Ahhhhhhhhhh gheesh!

I had an ahhhhhhh gheesh moment and I'm trying to come up with a way to nicely reject it.

The 'neighbors' came over the other day, (the neighborhood was without power and everyone was out and about making sure no one froze to death the night before) Anyhow, I had on a cap and scarf that I had made and like a dumb head, when she asked if I had made it, I said yes. She then went on about how she wanted me to teach her to crochet, very seriously, I might add. She all but set a date.

I need to come up with something nice to say that would sound right if she presses the 'will you teach me', because it won't end there. I'm not a mean person, but come on.... you've got to be kidding me! They are never going to be my 'new' best friends! Please, help me get my foot out of my mouth! :sigh

Maybe something along the lines of - "Some people are not cut out for teaching and I'm one of them, sorry, I wouldn't even know where to start." Then suggest checking the Senior Center or other community centers for free lessons, or she can sign up for lessons at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Good luck!

Talk about putting your foot in your mouth!! Personally, I would be too 'busy' every time she comes up with a time to get together. But if you absolutely can't get out of it, go to their house, much better than having her in yours. Show her a few things, (how to get started) buy her 'Crochet for Dummies,' and let her go.

On a funnier note, my sister and I both had hubbies with ex-wives, we called them our wife-in-law. It is easier to laugh about the situation than to get upset and angry. Don't let her get to you; if he wanted her, he would still be there.

Give her the cost of the project. How much for the hook, how much for yarn, the cost of the book, etc. That usually stops people who are not sincere.

( I so feel for you, good luck. :no But "DON'T DO IT'! I've often (in the past) done things for people when my little voice and DH have told me not to, and I did it anyway, and I have always gotten burned. )

Wow!

I'm sorry for you being neighbors with your husband's ex and her mother! That borders on cruel and unusual punishment!

I would do as Greyling said: tally up the starting cost. Then if she's sincere and buys the materials, I would do as Barbara James said: go over there instead of having her over. Just be careful not to say anything personal while you're there, so it doesn't come back to haunt you!

Surely she knows you're not going to forge a close bond. Just show her how to start, how to read a pattern, and maybe even the web address to a DIFFERENT crochet board! :lol Basic stitches and pattern reading will get her going easily enough.

Good luck! :clover

I would do as Greyling said: tally up the starting cost. Then if she's sincere and buys the materials, I would do as Barbara James said: go over there instead of having her over. Just be careful not to say anything personal while you're there, so it doesn't come back to haunt you!

Either that, or meet at a neutral place, like a Starbucks or other coffee shop.

Give her a copy of "Learn to crochet in Just one day" or some other teaching book. Tell her this is the book you started with and you hope she will enjoy her new hobby! Let her know you will be 'available' for help but the book is really so well done that you can't imagine any intellegent person needing any help!

Okay, the pros and cons and the decision! :yes

If I give her a book and tell her I'm available, she'll be back before she reads page one.:sweat

If I tell her how much the material is... that won't work. She is a buy the flavor of the month person. UPS knows her star signs they are there so often.:mail

If I say I'm too busy, she'll keep checking to see if I'm not! :waving

If it were anyone else that I wasn't too fond of, I would do any one of the above... but.......:ohdear

The decision is to tell her I wouldn't be a good teacher and that I'm sure she could take classes in one or both of the local craft stores. :yay

Thank you all so much. :hug

And, thank you for your sympathy. :hug Believe me, it's a tough neighborhood. We are planning on moving -- someday. But, where we want to move to for retirement doesn't have any job prospects, so we are trying to hold on as we want to use the equity from the house for retirement. But now, since were dh works has put up a for sale sign, we may have to move sooner to where he can find work. So either way, I know this won't last forever. So, I just grin :U and bear it :rolleyes! Thankfully dh understands my feelings! :manyheart

May i add the suggestion of finding the listings for the local classes that teach crocheting to give to her when you tell her "i'm sorry, but im not really cut out to teach, but i did get these listings for you of several classes, that are _____ (free, cheap) and at different times that may fit your schedule/location"

this way it at least LOOKS like you are sincere in trying to "help" her learn (aka: via SOMEONE ELSE!) :)

Sandy

oh honey i feel for you yikessssssssss im glad your going with the im not cut out to teach kind of person, i tried that once but it didn't work cause they knew i taught crochet at joanns sigh i made them come and pay for my class though and neither could crochet with a darn but once they paid the 40.00 each i didn;t mind, yes it paid that well lol joannes got 25% which was 10.00 and i got 30 per student.

Good idea in giving her actual class times and amounts. :yes

oh honey i feel for you yikessssssssss im glad your going with the im not cut out to teach kind of person, i tried that once but it didn't work cause they knew i taught crochet at joanns sigh i made them come and pay for my class though and neither could crochet with a darn but once they paid the 40.00 each i didn;t mind, yes it paid that well lol joannes got 25% which was 10.00 and i got 30 per student.

Sweet! :yes

Archived