way over my head. :help

I tried "Branching Out" a while back , but kept messing it up , I think I have a little more lace experience now :think I could give it a try again :yes
You, too? Actually, I can't remember if I tried Branching Out but I did mess up Dayflower Scarf more than once. (It's the first entry on this Google page.) I think it's supposed to be for beginners, too. I should say that I did make a lovely stole designed by Anne Hanson, Hypoteneuse, and also bought her Ostrich Feathers and had worked out the pattern but chickened out with the laceweight. I KNOW I can do this even if it takes a year, LOL.

When I started out doing Lace Knitting I tried cobweb weight yarn.. Big mistake.. I had to start out using fingerweight yarn. I could do the same pattern that I was messing up with the cobweb using the finger or sock weight yarn..

So I learned I could do Lace knitting just not with the Laceweight yarn...

Now I can knit with the cobweb with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I went back through these again after we mentioned on the Branching Out KAL that we might want to do another lace knit-along. There are so many pretty patterns I'm not sure I could choose. I find myself drawn to the leafy ones over and over so probably any of those would work. As would any number of others. Arrrggh... too much loveliness!

• 2 weeks later...

mamaoso, I've been looking at patterns at elann and found a few more pretty, relatively simple looking patterns to add to our "private collection", LOL. There are a bunch more on the site, but I thought these looked particularly simple for lace newbies. Pretty, too. Oh, and often you can find another version of this in a different yarn and picture on elann's free patterns listing.

Sun Ray Shawl

Luna Moth Shawl

Flowers, Vines and Hearts Shawl

Silken Smoke (Ring)

Voyager Lace Stole

Thanks for all the great links.

I have been practising my knitting and am looking forward to being able to make some of these patterns. In the meantime, I enjoy looking at the possibilities.

Hello, Gardener! We would love to have you join us in a KAL sometime — although I really don't know how many we will ultimately do beyond the February one. I had to practice my knitting for a while before I could handle even simple lace. It sounds crazy but I think maybe crocheting doilys with charts helped me be better able to manage a little lace. :shrug

Hello, Gardener! We would love to have you join us in a KAL sometime — although I really don't know how many we will ultimately do beyond the February one. I had to practice my knitting for a while before I could handle even simple lace. It sounds crazy but I think maybe crocheting doilys with charts helped me be better able to manage a little lace. :shrug

I don't think I'm quite ready for a KAL yet, but I can dream. I know how to knit and purl and slip stitches and increase and decrease, but I'm terribly slow, and quite clumsy.

My mom is an expert knitter, as were both my grandmothers, and I hope to be as good at it as them someday. (I am hoping some sort of genetic tendency to being a good knitter would show up soon!!)

I do know how to read and work from a crochet chart, but I know for sure I'm not ready for lace!!

Archived