2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

Gina, that's wonderful, to be able to do that in addition to your no-smoking challenge.

I have finally got off my butt and started back exercising. I've walked the past two days. I'll have to find something else to do today though, its pouring.

Our treadmill expired a few weeks ago from over use, (not from me though,LOL) and we haven't yet replaced it. I may have to run up and down the stairs or see if I can find an exercise video..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you're off to a great start Gina!

Cindy - have you considered an elliptical machine? I love mine and I think they're more fun and work more muscles than a treadmill. They work your arms as well as legs.

It rained yesterday, but today the sun is out and it's like Spring!!! I've turned off the furnace and opened a couple windows! (I'm on a mountain in WV.) Can't believe it.

Edited by Tia

Thanks for adding me to the list. I'm really excited about doing this with you all.

As I stated before, I HATE to exercise, but yesterday I did 25 minutes on our glider:cheer. I know my doc said 45 minutes, but I think the last time I exercised was 28 years ago when I was a cheerleader. I'm gonna start slow and then build to 45 minutes. I hope to get there by the end of next week. Next month I'm going to add 30 minutes at a gym as well as the 45 min. of walking. I have decided that I can crochet as long as I want to AFTER I exercise. If I don't exercise that day, no crochet.:(

It felt so good to have an incentive I know I can stick with. I've been searching for something to motivate me to exercise and get healthy since last Spring. I finally found it!!!

Thank you for the wonderful idea and a gateway to my health!!!!! My goal is to get off my diabetic meds by the end of the year and to enter my Yo-yo Afghan in our State Fair in August.

yarnbunny-Best of luck on getting your diabetes under control.;)

That is a BIG reason I want to lose weight. My mom was diagnosed about 2 years ago with diabetes and she has to take insulin 3 times per day. She hadn't been to the doctor for YEARS!!!! :eek

My maternal aunt is able to control her diabetes with healthy eating and exercise. I figured that I am 15 years younger than my aunt and I should get on her health plan to maybe avoid the whole diabetes fear I have.

It is very possible to control it with what your doctor suggested.:yes

I haven't been on forever, but I'm in on this one.

I'm gonna change the rules a little to fit me and my situation, but I know you'll support me and keep me accountable.

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and my Dr. says I MUST exercise. I HATE to exercise:grumpy. But I have to, at least walk for 45 minutes a day. So, here is what I will be doing: I am going to make the Yo-Yo afghan Almoreland posted. (Very Beautiful, BTW) Everyday that I walk my 45 minutes, I can sit and crochet 4-5 yo yos. the weight will come off I'm sure, but I'm focusing on getting into the habit of exercising.!

Wow I really like your endeavor for exercie and crocheting. I usually begin back my walking program when it start to warm up, and the trees begin to bud every other day. I will be cheering you on. Enjoy making yo-yo's. :yay:yay

Cindy - have you considered an elliptical machine? I love mine and I think they're more fun and work more muscles than a treadmill. They work your arms as well as legs.

It rained yesterday, but today the sun is out and it's like Spring!!! I've turned off the furnace and opened a couple windows! (I'm on a mountain in WV.) Can't believe it.

Tia, we have actually talked about getting an elliptical to replace the treadmill. We need to do some shopping around.

It was springlike here yesterday. Over 60 degrees in February in Michigan is unusual. Today its raining, tomorrow back to snow, which is normal.

yarnbunny-Best of luck on getting your diabetes under control.;)

That is a BIG reason I want to lose weight. My mom was diagnosed about 2 years ago with diabetes and she has to take insulin 3 times per day. She hadn't been to the doctor for YEARS!!!! :eek

My maternal aunt is able to control her diabetes with healthy eating and exercise. I figured that I am 15 years younger than my aunt and I should get on her health plan to maybe avoid the whole diabetes fear I have.

It is very possible to control it with what your doctor suggested.:yes

My paternal grandmother, my dad and his brother are all diabetic, and none of them have the expected risk factors. It is a fear in the back of my mind too, as is heart disease. My moms family has a very strong history of heart disease. Both her parents dies of it and all of her 8 siblings have either had heart attacks, or have already died from it. She has high blood pressure but so far no further heart problems.

OK I am back in - or should I say - actually ready to get started!!

I was planning to do a sweater but have decided I would rather do an afghan to keep my one-day in the near future thin body warm. I bought a bunch of beautiful Lion Brand Suede in a variegated color called seacrest (or something like that - it's a pretty blue variegated yarn) that I found on sale a few weeks ago. I think it would make for a really nice afghan. So I loked around and found the Crochet Dude's Monet Afghan http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_10/220000/220209/1/print/220209.pdf

I think it will look great in the yarn I have. I ant to lose around 75 or so pounds this year so if I make this afghan a bit bigger (16 squares instead of 12) I can make one square for every five pounds gone.

okay, I admit I've been slacking...I caught a few nasty bugs and having trouble getting it going again. I only have 2 pounds from 1/4 of my afghan being done!!!

Hello everyone! I went to my Mom's for my birthday lastnight. She has a treadmill so I used it because I had to have birthday cake! LOL! I walked for 20 minutes and did 1 mile. Today I have such guilt over the freakin cake, I walked outside 2 miles with a friend for 45 minutes. The temp reached 52 today! Everyone was wearing shorts and had windows open! (That's Maine for ya!) I hope I can finally lose weight this time! I have a walking friend, an eating/journaling friend, and I have you guys as inspiration/crafting friends! I HAVE to do it this time! Everyone sounds like that are doing great! I am so happy to be in this CAL!

What a neat idea!

Thanks, feel free to join us anytime.

My paternal grandmother, my dad and his brother are all diabetic, and none of them have the expected risk factors. It is a fear in the back of my mind too, as is heart disease. My moms family has a very strong history of heart disease. Both her parents dies of it and all of her 8 siblings have either had heart attacks, or have already died from it. She has high blood pressure but so far no further heart problems.

That's something I've been worrying about as well...I had a maternal grandmother and great grandmother with type 2 diabetes. They were both overweight.

OK I am back in - or should I say - actually ready to get started!!

I was planning to do a sweater but have decided I would rather do an afghan to keep my one-day in the near future thin body warm. I bought a bunch of beautiful Lion Brand Suede in a variegated color called seacrest (or something like that - it's a pretty blue variegated yarn) that I found on sale a few weeks ago. I think it would make for a really nice afghan. So I loked around and found the Crochet Dude's Monet Afghan http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_10/220000/220209/1/print/220209.pdf

I think it will look great in the yarn I have. I ant to lose around 75 or so pounds this year so if I make this afghan a bit bigger (16 squares instead of 12) I can make one square for every five pounds gone.

I updated your pattern choice, beautiful 'ghan!

okay, I admit I've been slacking...I caught a few nasty bugs and having trouble getting it going again. I only have 2 pounds from 1/4 of my afghan being done!!!

I don't think it's slacking if you've been sick. Hope you feel better. :hug

Hello everyone! I went to my Mom's for my birthday lastnight. She has a treadmill so I used it because I had to have birthday cake! LOL! I walked for 20 minutes and did 1 mile. Today I have such guilt over the freakin cake, I walked outside 2 miles with a friend for 45 minutes. The temp reached 52 today! Everyone was wearing shorts and had windows open! (That's Maine for ya!) I hope I can finally lose weight this time! I have a walking friend, an eating/journaling friend, and I have you guys as inspiration/crafting friends! I HAVE to do it this time! Everyone sounds like that are doing great! I am so happy to be in this CAL!

Way to go! :yay Walking is great exercise.

Has anyone checked out www.fitday.com? My niece has been using this site as support to her weight loss goals and has dropped thirteen pounds in a short amount of time.

My muscles have finally recovered from the tree climbing (nice to know I haven't forgotten how) and I walked 45 minutes with my niece yesterday. Guess I should think about getting started on my afghan. :crochetingOther projects keep sounding more appealing!

It's friday!!! And everyone knows what tomorrow is. :heart Anybody have any plans?

We'd like to do something tomorrow, haven't made any set plans yet. But there is a chance of snow. I don't think it'll do much, hopefully not. We talked about going to the movies, but nothing is really striking us. Hubby's b-day was Wed., so we'll be celebrating that as well. Which reminds me! I'd better get wrapping!

so i was just reading back and seeing some of you are stopping smoking as well. i think that's wonderful and will keep you in my prayers that you don't fall off the wagon and if you do that you get right back on. i myself am an ex smoker so i know what you are going through keep up the good work.

Haven't been here for a while and finally caught up with all the posts.

Congrats to all who are losing weight !!!!!!!!

Gina: congrats on your not smoking !!!!! You Go Girl !!!! :cheer

I still have my 4lb loss and haven't moved despite going to the gym every 2 days. I DO feel the difference in the way my clothes fit tho.

Don't have to lay down on the bed to zip up my jeans. :lol

Haven't worked on my afghan lately - very bz at work and so tired at night I fall asleep on the couch when I sit in front of the tv.

Love seeing pics of all those that are posted.

econ-nerd: I love the Monet afghan!! I plan to make that another time with some verigated blue yarn and the lacy part in a solid navy. Great choice and would love to see the final work.

Everyone enjoy your Valentine's Day !!!!! :manyheart

I think Monday might be a bad weigh in! Tuesday I had my b-day cake and yesterday was just awful! I went out to eat with a friend and let's just say it wasn't pretty! We split2 appetizers.....beer battered onion rings and mozzerella sticks! After that I was full but did I stop ..HECK NO! We had salads. Then the entrees came on a platter! Which I could have divided into 4 meals! Since I have been doing so well with portion control! There was at least 2 cups of mashed/ gravy and 20 chicken fingers! Luckily, I couldn't finish! I still ate waaaay more then I should of though! I know we all fall off the wagon once in awhile, but I am mad at myself! That was not smart! I could of gone out and still ate the same things but not as much! UGGH!!!! Because I am mad at myself I haven't written in my journal and probably been eating like a hog all day! (I really don't pay attention unless I journal!) So tomorrow is a new day! I WILL journal and walk no matter what ! Thanks for letting me rant n rave!

so i'm hoping to woke on my afghan tonight after i put the kids to bed. now my husband and my dad have the flu and my son is still feeling crummy and has been whinning all day bla

Sorry you had a bad day Jenni. I was bad myself at Red Lobster eating fried shrimp! But that was the only meal I had all day. Just had a bowl of cereal as a late night snack and I had one piece of candy that dh gave me.

I'll be working out extra tomorrow for sure!

Hope everyone feels better soon, Lyndsay. The flu is no fun!

I worked all day yesterday at my sister's house digging out and dividing 20 mature clumps of Siberian iris that were growing in muck and rocks. I may not be losing weight, but my muscles are getting a workout.

Baby steps, baby steps. Remember the parable of the grasshopper and the ant!