first big doily

crazzy cow

Hi Becky! I also had the same problem whenever I crochet using thread (which is all the time). I just spray my project with some water then iron it out. It's the thread I sell as it works that way. I don't block them just iron them in warm setting to flatten it out. I hope this helps. Good luck!

It looks great so far Becky! It will flatten out for sure when you block it. I just started one tonight and it's a little wavy too. It just makes me want to work faster on it so I can block it flat sooner. :wink

Blocking will flatten it, and sometimes it's just the round you're working on. I've had rounds with lots of out there stuff, then the next round pulls it all together.

Blocking is your friend, though. ;)

Your looking good. :D Just looks like your pattern is in the large stage, as you complete the pineapples it should draw together somewhat, and Blocking will finish it to where it will lays flat. I too can get a little worried it isn't ever going to lay right. But 99 times out of 100 it does when all is said and done. The rare times it doesn't you have to wonder where the designer got lost.

Your doily is beautiful! You are doing a great job! Most all doilys have some waves in them when you start. Just try to keep your tension the same throughout, and practice makes perfect on that... I always block my doilies. I figure if I go to enough trouble to make them, I should block them to look their best. The way I block is dampening item with a spray bottle of water, pinning down points and edges to a piece of cardboard, and then spraying with starch a few times. It really does a nice job. The hardest part is pinning down...

Good Luck!

Stacey

thank you everybody. I was not sure if it was right or not. This is the first big one and was a little worried about it. When I am done it should be 16 inches I hope!!!!

:think What does everybody use for a board when they block a big doily.:)

I have a white foam board that my kids use for there puzzles.Will that work...

I have a macrome board that I use to pin my doilies down. Be sure to use rust-proof pins, too... you don't want little brown rust marks on every little picot of the doily! :eek (I just use good quality pins, they seem to work okay.)

I've found that it helps to pin from the center out, and to work evenly, i.e. pinning one place, then pinning across from it, and working my way around. It can be a little painstaking depending on how crazy you get with it, but the results are worth it I think. ^_^

Archived