I'm new and looking for a particular hat pattern, can you help me?

stillLearning

Hi everyone I'm new here, the site is great, so much information! I'm looking for the pattern for a certain type of hat. Has anyone heard of a stove-pipe style hat? It's round on top kind of like a beret, but has sides that come straight down (not angled in like a beret). It also has a bill on the front, like a baseball cap but not as long. A friend of mine only wears this style and I would like to make one as a gift. Any help is greatly appreciated:)

I'm not sure I got the shape of the hat right, maybe a newsboy hat? I'm just going to direct you to http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com in case you haven't been there yet, there's lots of patterns for many different types of hats so maybe you'll find what you need there. Good luck!

It's usually a round flat circle on top that then goes straight down for about a foot or so, then has a wide brim that goes horizontal. Sort of like a Dr. Suess hat.

I'm picturing more of a tin soldier-style hat, not a wide brim all the way around. Am I right?

If so, you really just want to make a sc circle that comes out to just a hair shy of the circumference of the head, then turn your work, and do BLO sc around the circle without any increases. Then, just sc in rows (or a spiral, if you prefer) until you have the desired height of your hat.

At that point, you can swipe the brim off of any of the berets that are in crochet pattern central and put them on your own hat. I remember a beret pattern on there (pom pom beret?) that had a plastic insert from a bleach container to stiffen the brim, you might want to look at that one.

Hope this helps.

It's usually a round flat circle on top that then goes straight down for about a foot or so, then has a wide brim that goes horizontal. Sort of like a Dr. Suess hat.

She's right, I did a search and it's sort of a top hat, here's an example: http://www.starcostumes.com/items/Lincoln_Stovepipe_Hat.aspx?source=FrS

Archived