New Year's Eve CAL?

darski

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our tradition is animals that don't scratch backwards. So, this year mom and I had shrimp and crab. We used to do fondue but with only two it's not really worth it.

Okay you must elaborate on this one, are you Vegan by chance? Or is it a New Year's supestition type thing?

Good night everyone !!!! Hubby's snoring is reminding me how tired I really am, plus the glass of wine is making me sleepy. Keep warm, sleep well and have a wonderful New Year's Day with your loved ones. Talk to some of you "next year" hahahaaa

Tia: I will be "seeing" you at the weight loss afghan site. I'm hoping to make the "braindead afghan"... hope I lose enough weight so I can get it completed this year .. hahahaaa

Amy/Roper, it's an Old World superstition that my Great Grandmother Welker brought with her from Eastern Europe. The ironic thing is that towards the end of her life (may she be in peace) she would only eat pork - even on NYE. Gotta Love her.

FootballMom: OMG.... I lived on LI for 50 years and know the hamburger stand VERY WELL. I lived up by Seaman Neck Road and Jerusalem Ave - just off the entrance to Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway. Went to McArthur High in Levittown. Dated many a guy from Massapequa. Congrats on your anniversary!!! Would love to hook up and chat sometime (sorry, no pun intended - it's the hour and wine). :lol

I do as well. My family it ripe with them. My mother's generation was the first to marry outside of our ethnic subgroup. A lot of my cousins don't speak our native language. Since I grew up with my Grandma, I learned some but not all. So, we have a lot of things that most people look at us kinda funny for, but we love.

As for food traditions, I always have pork roast and sauerkraut at my Granny's house.

As for resolutions....hmmm...I'd like to lose some weight (I'm signed up for the Weight Loss Afghan CAL, too), and I'm feeling the need to give more to the community in terms of time and talent. I've been listening to the Dave Ramsey Show tonight...the Dec. 19 show was the "giving" show, and the stories have been very inspiring. :c9 I think a good portion of my stashbusting might go toward blankets for the homeless shelter.

Oh Minerva! That's so awesome. I worked in a homeless shelter for a really long time. I know how much my residents loved getting blankets. How about something a bit more personal? I taught my clients how to crochet while I was there and they loved it. A lot of them knew how to already and just wanted a refresher. When I left to move, I gave them a lot of my yarn so they can make presents and stuff. They were so awesome!!

As for food traditions, I always have pork roast and sauerkraut at my Granny's house.

As for resolutions....hmmm...I'd like to lose some weight (I'm signed up for the Weight Loss Afghan CAL, too), and I'm feeling the need to give more to the community in terms of time and talent. I've been listening to the Dave Ramsey Show tonight...the Dec. 19 show was the "giving" show, and the stories have been very inspiring. :c9 I think a good portion of my stashbusting might go toward blankets for the homeless shelter.

so you're a Ramsey fan too eh :yay

I think that I do need to do more charitable crochet in '09. I didn't do enough in 08 but I had a bit of a snub so it gave me a distaste for it. Still there is no reason people who need stuff should do without because my little feelings got hurt. :P

:rofl

Oh Minerva! That's so awesome. I worked in a homeless shelter for a really long time. I know how much my residents loved getting blankets. How about something a bit more personal? I taught my clients how to crochet while I was there and they loved it. A lot of them knew how to already and just wanted a refresher. When I left to move, I gave them a lot of my yarn so they can make presents and stuff. They were so awesome!!

now that is heartwarming! I really need to get in touch with my local hospital and see if they take donations for oncology or NICU or something

I know this is a New Years Eve Cal but I stopped crocheting :eek I am enjoying my cocktails!!!! :cheer

We can just rename CAL to be Chat A Long instead... just for this evening

One of my resolutions is to donate at least 6 baby blankets to the nearest NICU. I should be able to keep that one.

I used to make black eyed peas for New Years Eve, but I really don't like them enough to do it this year. I'll be making a pork stir-fry for supper tomorrow, though.

now that is heartwarming! I really need to get in touch with my local hospital and see if they take donations for oncology or NICU or something

Oooh....that just reminded me. I have a cousin who works at the hospital, and she's been making hats/booties for the NICU. I can use up some of the baby yarn there.

I used to make black eyed peas for New Years Eve, but I really don't like them enough to do it this year. I'll be making a pork stir-fry for supper tomorrow, though.

I love black eyed peas, but with our weather there was no way I was stopping at the grocery store.:( Our tradition was to burn a Bayberry candle on New Years Day for good luck...not sure where that tradition came from.

Hi Everyone!

Just got back from a party about a half an hour ago. Boy was it cold here! We just walked up to the next street but the wind chills are below zero!

My 3 month old son just had his bottle and hubby is tucking him in now. My 7 year old son is still up. He said that he is going to stay up this year. We'll see.We only have about a half an hour to go here.

Archived