Yardage Calculation

InStitches52

As I was writing up the pattern for my Double Snowflake Bookmark it occurred to me someone might actually want yardage info. :eek

That got me to wondering :think just how designers go about calculating thread yardage for their beautiful doilies.

I figured out the yardage for my project by measuring the thread needed for various individual stitches and then multiplying by the number of those stitches in a round yada,yada,yada. I'm certain there has to be an easier way........ please tell me there is an easier way.

No pattern yet, but a pic of the bookmark is here if you haven't seen it: http://www.deardiary.net/show/diaries/119970/1229558400?comments=on

As I was writing up the pattern for my Double Snowflake Bookmark it occurred to me someone might actually want yardage info. :eek

That got me to wondering :think just how designers go about calculating thread yardage for their beautiful doilies.

I figured out the yardage for my project by measuring the thread needed for various individual stitches and then multiplying by the number of those stitches in a round yada,yada,yada. I'm certain there has to be an easier way........ please tell me there is an easier way.

No pattern yet, but a pic of the bookmark is here if you haven't seen it: http://www.deardiary.net/show/diaries/119970/1229558400?comments=on

Some ideas:

1. For a smallish item (or a quick crocheter) - crochet the item, unravel and measure the used thread/yarn. (For something made of joined motifs, do on one motif and multiply by # of motifs for total yardage.

2. If the material you are using has a known weight and yardage per ball/hank/skein - weigh the finished object before cutting any ends that are tidied away and then calculate using the weight:yardage ratio (e.g. if 50g=250 yards, then a 10g bookmark would be 50 yards.)

3. For an item without known weight:yardage ratio, calculate your own - either measure 10 yards and then weigh for grams or oz. or weigh out 10g or so and then measure, then use that ratio to calculate based on weight of finished item before trimming ends...

BTW, I like the bookmark... if you write up the pattern and it is offered as a free pattern on the web, we'd love to include it in Snowflake Mondays CAL for 2009... ;)

Cheers,

That is an awesome bookmark! Pretty snow pix too.

Everything that Marika said, but...for a small item like that I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble.

If it were a large doily that might go over 100 yards, which might require one to purchase multiple balls, then yes, but not necessarily for your small item. Using some 100-yd-per-ball Royale sparkly thread, I think I got 6 or 7 snowflakes out of 1 ball.

You could specify what kind of thread you used and say instead 'one ball will make several'.

Archived