Spinning Golden Retriever Hair

rshseaeagle

Hello all you spinners out there :).

I have two Golden Retrievers and would love to have some yarn from their hair. I know it would take quite a bit of hair to get enough yarn for a project but would be willing to collect for awhile.

I tried to spin once and it was quite comical. I just don't have the knack for it. :lol.

Would anyone be interested in spinning some for me and if so, how much would you charge and how much would you need.

My sister used to spin, she had a chow chow and would spin that and it was really pretty. She no longer spins though, got rid of all her stuff long ago and moved to NM.

TLOL,

Toni

• 2 weeks later...

The Golden is a double-coated breed, isn't it?? The undercoat would be nice to spin but it would need to be incorporated with about 50/50 wool to make a nice yarn that isn't too stiff. Since it is hair, if using just the undercoat, a spinner would need to put a greater twist into the yarn making the yarn very stiff.

I sometimes take on custom spinning.

For a single ply yarn, I charge .15/yard or .25/yard for a double ply.

When spinning dog hair, I would also charge for the wool I use to card 50/50 with the dog hair (#3.00/oz)

Cyndi,

How much dog hair would you need to make up one or two skeins of yarn? I pretty much figured it would need to be blended with something that you could not just use the fur straight.

Many Many years ago, my sister decided she wanted to learn how to spin and took some classes. I actually gave it a try and it was truly a comical event. I saved the sad looking spun wool for the longest time and I think on my last, I'm throwing everything out, tirade, it got tossed. It really was a funny looking thing. I have alot of respect for those who have this gift.

I have no idea what I would make with it, but one or two skeins would probably be enough for a scarf. I do have a pattern for a hooded scarf that calls for 9 ounces of chunky yarn. Not sure what the dog hair and wool would spin up to in size. Perhaps you could let me know. Now let's see, what size skeins? Maybe 6 or 8 ounces depending on the size of the spun yarn - your guidance would help out here!

Let me know what you think, I can then let you know what I might make and see how much I would need. I think it would be really cool to have a scarf or something made from my furbabies, fur.

Thanks,

TLOL,

Toni

These links should help you determine how much fiber you would need. They describe 'Wraps Per Inch' or wpi.

http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/wpi.shtm

http://www.whirledyarn.com/WPIpage.html

"one or two" skeins doesn't mean much. A skein can be a few yards or hundreds of yards. Even "9 oz" doesn't mean much because the yardage from 9 oz spun worsted varies greatly from 9 oz spun fine or bulky!

I do have a McMorran yarn balance that helps me determine yards per pound (http://www.allfiberarts.com/library/aa00/aa022800.htm)

This all may or may not help you in your search of how much fiber you would need and the weight of the yarn that needs to be spun.....

Archived