Crocheted Necktie

CrochetDad

OK, you're not going to believe this story.

We went to my wife's company "Holiday Dinner Party" last night. The seating was pre-assigned, and I was seated next to a man (and my wife on the other side, of course). Initially, it seemed to me the man and I had nothing in common (my wife is a nurse, and the man was a "Patient Councellor" or something like that), then my wife commented on his tie - it was crocheted! He remarked "Thank you. I made it." Of course that got ME into the conversation, and we talked crochet the rest of the evening.

Today, I had to try my hand at crocheting a tie for myself. Here is the result of my first attempt. The smile reflects how I feel about my first tie.

Thanks for looking!

post-13211-135897479696_thumb.jpg

That's wonderful! I hope you and he are able to share again! I'd LOVE to find somebody (not online) who crochets! And for you to find another man who shares your hobby is just spectacular! I hope you told him about crochetville! :) We'd love to have him!

Your tie looks great! I love the color! :cheer

Did you notice that Crochet Dude's new book has a tie?

Thanks for the nice responses. FYI, we did exchange email addresses last night, and I've encouraged him to get his neckties on Etsy. He told me has has about 70 neckties presently and has considered selling them, but didn't know how to get started.

Yes, The Crochet Dude's new book is on my wish list.

That's so cool! Looks great on you. I wanna make one too. :hook

The pattern is very simple. I'll write it up and provide the link, but basically, here's what I did using an I hook and approximately 1.75 oz. of Caron One Pound in Soft Sage:

Row 1:

fdc 9 st (foundation double crochet)

Row 2: ch 1, hdc across (ch1 does NOT count as a stitch)

Repeat Row 2 until tie is approximately 14 inches (or until measurement is 4 inches less than measurement from top of collar to belt line. This is to allow for the knot and where I like the bottom of the tie to be.

Next row: ch 1, hdc in next 3 st, hdc2tog in next 2 st (this is an hdc decrease st), hdc in remaining st. (8 hdc)

Next row: ch 1, hdc in next 3 st, hdc2tog in next 2 st, hdc in remaining st. (7 hdc)

Next row: ch 1, hdc across (7 hdc)

Repeat previous row until desired length. The one I made is 58 inches.

Fasten off, weave in ends, give to your favorite guy or gal. :hook

The fdc is a great way to start a project - there are lots of instructions (and videos!) on the web - just Google (my favorite search engine) "foundation double crochet" or "chainless crochet".

Thanks CrochetDad! I started fiddling around with it last night. :hook I choose Caron Simply Soft from my stash. I alternated the rows with one of hdc and one of sc BLO. I was making a wine bottle cover the other night with that stitch and thought it looked nice. I used the foundation double crochet on it. Will need a little more practice with that I think but I like the results. I may put an edging on it. I hope mine will come out as nice as yours. :)

th_IMG_0551.jpg

Thanks CrochetDad! I started fiddling around with it last night. :hook I choose Caron Simply Soft from my stash. I alternated the rows with one of hdc and one of sc BLO. I was making a wine bottle cover the other night with that stitch and thought it looked nice. I used the foundation double crochet on it. Will need a little more practice with that I think but I like the results. I may put an edging on it. I hope mine will come out as nice as yours. :)

th_IMG_0551.jpg

Oh! It looks nice. I've got some Simply Soft just waiting for a project like this. Thanks for the idea! I've got a favorite stitch pattern that I like, too: aleternating sc and dc in the same row, then dc in the sc and sc in the dc for the next row. Looks like I'll be doing another one soon. I've got so much of the One Pound in "left-overs" that I always use it when starting something new.

The foundation dc can be worked as a sc or hdc as well. It works so well. It does take practice to get used to it, but I change patterns now so I can use it whenever the pattern says ch x number of stitches, then sc (or hdc or dc) back over those ch for the second row.

We went to my wife's company "Holiday Dinner Party" last night. The seating was pre-assigned, and I was seated next to a man (and my wife on the other side, of course). Initially, it seemed to me the man and I had nothing in common (my wife is a nurse, and the man was a "Patient Councellor" or something like that), then my wife commented on his tie - it was crocheted! He remarked "Thank you. I made it." Of course that got ME into the conversation, and we talked crochet the rest of the evening.

Today, I had to try my hand at crocheting a tie for myself. Here is the result of my first attempt. The smile reflects how I feel about my first tie.

3097103042_15e76a722b_m.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Groovy, Man! You rock! Love the hats & plan to return soon to browse your entire

store! I hope some day to inspire my 13 &/or 10 yr old boys to crochet. Thanks

for the inspiration. :-)

3097103042_15e76a722b_m.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Groovy, Man! You rock! Love the hats & plan to return soon to browse your entire

store! I hope some day to inspire my 13 &/or 10 yr old boys to crochet. Thanks

for the inspiration. :-)

PS, I grew up in Redlands, CA.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! What were the odds that two men who had never laid eyes on each other before who BOTH crocheted would end up sitting together at a Christmas party! :lol That was lucky for you! At least it made for some good conversation for you at the party. That's the one drawback about work parties, the spouses almost always end having to make the best of things because all the employees, of course, know each other and have things in common to talk about, but not the spouses. This was an extreme stroke of luck for you! I REALLY like the tie, too! I LOVE that color!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Crochetdad! :)

Just wanted to let you know I tried out your necktie pattern for my StepDad for Christmas; did his in Paton SWS, self-striping in shades of charcoal and earthtones. It worked out great! I'm about to try another one in SWS, this one in Russet--I'll remember to photograph it for you this time!

CloudCat

Hi Crochetdad! :)

Just wanted to let you know I tried out your necktie pattern for my StepDad for Christmas; did his in Paton SWS, self-striping in shades of charcoal and earthtones. It worked out great! I'm about to try another one in SWS, this one in Russet--I'll remember to photograph it for you this time!

CloudCat

I'd love to see a picture!

Archived