2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Hhhhhmmmmm, Teresa.....I figured it was shelves for yarn, now I don't know! :think

I've officially decided to change my weight loss afghan from the football 'ghan to another one I've started. I want the football one done for football season, and I'm not losing weight fast enough for that! :P

The other one uses the motifs from the Floral Fiesta afghan, but without the round of white, and I'm using the Caron Spa colors. I plan to lay them out in a pattern, instead of doing a random scrap thing like it suggests. The squares are small, though, and I think I'll need 361 squares. (19 squares x 19 squares) Thank goodness I don't need to lose 361 lbs! So I'll do 6 squares for each pound. That'll be 60 lbs. I don't know what to call it - it's just the motifs from the Floral Fiesta afghan, but I changed them a bit, too.....my own version of the Floral Fiesta afghan, I guess.

Good! Now I can get myself going on that, properly! :cheer

I'm still riding my bike - I need to get myself moving more often, but I've had trouble going to sleep at night lately, and consequently had trouble getting up in the mornings. I was going to ride this morning, but it was pouring down rain, so I rolled over and went back to sleep! I'll try again tomorrow. I'm up to 2 1/4 miles now! I'm very proud of myself for that!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have enjoyed reading all the post in the last day. I feel like I know some of you. I am interested in continuing to read about your progresses, like all of us, I could stand to loose some weight about 15-20 lbs. Congratulations on your weight loss. I like doing baby blankets because they go fast. In the last 2 months I have been doing small RR blankets for a friend who is using them to put them on her couch back and also doing a green camo blanket for another friends' son. Sorry for the long post but like I said I feel like I know you guys after 106 pages of reading about you guys in the last day. I need to quit reading and start crocheting. Mindy.:crocheting

I may join in, just found this last night and read until about 130 am, I was hooked and had to read all the entries and see how you guys were doing on your diets and exercise afghans/projects. Looking forward to see all the things as they progress. Mindy

Hi, Mindy. :hug Glad to have you here with us. Yes, we'd love to have you join in, but no pressure. You are still welcome to pop in from time to time, if that works best for you. We are real casual here, our moto has become just that: whatever works for you.

Will this be something that is started fresh in 2010 or is it an ongoing thing?

Susi

That is definitely something I wanted to discuss with everybody before the end of the year is out. If I've reached my goal by 2010, then someones else can take it over, otherwise, I'll consider doing it another year myself. But I do think it ought to start fresh with a new thread called 2010 Weight Loss Afghan, otherwise it's getting too long.

That is definitely something I wanted to discuss with everybody before the end of the year is out. If I've reached my goal by 2010, then someones else can take it over, otherwise, I'll consider doing it another year myself. But I do think it ought to start fresh with a new thread called 2010 Weight Loss Afghan, otherwise it's getting too long.

Good idea. :yes

Theresa, even if you reach your goal, you could do a "maintenance afghan" - one square each week you maintain.... or an "exercise afghan" - one square each day you get yourself moving....

Just a suggestion. I've lost weight and gained weight off and on in my life, and I'm always so frustrated when I regain instead of maintain.... I need to learn that when I reach my goal, it doesn't mean I'm done. :sigh

Oh, I know, you are never 'done' unfortunately.

If I do continue this next year, I don't need any more afghans, in fact, I haven't been crocheting lately because my carpal tunnel is really acting up.

I taught myself tunisian crochet, but that hurt it worse. So then I taught myself to knit, hoping that wouldn't hurt my carpal tunnel. And that seems to be going better, though my right hand cramps up, but maybe that's just because I'm using different muscles than I'm used to.

I started wearing a wrist support and that helps too.

Okay, I started putting my 'project' together and realized it needs more support. So it's back to sawing & drilling and sanding & staining. Yay! More exercise! :lol

And I'm STILL waiting for that piece to come in the mail. :irk It's been 2 wks and the seller isn't answering my emails. (ebay :blush).

Theresa, even if you reach your goal, you could do a "maintenance afghan" - one square each week you maintain.... or an "exercise afghan" - one square each day you get yourself moving....

Just a suggestion. I've lost weight and gained weight off and on in my life, and I'm always so frustrated when I regain instead of maintain.... I need to learn that when I reach my goal, it doesn't mean I'm done. :sigh

I am doing the same with my afghan, all three - goal, exercise and later maintenece. I have a lot of tiles to go. :lol

I did a 4 miles of hilly streets/staircases in San Francisco last weekend. Also I did a long staircase at a house that is under construction as I check out some houses on sales. Hence two tiles.

I found I gained several more lbs over months. So I decide I will take walks daily. I can't risk my bad knees with my current weight. I will hold on running until I lose some weight. I might renew my gym membership soon. Hopefully the gym do have a pool, where I can do laps. I missed been in a swimming team. :yes

It seems like I far prefer crocheting for other people than I do for myself.:hook

I started the year at 197 pounds and am now at 177 pounds. Being a woman of a certain age (menopause sucks!) I figures I had best get a downward trend started soon. I went to my OB/GYN and got goodnews/bad news. The good news is that it isn't all belly fat that I am packing around. The bad news is that I have a greatly enlarged uterus and have had a biopsy, will be having an ultrasound and will soon find out why. I pray that it is benign fibroid tumors and nothing worse. There is a possibility for losing a few unwanted pounds!

Kellie,

I thought you were going to say you are pregnant. I pray that it is nothing too serious.

Congrats on the 20 lb. weight loss.

Wow! Crystal, I agree that is a lot of weight to lose in such a short time. Be careful and enjoy being 40 lbs. lighter.

I can almost hear pitter patter of baby's feet. ;)

Wow! Crystal, I agree that is a lot of weight to lose in such a short time. Be careful and enjoy being 40 lbs. lighter.

I can almost hear pitter patter of baby's feet. ;)

I lost that much that quick because I am having gallbladder problems. I will be having surgery sometime next week hopefully. I am seeing a surgeon on Monday. At least the gallbladder problem is good for something! Helping with my weight loss at least the gallbladder pain isn't for nothing. I am glad I am at least loosing weight. It is getting me excited knowing I am almost at the half way point of my weight loss. I am only 60 pounds away from being able to start trying to have a baby! :yay

My doctor from the emergency room said to eat a bland diet and boy that is helping not only with my gallbladder pain (which is why he said bland diet) but with my weight loss too! I can only eat grilled cheeses, mashed potatoes, drink sprite and eat chicken noodle soup.