Watching an experienced knitter knit

SmoothFox

The hat turned out beautiful. It wasn't the colors you expected but it is still very pretty. You are well on your way. You said you had a Michael's near you, see if they offer classes, mine does. Go sit in a library and knit, you may be surprised to find someone walks up to you and starts a conversation about knitting. You would have tons of books to use and I know if it were me, I would approach you just because that is what we crafters do.

• 4 weeks later...

"Originally Posted by DesertCrocheter

Doesn't the Stitch and B**** author (whose name I am totally blanking on this moment for some reason) say in the first book that she knits with one needle held in her armpit? I say, if it works and doesn't feel awkward, don't change. That's just one more thing to try keeping an eye on. But, if it feels weird, try mimicking your teacher. I suspect that as you get more comfortable and more proficient at knitting, you'll find what fits best in your hands."

I grew up in Belgium and learned how to knit at a very young age holding my right hand needle under my armpit. It's very comfortable for me and I can knit pretty fast.

My wonderful MIL tried to teach me the Continental way (yarn in left hand and picking) but I never got the hang of it. It's my goal to eventually learn how to do this, since I sometimes get strange looks from people when knitting in public.

Lots of luck with learning new techniques, but as someone said "there are only 2 stiches. Once you know how to knit and purl, you can knit any combinations. The wonderful world of knitting awaits you.

Happy knitting,

antwerpnative

Is this normal with these small balls of yarn to find "surprises" inside of them?

Donna

If it has long color repeats, yes. I always look deep inside each ball of Noro or Jojoland that I buy. It cab be magenta, purple, blue, teal, green . . . BARF and then back to magenta. haha

When I learend to knit for the first time, I would have loved it if someone taught me how to 'yarn over' I remember one time i was trying to make a ribbed scarf, and ever swich from knit to Purl looked like I was adding another stich. I finaly figured out thow to fix it, but I still wish I knew back then!

Archived