Nickel allergies and thread crochet

aloomis

I have been playing with a few thread crochet projects, but have slowly been discovering that the nickel plating on steel hooks irritates my fingers. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? I've considered cotton gloves, coating hooks with clear nail polish, or coating hooks with that stuff they sell to treat jewelry with nickel in it.

I'm afraid coating the hooks will change how the yarn moves over them. However, cotton gloves seem like they'll get in the way.

- Amy

I have the most sensitive skin in the world and I haven't had any problems with my fingers. Someone on here crocheted a little thing to fit over their finger so the thread wouldn't be so tight into their finger, but I'm not sure if that would help you. I would try the gloves to see if that works. The nail polish might chip? And you would have to re-apply it but not sure.

What brand hooks are you using? Susan Bates or Boye or? You might want to see if you change brands to see if that would work.

Let me know what you find that works for you.

Krista

I have a set of interchangeable Boye hooks that has an aluminum G-size handle and screw-in tips. It took a little getting used to, but I like it.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?special=&sku=630003&id=2157&tab=

Clover makse soft-touch hooks for thread now, I might have to try one of these

http://www.karpstyles.com/catalog.html?item=2230

Other things that I've seen posted here (for ergonomic reasons): using bakable clay to make a handle, and gutting a ballpoint pen and sticking the hook inside.

Amy- You might consider one of 2 options:

1. Try out one hook and apply Sculpey clay over the handle area of your hooks and follow the package directions for baking in a very low oven. Or have wood handles made for the hooks at a craft wood cutters shop

2. Maybe the yarn is bothering your skin. I just recently developed an eczema problem from crocheting so much. I'm going to try that cream called "2nd Hand" (or something like that) that auto mechanics use to protect their skin.

Hope you find a quick resolve soon. I'd go nuts if I could not crochet! LOL

I was just going to say that I really like the Clover steel hooks with the plastic handles. Much more comfortable to use than the skinny little things! I think my hand doesn't get nearly as tired. There are other companies who make fat-handled steel hooks, too, but I suspect Clover will be the easiest to find. ChiaoGoo makes a wonderful one with a bamboo handle (scroll down to see it). It's extremely light and comfortable. Amy of Knitty likes them, too. Read here.

What I find is that all these hooks may have a slightly different sizing system but I can still find ones to work for any pattern, although its number may read differently from a Boye or Susan Bates.

The stretch type gloves that surgeons wear are available at most drug stores, they fit comfortably with lots of flexibilty. I've used them when had sores with meds or creams, to keep it from getting on yarn (cut off and just used one or two fingers when necessary). Should be easy for you and they are not expensive.

I don't know if the hooks could be coated with something that would keep the nickel from touching your skin.

Some use plastic, bone, or wood because of the nickel. There are some antique silver hooks around, but depending on what's in the silver, that could be problematic as well.

Hooklady might be able to answer something about this.

I use foam covers on my steel hooks and I like them very much. Here is a link where you can see them and order them.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=012900-0001&id=2378

You might also check with some of the other retailers online and Hobby Lobby carries them too if you have a store near by.

I have a friend who dipped the handles of her hooks in the 'goo' that men can dip their tools in (pliers, etc) .... I know what you were thinking... :heehee:yes

Anyhow, it puts a smooth plastic coating on the tool handle. It can also be removed if it doesn't work for you or if you don't like it.

You can probably find it at most hardware or home improvement stores.

Go to An electronics store (Radio Shack ect...) and get some heat shrink that will fit over the hook. Shrink it over the hook creating a plastic coating.

My husband modified my set of hooks with these shrink wrap sleeves and they work like a charm! The nickel in the aluminum hooks hasn't bothered me at all since he did this for me!

Archived