How do you keep yourself on task for big projects?

amaryllisse

Question

I've wanted to make afghans for awhile, but I always get distracted by smaller projects that somehow butt in. I take *forever* to get something done. Not because I'm a slow crocheter, but because I keep starting new projects. I have 4 going on at home right now....

Is there a trick to making it all the way to the end? How do you keep yourself on track and finish such a huge project? :think

11 answers to this question

I have the same "problem". I have a queen size granny square blanket that I've been working on for over 2 years now and I wanted to have it done by Christmas (not looking good). Some people just don't like to be working on more than one or 2 projects at a time, or work so fast that they're done before they get bored. A really good idea for afghans that I got from a woman in one of my classes is that she likes to have one in progress folded at the foot of her bed so that she can work on a few rows of it every night before bed, or if she can't sleep.

Oh, and if you think 4 projects is bad, I probably have at least 10 and am almost constantly starting something new.

I know that if I start a really large project that I am going to get sick of doing it at some point in time so I will allow myself only two others to fill in. I am really anal about making sure one thing is done before going onto another. If I am working on something large, I will allow myself to do really simple stuff, like dishcloths, on those nights when I am too tired to think. I will also allow a break with a small project like a simple doily or thread angel, etc., to break up the task.

Like I said, if I get more than that going at once, I get way to confused, forget where I am, have to frog to get my head back into the pattern and it just is not worth it.

That's what works for me,

TLOL,

Toni

For me, it's just a matter of will power. I don't allow myself to have any more than three projects going -- one large one such as an afghan and two smaller ones -- dishcloths, hats, scarves, etc. And every evening, I make sure I do at least one or two rows on the large project. It gets done eventually that way and I don't feel as though I'm ignoring it.

I have a bunch that meets in my building on Wed. nights and I keep special projects for that time. I especially like to make afghan squares in that time and it keeps me on track.

The real trick to getting to the end of a long project is Reality. you know who you are and you have to work with what you've got (ok, what you are)

I know that I have no staying power so I have to find ways that work around my ability to stray. That is why the Wed evening works for me that way.

If you have a fave TV show (do people still do TV? ) then plan that hour every week to be the time you devote to the Big Project. Or if there is a good TV line up one night - then go with that night for your project. Have coffee/tea at hand and just enjoy.

The other trick is to start a CAL here that will encourage you to stick to it. Accountability can be a very good thing. :wlol

Is there a trick to making it all the way to the end? How do you keep yourself on track and finish such a huge project? :think

Currently I'm working on making some last minute gifts for Christmas as a job I was going to be doing didn't work out because of the weather we're having in Western WA right now... So I'm having to use the yarn I have on hand to make Scarves for some family members. However, with only a few days till Christmas, it's like one huge project. What I do to stay on task, is pretty much what I used to do as a child to help me get my homework done.

I put on some music I like and can sing to, and get comfortable. In my case either in my computer chair or on my bed.

I finished the first of three scarves I'm working on earlier this morning. As it's the first project I've ever completed, I'm very proud of it.

I have the exact same problem, I have to force myself to work on the afghan I'm making because it's so overwhelming. I think the only reason I've gotten as far as I have is because of who I'm making it for. I can't even allow myself one other project because I know I'll get side tracked and never finish this project.

Having only made a couple afghans in the time I've been crocheting, it seemed like a huge project to take on. I basically broke it down into smaller projects by having the goal of doing only so many rows per day. I wouldn't allow myself to work on anything else until I reached my goal. That way I was making progress on my afghan but still having time to work on a little project in between rows. But one thing I did notice, the first few rows went a lot faster than the middle and end rows.... so a small number like 5 for example may not seem like a lot at first, and you can even exceed your goals then, but once you get going it will get a little harder to reach your goal. At least you can feel like you've accomplished something when you have a smaller goal instead of looking at the entire thing and realizing how many rows you have to do... or it was that way for me at least. :)

I'm forcing myself to finish an afghan right now for my father. It is 48 10x10 squares of dc with J hook. Do I ever regret starting this one!!!! I have 12 squares left then I have to put it all together. Needless to say, it will NOT be done by Christmas, but hopefully the week after. He's a big guy and needs a big blanket.

Alot of patience, picking a project that isn't going to be too boring (a reason I like doing squares or motifs for ghans, although I hate putting them together) and having some small ones to switch to.

I am working on a scrap ghan, and had stopped in between to whip up a few thread doilies, snowflakes and bookmarks. I find it isn't just enough to change projects, I need to switch mediums (such as from WW to thread to sport, which also means hook changes) and color and texture switches help too (simply soft to boucle to cotton).

Also some breaks to visit here are great boredom and stress relievers!!!

Archived