New Year's Eve CAL?

darski

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We usually stay home so I'll be crocheting. :crocheting We're all just getting over nasty colds and it's snowing out so nothing could make me go out tonight anyway. I may not be around a computer for most of the night so I want to wish everyone a happy 2009 now. :party

This is a great idea!

We just got an invite to a party that will be from 8-11pm. The party is on the next street but I am not looking forward to walking up to the next street tonight as we have a high wind warning here. I was just content to stay at home tonight. I will probably not be staying long as I have a 3 month old who tends to be cranky! My 7 year old and my hubby can stay longer if they want.

I will check in when I can as I am doing crocheting all day in between doing housework. We usually stay up and watch the ball drop from Times Square.

:yay HAPPY NEW YEAR! to those who have already started their new year! :hug

This is such a great idea.. (Yaaa darski!!) I don't think anything exciting will be happenng around here, so, for sure would love to hang out with you guys.. :)

I am working on a ripple so, I will call it my new years eve special lol

maryann

we are going to watch the giant pickle drop a couple of towns over but they celebrate at 7:00 which is midnight GMT so we'll be home by 9:00... I have a ton of things to be working on.... I'll bring chips and dip

Okay....I have to ask....the "giant pickle"? :think

..dh came down with a horrible cold yesterday so we'll miss the pickle drop this year....here is the info :

y Steve Sbraccia, NBC17, 19 hours, 2 minutes ago

Updated: Dec. 31 7:18 am MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. -- Every year thousands people gather to watch a glowing pickle drop in front of the Mt. Olive Pickle Company factory in Wayne County. The annual event began back in 1999 as a private little thing between a few company employees-and has now grown into an event that has gained worldwide notoriety.

As chief mascot for the Mt. Olive Pickle Company, Mr. Crisp, an 8-foot tall pickle, is the mascot of the event. He watches as a giant pickle is lowered into an antique, wooden pickle barrel. A few years back, the pickle entered the barrel a few seconds to early. So now, the pickle promoters take precautions.

Deep inside the pickle barrel, there are dry runs now before the actual drop. And the special New Year's Eve pickle is preserved until just the right moment.

"The official pickle, which is hiding at present being rested up for tomorrow night, will be computer controlled," explains pickle protector Ray Joyner.

The public pickling didn't start that way. Back in 1999, it was just as a little ceremony for a few Mt. Olive employees.

"The next year, we opened it up to our plant employees and their families, so we went from eight people to about 50," explains Lynn Williams who is the company's pickle drop expert.

Some might think in a small Eastern North Carolina town of about 5,000 that a pickle drop would have a pretty limited regional appeal. But it turns out; folks from all over are pretty "juiced up" about it.

"We were lucky enough to be named in the Top 10 of America's Quirkiest New Year's Eve celebrations by Trip Advisor.com," said Williams.

The pickle drop is more than entertainment. It also helps the Mt. Olive Company to give something back by collecting items for the North Carolina Food Bank.

"For folks who bring canned food donations we provide a door prize ticket," said Williams. "Last year we collected a half a ton of food. This year, we are shooting for a full ton."

And Williams notes, all the food collected eventually finds its way back to outlets in Wayne and Duplin counties; the two areas that supply the pickle company with its raw material.

I'll be checking in. We are not going anywhere as we prefer to stay home, now whether I'm awake at midnight is another story. I think it's great everyone saying Happy New Year all at different times.

Happy New Year Wendy

Unless I change my mind, I'll probably be here. A friend has invited me to her parents' shindig, but that involves being outside for fireworks at midnight. It's supposed to be rather cold tonight, so I'll probably stay home and curl up with the dog. If home, I'll be working on my latest flannelghan.:crocheting

Lea that is just fabulous. I would love to get there one year just for joy of watching a pickle make a big splash... :photo:mdust

I love how humanity finds ways to just be flat out joyful.

I wanted to get signed in early enough to welcome all the NY's that are to come.

And of course, in Canada we have to remember to welcome in the NY at 10:30 pm for Newfoundland and Labrador. :yay

I will be here too - We stay home on New Years eve and have a nice quiet evening to ourselves. DH cooks a great meal and we actually eat at the dining room table.

After all the hustle and bustle I wanted a night that was just for us.

But now that I have found Crochetville, it has become a night between the three of us!!!!

I am working on a sweet scallops shawl

..Darski... you just tootle your hiney down here any time to watch that pickle drop with me....

Janet.... I've done the Time square thing ( once in 1976) that was enough for me!!!!

I'm working on the mitten coasters tonight.... I want to do 16 total and have 9 done so far...

Well, I'll be alone by choice on New Year's Eve ... but midnight New Year's Eve for me is 6 p.m. EST time for you!! I'll tell you what: I'll let you know how things are looking the other side of 2009, y'all can catch up on me later :lol

Oops... I just missed wishing you Happy New Year. Well my heart was in the right place even if my fingers were elsewhere. :rofl

:party

Darski....I saw on the flannelghan thread that you're thinking of making a new one. What colors are you considering? My latest is RHSS is soft navy and burgundy.

By the way, I went to Niagra Falls and Toronto when I was a teenager....absolutely loved it up there. I didn't want to come home. I actually called my mom and said, "See you in a few years!" LOL Maybe someday I'll get to go back and explore a bit more.

Darski....I saw on the flannelghan thread that you're thinking of making a new one. What colors are you considering? My latest is RHSS is soft navy and burgundy.

By the way, I went to Niagra Falls and Toronto when I was a teenager....absolutely loved it up there. I didn't want to come home. I actually called my mom and said, "See you in a few years!" LOL Maybe someday I'll get to go back and explore a bit more.

I am not sure what colours I would choose for another one. I have always wanted to do a black and white one but I am going to lose my Rh supplier as it seems our Walmart is closing the yarn dept. if I have to buy Bernat it could get more expensive, :eek

I am glad to know I am not the only one who is at home tonight crocheting. My husband & I went into Michaels. I was dissapointed by their selection of Crochet accessories. Hobby Lobby has so much more crochet accessories than Michaels. I did manage to talk my husband into buying me 12 skeins of Sugar n Cream yarn. Michaels had them 4/$5 I told my husband we will save 69 cents per skein & he got it for me! I have been thinking of which pot holders to make. About every skein of sugar & cream I bought will be used for Christmas gifts for 2009 Christmas.

I am glad to know I am not the only one who is at home tonight crocheting. My husband & I went into Michaels. I was dissapointed by their selection of Crochet accessories. Hobby Lobby has so much more crochet accessories than Michaels. I did manage to talk my husband into buying me 15 skeins of Sugar n Cream yarn. Michaels had them 4/$5 I told my husband we will save 69 cents per skein & he got it for me! I have been thinking of which pot holders to make. About every skein of sugar & cream I bought will be used for Christmas gifts for 2009 Christmas.

Well if you crochet tonight away you will be well ahead on next year's gifts. WTG!! :yay

I'm home and would love to chat! I'm in Sacto. Ca... how do I get to chat!!!???

Kelley

well it isn't really a chat,,, we just post what we are up to and others reply if they are following along

I'm home tonight too. Hubby has a cold and didn't go in to work tonight. But we're watching a movie and I'm crocheting (the computer is behind the couch). We're watching 'An Inconvenient Truth' with Al Gore. It's about global warming. I've seen it, so I can crochet while we watch. It's worth seeing again.

I'm working on using up scraps...making yo-yo's, flowers and squares.

Archived